Old July 21st 03, 01:02 PM
Toscano

Default "Scanocular" questions

I have seen discussions of this strange item on this group before, so I know
someone out there has one. I was considering one because I found them for
$25 each and it seems like a good deal. But I have some questions:
1) What's the frequency range?
2) Display backlight?
3) Limit search?
4) Removable antenna? If so, what style? BNC?
5) Does it have any sort of speaker built in or would one need an external?

Thanks in advance!

Old July 21st 03, 06:51 PM
Beloved Leader

"Toscano" wrote in message ...

... this strange item

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/cgi-b...c;f=1;t=000079

Take a look at the Monitoring Times BBS for a post by a lister who saw
them at Heartland America for $19.99. Though this is a guess, I'm
positive that you're getting a refurbished Scanocular for that price.
As I buy lots of secondhand stuff at yard sales and thrift stores, I
have absolutely no problem with that notion. Note that at HA, you pay
$30 upfront and wait for a $10 rebate.

In the lister's words: "A Scanner featuring 800 MHz, triple conversion
reception, 100-channel memory, alphanumeric display, fast action scan
and search, weather channel scan and mini-jack headphone. Manufactured
by Uniden. You can't beat that price ! Under 20 bucks."

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/Item...asp?SKU=59882#

The antenna looks removable to me. If I didn't already have so many
scanners that I can barely cross the room, I'd probably buy one
myself. Maybe I will anyway. For that price, it's hard to go wrong,
isn't it?

Best wishes.
Old July 21st 03, 09:32 PM
Jeff Seale

(Beloved Leader) wrote in
om:

[...]

I'm surprised no one thought of doing this to an air-band receiver. That
would be just the thing for air shows. Now if we can do this kinda'
thing to a scanner, maybe we can make one that's about the size of your
average walkman and has a tape recorder or mini-disc recorder in it for
recording stuff off the scanner. That'd really be cool. I have a Sony
MZ-R37 mini-disc recorder connected to my Uniden 780 for recording. It
does a pretty nice job.
Old July 22nd 03, 03:23 AM
Beloved Leader

Jeff Seale wrote in message .199.17...
I'm surprised no one thought of doing this to an air-band receiver.

But the Scannocular (apparently, the correct spelling has two "n's",
so Google for both spellings) is an air-band receiver.

http://strongsignals.net/access/boar...ges/14252.html

Posted by Rich Wells, N2MCA on June 07, 2000 at 05:53:04:
at 19:32:08:

Is this unit wide band, for example, does it have the air band
and millitary air band?

No mil aero band...not for $200!

Here's the info I have on it:
88-108
108-137
137-174
406-470
475.75-511.75
806-823.9375
851-868.9375
896.1125-956

Yes, you can listen to FM on it as well. Darn, this just gets to be a
better bargain every minute. Maybe Big Lots will sell them.
Old July 22nd 03, 12:47 PM
Jeff Seale

(Beloved Leader) wrote in
om:

Jeff Seale wrote in message
.199.17...
[...]

Heck, if you're REALLY looking for this at a price lower than $200,
check out eBay once in a while.

AR88 Restoration project: Some Questions. joe landy Boatanchors 6 November 26th 04 03:10 PM
Extra Class License Study Material Drink Antenna 13 February 19th 04 08:29 PM
Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
BEWARE SPENDING TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS HERE (WAS Electronic Questions) CW Antenna 1 September 5th 03 06:20 PM