Old May 25th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default WTB: Bill Cheek's Scanner Mod Handbooks

Looking for all 3 in excellent condition. Let me know what you have!

Frank

Old May 26th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Sun, 25 May 2008 08:36:43 -0700, "Frank"
wrote:

Looking for all 3 in excellent condition. Let me know what you have!

Frank

I think that I have them, I'll have to search around.

I will mention however that I have another item which may be of
interest to Bill Cheek fans. I have the HB-232 unit which Bill
designed to control the PRO-2006. I have the following:

PRO-2006 scanner with HB-232 installed -- PRO-2006 is in excellent
condition with box, manuals, etc.
Original PRO-2006 Service manual
HB-232 Documentation set

Please contact me at if you're interested in any
of these items. I'll seach for the Cheek books tonight.

Fred E.
Ohio
Old May 28th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On May 25, 10:36*am, "Frank" wrote:
Looking for all 3 in excellent condition. Let me know what you have!

Frank

I have all 3 books in excellent condition. I would like to get $20
each and I will ship by media mail or USPS Priority whichever you
would like. Let me know if you are interestsed in any or all and I
will get you the shipping cost and you can pay with paypal if you want
or we can discuss other payment options.--Gary
Old May 31st 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"zonian149" wrote in message
On May 25, 10:36 am, "Frank" wrote:
Looking for all 3 in excellent condition. Let me know what you have!

Frank

I have all 3 books in excellent condition. I would like to get $20
each and I will ship by media mail or USPS Priority whichever you
would like. Let me know if you are interestsed in any or all and I
will get you the shipping cost and you can pay with paypal if you want
or we can discuss other payment options.--Gary

Let us all know if you ever actually receive any money
from this clown. He has been pulling this scam for over a year
now. He asks for the books, then settles on a price and he says
he'll send the money and you never hear from him again.
I dont think his paper route pays enough.

Old June 13th 08, 06:43 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"Benny Hill" wrote in newslf0k.188273$yE1.46285@attbi_s21:

"zonian149" wrote in message
On May 25, 10:36 am, "Frank" wrote:
Looking for all 3 in excellent condition. Let me know what you have!

Frank

I have all 3 books in excellent condition. I would like to get $20
each and I will ship by media mail or USPS Priority whichever you
would like. Let me know if you are interestsed in any or all and I
will get you the shipping cost and you can pay with paypal if you want
or we can discuss other payment options.--Gary

Let us all know if you ever actually receive any money
from this clown. He has been pulling this scam for over a year
now. He asks for the books, then settles on a price and he says
he'll send the money and you never hear from him again.
I dont think his paper route pays enough.

Is he hoping to corner the market on ancient scanner modification books ?

Old June 14th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"zonian149" wrote in message
On May 25, 10:36 am, "Frank" wrote:
Looking for all 3 in excellent condition. Let me know what you have!

Frank

I have all 3 books in excellent condition. I would like to get $20
each and I will ship by media mail or USPS Priority whichever you
would like. Let me know if you are interestsed in any or all and I
will get you the shipping cost and you can pay with paypal if you want
or we can discuss other payment options.--Gary

Let us all know if you ever actually receive any money
from this clown. He has been pulling this scam for over a year
now. He asks for the books, then settles on a price and he says
he'll send the money and you never hear from him again.
I dont think his paper route pays enough.

Is he hoping to corner the market on ancient scanner modification books ?

I dont know what he wants. Most if not all the mods in Cheeks books
are for scanners made during the 80's, which by todays standards are
hopefully outdated, slow etc. Buy a new scanner for Christs sake.
Not to mention one of the "speed up" mods to one scanner I had
sure sped it up,,, so fast that it never stopped on a signal.. back in
with the original xtal.

Old June 15th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

?

I dont know what he wants. Most if not all the mods in Cheeks books
are for scanners made during the 80's, which by todays standards are
hopefully outdated, slow etc. Buy a new scanner for Christs sake.
Not to mention one of the "speed up" mods to one scanner I had
sure sped it up,,, so fast that it never stopped on a signal.. back in
with the original xtal.

I got all 3 books, I was quite the modding fool with my 2006 back in the
day.
Still got it [and the books], though I haven't used it in years.
I got the LED S meter mod, signal squelch mod, center freq LED mod, at
least 4 others.
I got a total of 7 add on switches on the face, a couple I forgot what they
are even for.
Oh yeah, one of them, used in conjunction with a jack on the back, kicked
in a circuit when squelch broke, that way if you were recording, it only
records when squelch breaks ... Which, of course, is when you want it to
record.
I used to record alot of surveilence operations when the DEA/FBI ect used
to typically run them in the clear, and this little mod was great for
recording those.
The most complex was the double memory mod, which basically involved piggy
backing the memory chip with another, and soldering all the tiny legs
together except for 1 each, which leads to a switch so you can choose
between them.
Quite a soldering job, I was shocked when it actually worked. I thought for
sure I would goof something or other up, with all that micro soldering.
I'm not sure if that particular mod was in the books, Bill used to have a
monthly subscription based mod letter also, which I subscribed to.
I think it was in that.
There was some good info in those mod letters, Bill would have likely
turned the content into SMH #4 eventually.

Other than clipping a diode, I don't think I did any speed ups, as I was
content with the stock speed.

Seems to me these old scanners still have a place, especially for VHF
aviation buffs.