Old July 11th 03, 04:51 AM
Anthony B.

Default external speakers

I really do not want to wait for speakers to be shipped, So does Rat Shack
sell anything worth buying? I am headed there Friday and would like to get a
speaker if they have anything worth buying.
thanks
--
Anthony B.

www.mostlyrockets.com

Old July 11th 03, 12:32 PM
Robert

"Anthony B." wrote in message
I really do not want to wait for speakers to be shipped, So does Rat Shack
sell anything worth buying?

Ya know, some people will tell you they don't have _anything_ worth
buying. However...

I am headed there Friday and would like to get a
speaker if they have anything worth buying.
thanks

You've got three choices at RS in "communications" speakers. One is
a powered speaker which I haven't tried. The other two I have sitting right
here - one's about the usual size in these types of speakers, the other is
an itty-bitty cube, 2X2X2 inches. GeorgeF and I part ways here - I like the
little one and, unless I run across something substantially better at a
price I can swallow, I'm getting a couple more for the shack here. I have
some moderate hearing loss in one ear at the higher end of the freq
spectrum, and this speaker seems to hit that gap quite well.

---

Old July 13th 03, 08:11 PM
Frank

Robert ...

^ ... one's about the usual size in these types of
^ speakers ...

I have one of those -- or perhaps an older model of what you have.

^ ... the other is an itty-bitty cube, 2X2X2 inches.
^ I have some moderate hearing loss in one ear at the
^ higher end of the freq spectrum, and this speaker
^ seems to hit that gap quite well.

I've been looking at that speaker and wondering what it sounds like. It looks
like it would sound somewhat tinny -- because of it's size. Are you
suggesting that the high frequency sound is louder, or that it is reproduced
at a lower frequency?

Frank

Old July 14th 03, 12:31 AM
Anthony B.

I found a speaker on the GALL'S website. it is 18 bucks and is very small, I
will order it. Anyway here is the link if you interested in looking at it, I
will report back about it when I get it.
http://www.galls.com/shop/viewProduc...19&catcode=114
Anthony

Old July 14th 03, 02:14 AM
Robert

"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c34972$9ad8ba60$0125250a@xnmewlxivcjofdzs.. .
Robert ...

^ ... one's about the usual size in these types of
^ speakers ...

I have one of those -- or perhaps an older model of what you have.

^ ... the other is an itty-bitty cube, 2X2X2 inches.
^ I have some moderate hearing loss in one ear at the
^ higher end of the freq spectrum, and this speaker
^ seems to hit that gap quite well.

I've been looking at that speaker and wondering what it sounds like. It

looks
like it would sound somewhat tinny -- because of it's size. Are you
suggesting that the high frequency sound is louder, or that it is

reproduced
at a lower frequency?

I'm just suggesting it works better for me.... It's really
tweeter-sized, so it's going to reproduce higher-frequency sounds better. I
don't find it tinny, but I might be partially deaf in about that spot, too.
Me, I can hear the bass-end of the spectrum just fine - on equipment
I have that's adjustable, I'll have the bass adjusted to minimum and treble
to maximum.
Of course, for intelligible speech, you only need a tiny slice of
what you're capable of hearing overall, and this one works well for me.

---

Old July 14th 03, 02:37 AM
Frank

Anthony B. ...

^ I found a speaker .... it is 18 bucks and is very small...

The Radio Shack speaker I was asking about is also very small and it is only
14 bucks.

Frank

Old July 20th 03, 03:24 PM
Arthritic old man