Old December 1st 05, 06:27 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
moparholic

Default re-entering ham radio

Chuck Sherwood wrote:
First of all. What happed to rec.radio.amateur? It is not supported on
my server.

Second. I was a ham back in the 90s. I have been inactive since 1996.
I had lots of gear and sold it all because I was tired of the hobby.
I am beginning to regret selling some of it. I had some really nice
antenna tuners, Heathkit SM220, nice TenTec radios, VHF/UHF all mode
all the way up to 1.2G, etc. All gone.

I just acquired a Kenwood 520 to listen to the HF bands. It seems
like a nice basic radio that will do for a while. I really would like
to get on 80m but I don't have the room for a 80m dipole. Is the
matching Kenwood tuner a good one? I think it will be a while before
any good hamfests because of the Wx in chicago.

I researched rigs on line and so far I like the Icom 746 Pro but
I'm not ready to spend that kind of cash.

I was also told that I can upgrade to Extra with just a written
test. Since my license expires in 2 years it seems like the thing
to aim for.

I still have a couple of ham friends so I will probably pick their
brains, but I open to suggestions!

chuck
K1CAS

Hey Chuck,

Check out your local club, but they aren't interested in having their
brains picked. They'd much rather have you pick their booty.

Old December 1st 05, 01:54 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
dontspam

I would foget ham radio. It is on the way out.
Get some woodworking tools.

Old December 1st 05, 03:05 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Chuck Sherwood

I would foget ham radio. It is on the way out.
Get some woodworking tools.

That is what they said 10 years ago..
I still hear signals on the bands so at least somebody
is xmitting...

I don't particularly like woodworking.

chuck
Old December 1st 05, 05:14 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
dontspam

Sure you hear lots of signals on the bands. Appliance operators and
cb'ers.

Old December 1st 05, 08:49 PM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Chuck Sherwood

I still hear signals on the bands so at least somebody is xmitting...

Sure you hear lots of signals on the bands. Appliance operators and
cb'ers.

I doubt that CBs are sending morse code. I heard some CW signals
that sould like beginners too so perhaps there is some new blood
in the hobby.

Anyway I would rather be listening to the radio that read some of
the crap that is posted in these newsgroups. I don't the condition
of ham radio but I must say the condition of news groups associated
with ham radio have declined a lot since I last read them.

I must say that someones advice to find a local club is the way
to go. At least people there are interested in HR and not just
there to kick other people or make dirty jokes.

chuck

Old December 2nd 05, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Woody

Heh.. nobody out there willing to "Elmer"...

However, there does seem to be a plethora of people looking to inflate their
egos,
or better yet, sit and tell others how clueless they are; and call it
teaching.
Then there's a few that I'd swear could literally dumb another person to
death with their random babble.
It's funny [and not limited to ham radio] that only the 'can't teach' types
always seem be the teachers.
Plus, I've never met a ham that wasn't involved in/obsessed with, a
power-struggle of some sort.
Who needs it?

No one wants to show you how to do something, they just want to talk about
how you can't.
[see below]

The truly intelligent only pass through amateur radio, finding out they were
better off without it.
So, yes ma'am, nothing left but appliance ops and CB-types that won't listen
anyone and think they know it all.
It's a pathetic cycle, eh?

Oh, and ham isn't going anywhere... it's akin to a bug on a windshield....
wipe on it and all you get is a bigger mess that still won't go away.

rb
....with another shameless plug for www.hamsexy.com

Old December 2nd 05, 03:29 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
dontspam

Amen Woody

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 02:08:14 GMT, "Woody"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old December 10th 05, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
2Test Woger

"Dana" wrote in message
x.com...
You don't hear anyone talking about building equipment anymore for sure.

Duhhhhhhhhhh, you haven't seen an amateur radio exam in the
last 35 years that requires technical competence to pass.
And you can thank the FCC & ARRL for that and the present
state of ham radio.

FCC & ARRL - Partners in the Culture of Corruption

Old December 10th 05, 03:08 AM posted to rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap
Steveo

re-entering ham radio

Who cares?