Old August 1st 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default LAPD radios obsolete

This story on Channel 7 says the Motorola Astro radios that the Los
Angeles Police Dept. uses are 14 years old, out of production, and
becoming unreliable. The LAPD has its eye on a new radio, but it costs
$3400. Replacing 10,000 Astros will be expensive. No decision has been
made yet.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...cal&id=5529090

Years ago I used to carry an Astro on the job. When it replaced our
old MX350 and Sabre radios it was about the trickest thing we'd seen,
with features like scanning multiple talkgroups and private calling to
an individual radio over the trunked system.

--
Paul Hirose
To reply by email remove INVALID

Old August 1st 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"Paul Hirose" wrote in message
This story on Channel 7 says the Motorola Astro radios that the Los
Angeles Police Dept. uses are 14 years old, out of production, and
becoming unreliable. The LAPD has its eye on a new radio, but it costs
$3400. Replacing 10,000 Astros will be expensive. No decision has been
made yet.

$3400 for a basic APCO-25 radio? I don't think so. Buy a P-25 radio from
Kenwood or one of the other competitors and save $2K each.

http://www.actioncommunications.com/...=800MhzDigital

Old August 1st 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
"Paul Hirose" wrote in message
This story on Channel 7 says the Motorola Astro radios that the Los
Angeles Police Dept. uses are 14 years old, out of production, and
becoming unreliable. The LAPD has its eye on a new radio, but it costs
$3400. Replacing 10,000 Astros will be expensive. No decision has been
made yet.

$3400 for a basic APCO-25 radio? I don't think so. Buy a P-25 radio from
Kenwood or one of the other competitors and save $2K each.

http://www.actioncommunications.com/...=800MhzDigital

Thats what happens when you get overzealous salesmen and uninformed
politicians (or others) footing the bill. They take for granted - the
Sellers/Installers first price. I've seen it happen here far too often.

Old August 1st 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"Travis Jordan" wrote...
"Paul Hirose" wrote in message
This story on Channel 7 says the Motorola Astro radios that the Los
Angeles Police Dept. uses are 14 years old, out of production, and
becoming unreliable. The LAPD has its eye on a new radio, but it costs
$3400. Replacing 10,000 Astros will be expensive. No decision has been
made yet.

$3400 for a basic APCO-25 radio? I don't think so. Buy a P-25 radio from
Kenwood or one of the other competitors and save $2K each.

http://www.actioncommunications.com/...=800MhzDigital

Oops - sorry, wrong band -- should have been 470, not 800 Mhz.

Try Icom's IC-F80DT for the same price:
http://www.ga.wa.gov/pca/contract/02...e_I-052605.pdf

Identification of rare/obsolete parts Markus Wolfgart Homebrew 2 June 28th 06 04:00 PM
LAPD? [email protected] Scanner 1 November 20th 05 01:38 AM
Has R.R.Swap become obsolete? Ken Bessler Swap 4 August 17th 05 05:03 PM
Obsolete electronic syndrome! aka-OES Brian Hill Boatanchors 7 April 17th 05 01:04 PM
Obsolete electronic syndrome! aka-OES Brian Hill Shortwave 1 April 16th 05 02:39 PM