Old August 23rd 07, 01:02 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default FIPS Code. Entering the right one? Why can't I receive alerts??

029047 -- Are you suppose to Begin the code with the Zero?

Is it suppose to be 6 digits and if no number starts the 2nd of 6
digits, you're suppose to add a zero to the front?

A county for example is 21099 as listed with NWS, am I suppose to add
a zero to the front, making it 021099???

I set the radio up this way and did not receive the test signal
weekly. NWS guy told me Wednesdays 10am-noon was the time, it never
happened.
I'm quite concerned that this radio does not seem to currently have
the ability to alert me to even a TEST signal..

It's Midland Model #74-250
Here's the Manual for it
http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus...log/74-250.pdf

thanks if you can help me..

Old August 23rd 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"Crackles McFarly" wrote in message
029047 -- Are you suppose to Begin the code with the Zero?

Is it suppose to be 6 digits and if no number starts the 2nd of 6
digits, you're suppose to add a zero to the front?

A county for example is 21099 as listed with NWS, am I suppose to add
a zero to the front, making it 021099???

I set the radio up this way and did not receive the test signal
weekly. NWS guy told me Wednesdays 10am-noon was the time, it never
happened.
I'm quite concerned that this radio does not seem to currently have
the ability to alert me to even a TEST signal..

It's Midland Model #74-250
Here's the Manual for it
http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus...log/74-250.pdf

thanks if you can help me..

I'm wondering if your area NWS transmitter is "yet" - fixed up for such
transmissions. IF that radio operates (I don't know the unit) - like a "PL"
system, it "should" cut out all transmissions if a code - especially the
wrong one - is entered. The code - would block all transmissions "unless" a
sub audible tone is sent to open the receiver - "or" a tone sent ahead of a
message to open the receiver - depending on it's circuitry - that the radio
is waiting to get. The NWS was going ahead with placing County codes in for
each county so that an alert tone for a specific county could be sent -
rather than a "broad" alert - but the question is, is "all" of those offices
so equipped as yet? Example.... if the radio is on a PL of 151.4 hz, and you
have the radio set to pl (some radios can have pl turned off/set -
manually) - unless that receiver sees 151.4 Hz - either in front of the
message (alert tone) "or" subaudibly during the message - the receiver will
act dead. This "may" not be the "exact" way the radio is set up - but it is
probably as close as I can get to telling you how it "may" be behaving -
based on your issues and the manual - not knowing the radio due to lack of
ownership or schematic.

The manual gives a statement of: "and the "0" indicates the subdivision of
the county. In this case and most cases the code will have a zero for the
first digit, indicating that no subdivision is in use."

Therefore - YOU will have to find someone who knows if there is in fact a
subdivision or not. IF there is - then the "0" - would appear to be
inaccurate - and may need removed. OR experiment with it on "Wednesdays" til
you get it right. Yeah, it can be a pain. If you have no way to reproduce
the signal, it could be a bitch to get it right. There "is" a Phone number
AND internet address which "reportedly" have information on your particular
codes needed - listed in the manual

Are you sure you have the "correct" NWS freq installed? If not, no matter
what "code" you have in - you won't get anything.

It also says "When no icons are displayed, the radio is off. Only time and
temperature is active." Therefore - there will still be "minmal" current
drain from your batteries. I do suggest buying the NiMh batteries and
charging them. You'll pay a bit - but save money as well - in disposables.

I'm not trying to be smart by saying this, but it would be a help if you go
back through the manual and "READ" it - play with buttons, change settings
to get used to them and then set it as you wish - to familiarize yourself
completely with the radio. Once you get to know the radio better- maybe you
can better figure out what the issue is you are having. Not having one in
hand - those of us trying to help - are sort of helpless.

This is about all I can offer - if you keep having issues, try contacting
Midland - http://www.midlandradio.com/ they have a "Contact us" button
there.

I think I'm out of help for you at this stage. Good luck.

L.

Old August 23rd 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:02:00 -0400, Crackles McFarly
wrote:

:029047 -- Are you suppose to Begin the code with the Zero?

