Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 28th 03, 01:56 AM
Frank

Default GMRS Again

Unauthorized GMRS use has suddenly become popular among public service
employees in my area. A few days ago I was listening to two deputy sheriffs
keeping track of each other and two forest lookouts (husband/wife team)
helping a hiker with heat exhaustion. Today I'm listening to what seems like
two entire firefighter strike teams cleaning up after a major wildland fire.

Strike teams may travel great distances to help fight a fire so these teams
might be from another area where they frequently use GMRS. The fire covered
an area from about five to seven miles from my home and some of these guys
(and a gal) are booming in fairly loud. No station identifications, output
greater than 1/2 Watt

The forest lookout tower is about ten miles away.

No station identifications, power exceeds FRS limits, and the type of usage
is unauthorized for both GMRS and FRS.

I actually think it's great; the radios are filling a valid need. I suspect
that this is the sort of usage that the FCC expected (how could they not?).
It's unfortunate for the old-time GMRS users though. The FCC should have
permitted one or two watts on FRS (instead of 0.5W) and not shared
frequencies with GMRS. As the facts are, I suspect that the FCC intends to
eventually eliminate the license requirement for GMRS and combine GMRS and
FRS into a single service. A replacement for CB. I wouldn't go out and buy
any expensive GMRS equipment unless you want to become a part of this.

Frank

FS: GMRS and FRS radios Mike CB 2 November 29th 04 02:38 AM
GMRS Webring John L. Wilkerson Jr. General 0 October 10th 04 11:30 PM
GMRS or CB Mike Equipment 6 June 6th 04 11:02 PM
GMRS or CB Mike Equipment 0 June 6th 04 07:45 AM
Have I got this right? GMRS... M. G. Devour CB 8 August 30th 03 07:09 PM