Old October 31st 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave

Default Considering purchasing Winradio WR-315e - What do you think?

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a WR-305e or a WR-315e. I want to use it
for monitoring some VHF/UHF digital communications.

I've read a lot of bad things about Winradio, but most of what was
written is old. I'm wondering if people still don't like the Winradio
receivers or if they've finally earned some respect.

I must have a receiver that can provide a digital stream via USB to a
computer. This can be digital audio, I/Q samples out of an ADC, or a
digitized IF. I can not use the computer's sound card for
digitization. What other receivers should I consider? I can't find
anything that competes with the WR-3x5e.

The WR-305e is around $750 and I think the WR-315e is around $2500.
I'm not sure if I need the better receiver for my application.

Thank you very much for any information or advice you might provide.

John

Old October 31st 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave

John wrote in news:1193791578.351773.105960@
50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com:

I must have a receiver that can provide a digital stream via USB to a
computer. This can be digital audio, I/Q samples out of an ADC, or a
digitized IF. I can not use the computer's sound card for
digitization.

I'm not sure if this is a primary consideration, but if it is, consider
that there are small usb powered a/d devices -- like the Turtle Beach Audio
Advantage SRM for example -- that can provide you with a digital stream
over usb, independent of your pc's soundcard. That might enable you to
widen your radio search. Just a thought.
Old November 3rd 07, 04:44 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.shortwave

John wrote:

[...]

WinRadio had a bunch of offerings prior to their SDRs. They generally
weren't good unless working under ideal circumstances, which never
happens.

The SDRs, on the other hand, are a different story. Now, I don't know
the specifics of the 305 series, but there are two SDR types of
different price ranges and designs, but with similar capabilities.

If the 305 uses the computer to do the final detection and filtering
and requires you to use the sound card, that's probably not a bad way
to go. (There's then a corresponding 315 series, right, that can work
without the sound card?) These radios aren't perfect. But they are
damned flexible and capable with some weaknesses.

Don't expect them to be as good as the cream of the crop. But they
are a lot of fun.

I have an early, HF only 303i.

--
Eric F. Richards

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- Myron Glass,
often attributed to J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940
Old November 11th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

John a écrit :
Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a WR-305e or a WR-315e. I want to use it
for monitoring some VHF/UHF digital communications.

I've read a lot of bad things about Winradio, but most of what was
written is old. I'm wondering if people still don't like the Winradio
receivers or if they've finally earned some respect.

I must have a receiver that can provide a digital stream via USB to a
computer. This can be digital audio, I/Q samples out of an ADC, or a
digitized IF. I can not use the computer's sound card for
digitization. What other receivers should I consider? I can't find
anything that competes with the WR-3x5e.

The WR-305e is around $750 and I think the WR-315e is around $2500.
I'm not sure if I need the better receiver for my application.

Thank you very much for any information or advice you might provide.

Hi ! i own a G305e.
the G315e is the same SDR but have better sensibility, selectivity, etc ...
I higly suggest to buy the pro demodulator and Virtual SoundBridge option.

The soundbridge is a virtual soundcard.
So you can connect the sound output of the Winradio software to the
sound input of another software (eg : Spectrum Lab, SkySweeper) without
using your "hardware" soundcard and the noise and glitch coming from the
DAC/ADC converters. You can also stream the IF output of the winradio to
another software if, for some reason, you don't want to use the winradio
demodulator. But you can, also, use the winradio software demodulator
and still streaming the IF output at the same time.

Exemple of usage, CW contest monitoring :
- stream the IF output to spectrumLab's waterfall and see all CW
communication ...
- ... while using the winradio's demodulator, filter, etc to listen to
one specific CW transmission
- it work of course with any demodulator.

The IF filter bandwith is tunable with 1hz step from a dozen of hertz to
20Khz.
Additionally it come with a software low pass and band-pass Audio filter.

There is a DRM demodulator option too.

I'm happy with it, but i'm not an experienced SWL (and not licenced for
hamradio emission... yet )

It's very easy to use, highly configurable.
I use it for stanag, rtty, fsk, rtty, qsk, mfsk, drm, am, fm, ssb, sstv,
HFFAX, and any mode with an available software demodulator since you're
not tied to winradio's demodulator thanks to the IF output streaming
capability.

Of course you can forget any hardware modification, it's highly
integrated stuff, and maybe a reason to be hated by "oldschool" radio
operator.

i own a SommerKamp FRG-7700 too and i really miss the realtime spectrum
analyser. (and some dozen of other features too )

If you're ready to spend more money on a SDR you can check the FLEX-5000
SDR (it's a 100W SDR transceiver)

--
Ker2x