Old May 1st 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

Default ( OT) Save Windows XP

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 05:23:45 -0700, dave spake
thusly:

Opus- wrote:
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 05:25:39 -0700, dave spake
thusly:

www.ubuntu.com

Been there done that. Didn't like it. Slowed my computer right down
and a terrible convoluted mess to try and install anything outside of
the cult offerings.

The cult offerings are quite expansive.

Nothing exciting there. Many things depend on your particular GUI.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/

Odd, most people report a marked improvement in performance, especially
if using Xubuntu.

No performance advantage whatsoever. I also found it to be a
convoluted mess to install many applications. I tried many different
versions with different computers. I had a dual boot setup for a
number of months. I kept going back to Windows XP. I tried Ubuntu,
Mandrake and Red Hat. I didn't give up easily or lightly.

Old May 1st 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

Opus- wrote:
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 05:25:39 -0700, dave spake
thusly:

www.ubuntu.com
Been there done that. Didn't like it. Slowed my computer right down
and a terrible convoluted mess to try and install anything outside of
the cult offerings.

The cult offerings are quite expansive.

Nothing exciting there. Many things depend on your particular GUI.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/

Odd, most people report a marked improvement in performance, especially
if using Xubuntu.

No performance advantage whatsoever. I also found it to be a
convoluted mess to install many applications. I tried many different
versions with different computers. I had a dual boot setup for a
number of months. I kept going back to Windows XP. I tried Ubuntu,
Mandrake and Red Hat. I didn't give up easily or lightly.

Whatever. I felt a great sense of liberation when I ditched the
uberparanoid snarky world of Windows.
Old May 1st 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

Opus- wrote:
[...]

I too have a dual Boot machine; XP / Ubuntu..

-I enjoy having the Unix window for commands;

- Just like at work !

caveats;

there are still some problems if you stress things like graphics, ;
- Hence the recovery mode . -

- And since my machine is dual boot, I can still go over to teh XP
side & search around for solutins.

I have been testing importing different applications to Ubuntu from XP;
\\- and have had surprisingly good results !

For most Users, and those on a tight budget, Ubuntu can do just as
well as windows

- And it's FREE !

Old May 2nd 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

harvey wrote:
Opus- wrote:
[...]

I've never crashed my Ubuntu boxes. If I did, I'd use a live CD of
Puppy Linux, to poke around.

And it's indeed free, in more ways than one.
Old May 26th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

On May 2, 8:54 am, dave wrote:
harvey wrote:
Opus- wrote:
[...]

It can get corrupted if you poke at it too hard;

- hence the Linux For Dummies Books

Old May 27th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner

harvey wrote:

- And it's FREE !

I've never crashed my Ubuntu boxes. If I did, I'd use a live CD of
Puppy Linux, to poke around.

And it's indeed free, in more ways than one.

It can get corrupted if you poke at it too hard;

- hence the Linux For Dummies Books

People who lack basic skills will forever be slaves to technology.
Microsoft is a very paranoid universe. Top to bottom; bottom to top...

Windows Henry Kolesnik Antenna 0 August 5th 03 11:28 PM
PDA: Palm or Windows? Ken Equipment 4 July 7th 03 06:57 PM