Old October 18th 03, 12:39 AM
Michael

Default Longest distance MW, AM broadcast you ever had ???

Hiya..

Any offerings regarding the longest distance MW, AM broadcast that you ever
got ???

Mine, here in NJ, has been: 580 KMJ in Fresno, CA. It's a 50KW station
that I have been able to hear a few times during exceptional MW conditions.
I had to use SSB, NB, several tweaks to the pbt and my "Frankenstein"
antenna, but I was able to hear the station ID.

Any other war stories out there ???
--
Respectfully,

Michael

Home Page: http://md_dxing.tripod.com/
Northern NJ
R75 w/DSP, Kiwa agc/sync & audio mods
G5RV & 200ft longwire w/ICE-180
MFJ-1048 preselector
SoundBlstr Live PC card w/five piece Cambridge
speakers & full software mixer/eq.

Old October 18th 03, 01:01 AM
--exray--

Michael wrote:
Hiya..

Any offerings regarding the longest distance MW, AM broadcast that you ever
got ???

Mine, here in NJ, has been: 580 KMJ in Fresno, CA. It's a 50KW station
that I have been able to hear a few times during exceptional MW conditions.
I had to use SSB, NB, several tweaks to the pbt and my "Frankenstein"
antenna, but I was able to hear the station ID.

Any other war stories out there ???
--
Respectfully,

Michael

From this location (KP4) my best on MW has been CBN on 860 from Rio de
Janeiro. I think its 100kw. Checks in at 3200 miles. Actually I hear
it quite often.
I hear the European carriers quite often but never with enough strength
to "claim" them.

-Bill M

Old October 18th 03, 01:13 AM
Tony Meloche

Michael wrote:

Hiya..

Any offerings regarding the longest distance MW, AM broadcast that you ever
got ???

Mine, here in NJ, has been: 580 KMJ in Fresno, CA. It's a 50KW station
that I have been able to hear a few times during exceptional MW conditions.
I had to use SSB, NB, several tweaks to the pbt and my "Frankenstein"
antenna, but I was able to hear the station ID.

Any other war stories out there ???
--
Respectfully,

Michael

Actually posted one of mine a few weeks ago here, but my two best
catches have been (the station now known as) KNUS in Denver, CO from my
room at home in Detroit when I was a kid (1964). A 5,000W station from
1200 miles away. I still remember that late afternoon (KNUS was on the
grayline at the time I got the reception).

I also pulled CMBV from Wajay, Cuba not long ago, which was my first
foreign (excluding Canada) AM broadcast. That's about 1350 miles from
where I live now, but it is listed as a 500,000W station! But it was a
heck of a kick to know I was listening to an ordinary AM station from
another part of the world.

Tony

Old October 18th 03, 02:02 AM
Gregg

Behold, Michael signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Hiya..

Any offerings regarding the longest distance MW, AM broadcast that you
ever got ???

Insane DX about a month ago. Pulled in a Korean station from here in
Vancouver.

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old October 18th 03, 04:13 AM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

Norway to Pennsylvania. I didn't find it on my own, I happened to read about it
on this newsgroup a few years ago and tuned in while the band was still open.

Old October 18th 03, 04:42 AM
J999w

Caracas, Venezuela or PJB Bonaire, Netherland Antilles from here in Milwaukee ,
WI. Each approx 2,500 miles. Mexico City is pretty regular here, thats about
1,700 miles.

I've actually done better on Longwave hearing Iceland and Europe, thats about 3
- 4,000 miles.

jw
wb9uai
milwaukee
Old October 18th 03, 05:53 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Michael wrote:
Any offerings regarding the longest distance MW, AM broadcast that you ever
got ???

Talk Radio U.K., 1053 and 1089KHz. (both frequencies heard) Exact
distance is hard to estimate, as they have several high-powered
transmitters on both frequencies and there's no way to know which
transmitters I was hearing. (probably the sum of several)

I've heard a loud 1KHz heterodyne against 1520 WWKB, which almost
certainly came from Saudi Arabia, but with no audio heard I'm not
claiming it.

Going the other direction, my best Western DX would be 690 CBU and 1130
CKWX, both Vancouver, Canada. CBU heard battling with flea-powered KOAQ
in western Nebraska and a French-language station in Saskatchewan, with
the 50KW powerhouse in Montreal off the air. CKWX is actually heard
surprisingly often here on the big antenna.

Mine, here in NJ, has been: 580 KMJ in Fresno, CA. It's a 50KW station
that I have been able to hear a few times during exceptional MW conditions.
I had to use SSB, NB, several tweaks to the pbt and my "Frankenstein"
antenna, but I was able to hear the station ID.

I kinda hate to throw water on the fire, but are you SURE you heard KMJ?

California is pretty tough even from here, let alone from New Jersey.
Most East Coast DXers report 640 KFI, 680 KNBR (the most reliable
California signal here), and 1070 KNX. I don't think I've ever seen a
report of KMJ from east of the Rockies. KMJ is only 50KW during the day
(they reduce to 5KW at sunset) and is directional during the day. (my
educated guess is they protect Boise and Topeka. The latter null is in
a line to your location.)

I won't say it's *impossible* you heard KMJ but I do think it's rather
unlikely. My guess is you heard some other station (maybe WHP
Harrisburg?) carrying the same network as KMJ and mentioning the
California station.

Keep at it. You *will* hear California soon enough!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old October 18th 03, 05:56 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Tony Meloche wrote:
I also pulled CMBV from Wajay, Cuba not long ago, which was my first
foreign (excluding Canada) AM broadcast. That's about 1350 miles from
where I live now, but it is listed as a 500,000W station! But it was a
heck of a kick to know I was listening to an ordinary AM station from
another part of the world.

Most observers believe many of the Cuban stations listed with extremely
high powers are not using anywhere near as much power as listed. (with
the loosening of relations between Russia and Cuba, they're having an
electricity crisis and power for operating broadcast transmitters is
scarce) It's quite likely CMBV's power was a lot close to 50,000W,
making it an even better catch!