Old November 15th 07, 01:28 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner, rec.radio.scanner

Default Longest distance for Scanner Reception

Enjoying my new scanner, recently listened to the traffic generated
after a young man
attempting to rob a bank, was pursued and speedily captured by New
Yorks Finest.

I occasionally pick up New Paltz N.Y. over 70 miles away on my Uniden
BC 95 Scanner;

( Truck stuck under the toll booth )

Even though I am ~ 300 feet above sea level, I find this remarkable.

Go a rat shack Center loaded whip,

am waiting for Fair Radio to send me some co-ax

http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php...item&item=1291

so I can mount the whole thing in a window . .

Is there any record for long distance reception on scanners; ?

BarnegateDx

Old November 15th 07, 01:38 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 05:28:12 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Enjoying my new scanner, recently listened to the traffic generated
after a young man
attempting to rob a bank, was pursued and speedily captured by New
Yorks Finest.

I occasionally pick up New Paltz N.Y. over 70 miles away on my Uniden
BC 95 Scanner;

( Truck stuck under the toll booth )

Even though I am ~ 300 feet above sea level, I find this remarkable.

Go a rat shack Center loaded whip,

am waiting for Fair Radio to send me some co-ax

http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php...item&item=1291

so I can mount the whole thing in a window . .

Is there any record for long distance reception on scanners; ?

BarnegateDx

During the '90-'91 Gulf War, monitors in the continental USA were
receiving Kuwait on the VHF Low band.
Old November 15th 07, 02:16 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

wrote:

Enjoying my new scanner, recently listened to the traffic generated
after a young man
attempting to rob a bank, was pursued and speedily captured by New
Yorks Finest.

I occasionally pick up New Paltz N.Y. over 70 miles away on my Uniden
BC 95 Scanner;

( Truck stuck under the toll booth )

Even though I am ~ 300 feet above sea level, I find this remarkable.

Go a rat shack Center loaded whip,

am waiting for Fair Radio to send me some co-ax

http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php...item&item=1291

so I can mount the whole thing in a window . .

Is there any record for long distance reception on scanners; ?

BarnegateDx

During the '90-'91 Gulf War, monitors in the continental USA were
receiving Kuwait on the VHF Low band.

If the conditions are right, I can receive the Fire and Police Services from
the Santa Monica and Orange County area of California - and I live in PA. A
school friend of mine - went out there once to work and told me he heard our
neighboring county out there - on their radio system. We're talking close to
3000 miles. It doesn't happen often, but it has a few times. Jupiter Florida
is another we can hear on occasion - over 1000 miles away.
That one comes in fairly often during storms. Otherwise, we have freqs in
our scanner that do routinely pick up - at least 100 miles away.Using an
"indoor" antenna. BUT - the strange part is - if you're ready for this - "I"
know "why" it happens; we can't pick up the city 40 miles from us - at all.
WHY? We live behind a hill blocking them completely off. If we go 3 miles
down the road - we can pick all of their stuff up on a portable scanner.

FM can be very interesting.........

Old November 16th 07, 11:09 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

wrote:

[...]

A friend who is a dispatcher for a local 911 center says that they will
randomly pick up Emergency-Comm signals from other centers in different
states. Seems to happen fairly frequently.
Old November 16th 07, 11:13 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

"PhattyMo" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

Considering where most "Comms centers" have their towers and so on - not
surprising! But for scanners not always at that advantage - it is pretty
neat to hear "Skip" on it. I enjoy it every time I hear it.

Old November 15th 07, 02:11 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

I monitor fire and EMS in the Hampton Roads area (Norfolk is the largest
city near me).

I have a Scantenna up at about 40" and run in with LMR-400 coax to my RS
Pro-96.

One evening back in August I heard a call go out for a MVA with an
overturned vehicle at Mile Marker 44. I knew this was not near me as
our Interstate mile markers are in the 150s. I kept listening and got
the location as the New Jersey Turnpike Mt. Holly. That is 217 miles
from me!

Brian

Brian J. Rueger "Who dares wins"
Capt.(Ret)/Paramedic Hampton, VA.
B.S.Comm/I/Pilot MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199
Check out my personal home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
Check out my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/member/skypilot
Check out some of my other photography: http://tinyurl.com/or7kc
"Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"
Old November 15th 07, 06:01 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

In article e1782ae3-bc84-41a3-bd6d-
, says...

Enjoying my new scanner, recently listened to the traffic generated
after a young man
attempting to rob a bank, was pursued and speedily captured by New
Yorks Finest.

I occasionally pick up New Paltz N.Y. over 70 miles away on my Uniden
BC 95 Scanner;

( Truck stuck under the toll booth )

Even though I am ~ 300 feet above sea level, I find this remarkable.

Go a rat shack Center loaded whip,

am waiting for Fair Radio to send me some co-ax

http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php...item&item=1291

so I can mount the whole thing in a window . .

Is there any record for long distance reception on scanners; ?

BarnegateDx

It's a whole lot further than 70 miles. I'm in Ohio and have heard
California "Chips" and Texas units on low band, a bunch of New England
police and fire on VHF Hi, and Minnesota, Wisconsin, and a couple of
other PD and FD's from the area on UHF.

BDK
Old November 16th 07, 02:57 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

" wrote in news:e1782ae3-bc84-41a3-
:

Enjoying my new scanner, recently listened to the traffic generated
after a young man
attempting to rob a bank, was pursued and speedily captured by New
Yorks Finest.

I occasionally pick up New Paltz N.Y. over 70 miles away on my Uniden
BC 95 Scanner;

( Truck stuck under the toll booth )

Even though I am ~ 300 feet above sea level, I find this remarkable.

Go a rat shack Center loaded whip,

am waiting for Fair Radio to send me some co-ax

http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php...item&item=1291

so I can mount the whole thing in a window . .

Is there any record for long distance reception on scanners; ?

BarnegateDx

Barring freak atmospheric conditions known as "skip", which can bounce
signals 1,000's of miles, VHF/UHF comms are "line of sight", obviously a
self explanitory term.

The higher your receiver, the greater reception range ... Which is why you
see antennas on high masts, or at least in the highest practical location.
Out in a desert or on the ocean, where you can see from horizon to horizon
with no interuptions, your line of sight reception is likely to be 40 miles
+.
In an urban environment, with many obstacles to radio waves, you can expect
considerably less ... Though once again, exceptions are known to happen,
and also variables such as the power output of the emitting radio can and
do affect range.
Old November 16th 07, 02:23 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 02:57:03 GMT, Your name wrote:

[...]

Sometimes 42 mHz is VHF; sometimes it's shortwave.

Longest distance MW, AM broadcast you ever had ??? Michael Shortwave 39 February 26th 09 04:14 AM
The Longest Call Sign ZBM2 Policy 0 July 10th 07 03:16 AM
The Longest Call Sign ZBM2 General 0 July 10th 07 03:14 AM
Your longest-lasting SW receiver? Buzzygirl Shortwave 46 April 11th 06 05:45 PM
Outdoor Scanner antenna and eventually a reference to SW reception Soliloquy Shortwave 2 September 29th 03 04:04 PM