:Is it suppose to be 6 digits

Five digits.

http://nws.noaa.gov/mirs/public/prod..._fips_list.htm

Old August 23rd 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:17:09 -0400, "Radiosrfun"
wrote:

:"Crackles McFarly" wrote in message
. ..
: 029047 -- Are you suppose to Begin the code with the Zero?
:
: Is it suppose to be 6 digits and if no number starts the 2nd of 6
: digits, you're suppose to add a zero to the front?
:
: A county for example is 21099 as listed with NWS, am I suppose to add
: a zero to the front, making it 021099???
:
: I set the radio up this way and did not receive the test signal
: weekly. NWS guy told me Wednesdays 10am-noon was the time, it never
: happened.
: I'm quite concerned that this radio does not seem to currently have
: the ability to alert me to even a TEST signal..
:
: It's Midland Model #74-250
: Here's the Manual for it
: http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus...log/74-250.pdf
:
:
: thanks if you can help me..

snip helpful hints and info offered...

:I'm not trying to be smart by saying this, but it would be a help if you go
:back through the manual and "READ" it - play with buttons, change settings
:to get used to them and then set it as you wish - to familiarize yourself
:completely with the radio. Once you get to know the radio better- maybe you
:can better figure out what the issue is you are having. Not having one in
:hand - those of us trying to help - are sort of helpless.
:
:This is about all I can offer - if you keep having issues, try contacting
:Midland - http://www.midlandradio.com/ they have a "Contact us" button
:there.
:
:I think I'm out of help for you at this stage. Good luck.
:
:L.

Yep, me too. It helps to read the manual plus Google shows there is a
wealth of info available if you actually try and look for it.

Old August 24th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:17:09 -0400, "Radiosrfun"
sayd the following:

"Crackles McFarly" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

i'VE re-read the manual going on 10 times now.

And the local NWS transmitter works because my older radio receives
test and alerts like a charm.

Old August 24th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:32:35 -0400, Sarah Czepiel
sayd the following:

wrote:

[...]

I'm wondering what new unique piece of information my mind will
receive by reading the manual 11 times? i've read it 10 times
already..
I've also downloaded the PDF file, read it 6 times.

Old August 24th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:28:59 -0400, Sarah Czepiel
sayd the following:

wrote:

:029047 -- Are you suppose to Begin the code with the Zero?

:Is it suppose to be 6 digits

Five digits.

http://nws.noaa.gov/mirs/public/prod..._fips_list.htm

In that list, some show 6 digits, some show 6 digits with a leading
ZERO.

Old August 24th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

wrote:
:
::029047 -- Are you suppose to Begin the code with the Zero?
:
::Is it suppose to be 6 digits
:
:Five digits.
:
:http://nws.noaa.gov/mirs/public/prod..._fips_list.htm
:
:
:In that list, some show 6 digits, some show 6 digits with a leading
:ZERO.

Yeah, which ones?

http://nws.noaa.gov/mirs/public/prod...y_fips_def.htm
"The FIPS Codes shown here are 5-digit codes that are assigned to each
county. "
Old August 24th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 19:08:43 -0400, Crackles McFarly
wrote:

:On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:32:35 -0400, Sarah Czepiel
:sayd the following:
:
:On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:17:09 -0400, "Radiosrfun"
wrote:
:
::"Crackles McFarly" wrote in message
rg...
:: 029047 -- Are you suppose to Begin the code with the Zero?
::
[...]

Where have you searched on the net looking for an answer?
Old August 24th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

wrote:

:029047 -- Are you suppose to Begin the code with the Zero?

:Is it suppose to be 6 digits

Five digits.

http://nws.noaa.gov/mirs/public/prod..._fips_list.htm

In that list, some show 6 digits, some show 6 digits with a leading
ZERO.

There is a "statement" I quoted from your manual - which defines when or
not - the "0" is to be used........ Reread that section and look to the
charts avaolable for your area's codes.

L.

re-entering ham radio Chuck Sherwood CB 27 December 23rd 05 09:13 PM
re-entering ham radio moparholic Policy 24 December 23rd 05 09:13 PM
re-entering ham radio moparholic Swap 24 December 23rd 05 09:13 PM
Icom R5 Receiver - Entering Frequency Chris Scanner 0 January 16th 05 06:36 PM
WEATHER ALERTS RON CATHERS Scanner 1 July 29th 03 02:41 PM