Old November 16th 07, 11:09 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

Default Longest distance for Scanner Reception

radiosrfun wrote:
"David" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 05:28:12 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Enjoying my new scanner, recently listened to the traffic generated
after a young man
attempting to rob a bank, was pursued and speedily captured by New
Yorks Finest.

I occasionally pick up New Paltz N.Y. over 70 miles away on my Uniden
BC 95 Scanner;

( Truck stuck under the toll booth )

Even though I am ~ 300 feet above sea level, I find this remarkable.

Go a rat shack Center loaded whip,

am waiting for Fair Radio to send me some co-ax

http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php...item&item=1291

so I can mount the whole thing in a window . .

Is there any record for long distance reception on scanners; ?

BarnegateDx

During the '90-'91 Gulf War, monitors in the continental USA were
receiving Kuwait on the VHF Low band.

If the conditions are right, I can receive the Fire and Police Services from
the Santa Monica and Orange County area of California - and I live in PA. A
school friend of mine - went out there once to work and told me he heard our
neighboring county out there - on their radio system. We're talking close to
3000 miles. It doesn't happen often, but it has a few times. Jupiter Florida
is another we can hear on occasion - over 1000 miles away.
That one comes in fairly often during storms. Otherwise, we have freqs in
our scanner that do routinely pick up - at least 100 miles away.Using an
"indoor" antenna. BUT - the strange part is - if you're ready for this - "I"
know "why" it happens; we can't pick up the city 40 miles from us - at all.
WHY? We live behind a hill blocking them completely off. If we go 3 miles
down the road - we can pick all of their stuff up on a portable scanner.

FM can be very interesting.........

A friend who is a dispatcher for a local 911 center says that they will
randomly pick up Emergency-Comm signals from other centers in different
states. Seems to happen fairly frequently.
Old November 16th 07, 11:13 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

"PhattyMo" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

Considering where most "Comms centers" have their towers and so on - not
surprising! But for scanners not always at that advantage - it is pretty
neat to hear "Skip" on it. I enjoy it every time I hear it.

Old November 18th 07, 07:18 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

a écrit dans le message de news:
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 05:28:12 -0800 (PST), " wrote:

Is there any record for long distance reception on scanners; ?

Scanners can receive signals from the other side of the world.

Not mine.
--
'Brother Can You Spare Another Piece of Cake?'
Old November 21st 07, 03:33 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

wrote in message

Enjoying my new scanner, recently listened to the traffic generated
after a young man
attempting to rob a bank, was pursued and speedily captured by New
Yorks Finest.

I occasionally pick up New Paltz N.Y. over 70 miles away on my Uniden
BC 95 Scanner;

( Truck stuck under the toll booth )

Even though I am ~ 300 feet above sea level, I find this remarkable.

Go a rat shack Center loaded whip,

am waiting for Fair Radio to send me some co-ax

http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php...item&item=1291

so I can mount the whole thing in a window . .

Is there any record for long distance reception on scanners; ?

BarnegateDx

Wait for sun spot max, you'll get lots of sporadic e, I've heard
transmissions from england & ireland on the vhf low band!

Old November 21st 07, 03:49 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

wrote in message

Enjoying my new scanner, recently listened to the traffic generated
after a young man
attempting to rob a bank, was pursued and speedily captured by New
Yorks Finest.

I occasionally pick up New Paltz N.Y. over 70 miles away on my Uniden
BC 95 Scanner;

( Truck stuck under the toll booth )

Even though I am ~ 300 feet above sea level, I find this remarkable.

Go a rat shack Center loaded whip,

am waiting for Fair Radio to send me some co-ax

http://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php...item&item=1291

so I can mount the whole thing in a window . .

Is there any record for long distance reception on scanners; ?

BarnegateDx

Wait for sun spot max, you'll get lots of sporadic e, I've heard
transmissions from england & ireland on the vhf low band!

When's the next sun spot max?
--
'Brother Can You Spare Another Piece of Cake?'
Old December 10th 07, 11:58 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

Wait for sun spot max, you'll get lots of sporadic e, I've heard
transmissions from england & ireland on the vhf low band!

When's the next sun spot max?

We are at the very bottom of the solar sunspot cycle right now.
Long distance HF radio communications should improve steadily for the next
four years or so. You can check on the current solar conditions he
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SolarCycle/
Keep in mind that most of the frequency bands found on a typical scanner are
too high to be greatly affected by the solar cycle.

Old December 13th 07, 11:06 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner
xx xx is offline

"Kilgore Trout Jr." wrote in message
Wait for sun spot max, you'll get lots of sporadic e, I've heard
transmissions from england & ireland on the vhf low band!

When's the next sun spot max?

We are at the very bottom of the solar sunspot cycle right now.
Long distance HF radio communications should improve steadily for the next
four years or so. You can check on the current solar conditions he
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SolarCycle/
Keep in mind that most of the frequency bands found on a typical scanner

are
too high to be greatly affected by the solar cycle.

During the second world war, I understand that American amateurs (or
possibly CB) were picking up German inter-tank communications from North
Africa on the 27Mcs band and were relaying information back to the allied
troops in N. Africa.

Old December 14th 07, 12:12 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

[...]

Well; it wasn't on the CB, 27 MHz AM band
was started in 1958. I've heard stories
about HAMs and short-wave junkies picking
up all kinds of activity during 'the war'.
There are STILL militarizes using the AM
Hi Frequency band. Interesting, tho: the
German --at least the Panzer Divisions--
were known to broadcast on VHF-Lo in
FM. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.
--
"...To build may have to be the slow and
laborious task of years. To destroy can be

Sir Winston Churchill

And, 500,000 Patagonian Pygmies nod their heads
in total agreement.
http://tinyurl.com/2b2bk7
http://tinyurl.com/2b2bk7
http://tinyurl.com/2b2bk7
Old December 14th 07, 04:26 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

Scott W phony scientist extraordinaire wrote:

Well; it wasn't on the CB, 27 MHz AM band
was started in 1958. I've heard stories
about HAMs and short-wave junkies picking
up all kinds of activity during 'the war'.
There are STILL militarizes using the AM
Hi Frequency band. Interesting, tho: the
German --at least the Panzer Divisions--
were known to broadcast on VHF-Lo in
FM. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

HF and VHF-Low are adjacent and have overlapping characteristics ca. 30 mHz.

Longest distance MW, AM broadcast you ever had ??? Michael Shortwave 39 February 26th 09 04:14 AM
The Longest Call Sign ZBM2 Policy 0 July 10th 07 03:16 AM
The Longest Call Sign ZBM2 General 0 July 10th 07 03:14 AM
Your longest-lasting SW receiver? Buzzygirl Shortwave 46 April 11th 06 05:45 PM
Outdoor Scanner antenna and eventually a reference to SW reception Soliloquy Shortwave 2 September 29th 03 04:04 PM