Old August 1st 10, 01:00 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default re-viving Regency HX 1500 scanner

I have an old handheld scanner, Regency HX 1500, never used it much but it's
been stored for many years. I'd like to power it up to see how it's
working...but the battery compartment has the blue crud on most of the
terminals. In the past I've tried to clean this off with rubbing alcohol
but it always returns. Is there a better way to do this?

I could also try to run the scanner with an adjustable power supply, but the
metal tag on the bag lists two power sources: AA Ni-cad batteries 9.6vdc
and/or AA battery 12vdc. If I plug in the power supply through the "charge
receptacle", which voltage should I set it for? And should I use the
negative or positive pin configuration on the power supply.

John

Old August 1st 10, 12:31 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Kev Kev is offline

jbclem wrote:
I have an old handheld scanner, Regency HX 1500, never used it much but it's
been stored for many years. I'd like to power it up to see how it's
working...but the battery compartment has the blue crud on most of the
terminals. In the past I've tried to clean this off with rubbing alcohol
but it always returns. Is there a better way to do this?

baking soda to clean, then some grease

I could also try to run the scanner with an adjustable power supply, but the
metal tag on the bag lists two power sources: AA Ni-cad batteries 9.6vdc
and/or AA battery 12vdc. If I plug in the power supply through the "charge
receptacle", which voltage should I set it for? And should I use the
negative or positive pin configuration on the power supply.

John

On the radio where you plug the DC power connector in should have the
voltage and the polarity for the power

Use that as a reference and then use a power source to match the radio
not the other way round

Kev

Old August 2nd 10, 11:29 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm glad to have an alternative to the alcohol.

This scanner must be set up for recharging, it has two charging terminals
about an inch apart, and in between these is a hole with a pin inside. The
letters "CHG" are below this hole. The tag on the back of the unit says
this:
Power
AA Ni-Cd battery 9.6V dc
AA Battery 12V dc
Caution: Install proper batteries before using charger.

I was presuming I could plug a power supply into the hole with the pin, but
I'm really not sure about that.

John

"Kev" wrote in message
. ..
jbclem wrote:
[...]

...old Regency ACT-T16K scanner [email protected] Scanner 6 October 27th 04 02:48 AM
FS:Regency Scanner N2BR Swap 0 August 14th 04 10:37 PM
FS:Regency Touch 100 Scanner N2BR Swap 0 August 14th 04 10:28 PM
FS: REGENCY R1040 SCANNER Galaxyelc Swap 0 March 22nd 04 05:07 PM
FS Regency AM scanner SummitRT Swap 0 November 10th 03 11:17 PM