Old August 23rd 03, 01:32 AM
Burr

Default Mobile Base

My new mobile platform for listening,
I just got a beautiful old 1968 Ford/Thomasville School Bus. It has
been parked in the inter-city and has been well marked with the latest
graffiti and gang markings over just about ever inch of the 35 feet. All
the windows are broken and even the tires are tagged with gang stuff. It
has a big gas engine that runs very well with a two speed rear end and
air brakes.
I sure hope I don't drive through the wrong gangs areas when I bring it
home to the desert next week. Just think how envious all my neighbors
are going to be when I have this beautiful green, tagged school bus
parked next to my house while I am rebuilding it.
I am going to build a bedroom with hanging lockers and a small dresser
in the rear, Next will be the bathroom with a tub and shower, a toilet
from a 707 with built in holding tank and a ac/dc/engine-water water
heater. The walkway will be on the side so I can have a nice size room
with out people walking through while you are taking care of business!
The next area will be the kitchen with an old fashion dining area like
an old drugstore both. The next area will be the living room area with a
wood burning stove with a glass door. The drivers seat will turn around
to face the living area as will the passenger seat. A small coffee table
with two end tables built with Redwood. I am not going to cover any of
the windows so I can enjoy the wonderful view from anyplace in the
"bus". I'll have a head with a view!!!. I will build screens for all the
windows.
The corner just in front of the kitchen area will be the radio area. I
will build slots with locking rails to keep the radios in while I am
moving. I'll also have 12v deep cell batteries locked down under the
radio center to run the radios
This thing has a platform on top for luggage with rails that will make
a nice antenna farm/platform. Just ahead of the platform I'll install
three solar cells that will put out about 15 to 20 amps or maybe even
more in the bight desert sun. The top will also have two 12v swamp coolers.
Under the bus will be mounted four 35 gal. drums for water, a 35 gal.
drum holding tank from the bath and kitchen and two extra 35 gal. fuel
tanks. I'll also carry two spare tires, a full toolbox and two bottle jacks.
The outside paint will be in "desert" earth tones with bushes and
desert flowers painted right on. The idea is to have the "Land Yacht"
fit right in with the back ground.

OK, this will take the next six months, I have my old Cortez to use for
short weekend trips and long road trips. The "Land Yacht" will be used
just for trips out into the desert for a week or more and as a guess
room here at the house.

Burr
Grundig's Sat800&650,YB400&FR200
Drake SW8 Scanners BC 895&245XLT
Sangean DT110(for Ball Games)
Also Have a Clock Radio!!!
N35.3582
W117.4157
South Left Coast, U.S.A.

Old August 23rd 03, 08:55 PM
Scorpion

Yup, You're definitley a redneck.

Getting it ready for an upcoming NASCAR race are ya?

*L*

You're awesome.

Old August 24th 03, 07:48 AM
Burr

Scorpion wrote:

Yup, You're definitley a redneck.

Getting it ready for an upcoming NASCAR race are ya?

Ya, going to put a little rack on the back for the beer cooler!!

*L*

You're awesome.

Old August 26th 03, 01:08 AM
noobie

Burr...

Any chance you'll put pics of this project online? That way we can all watch the transformation from school bus to command post.

-noob

Old September 16th 03, 02:48 PM
Zombie Wolf

I got a full-size one that is a combination auto workshop and woodworking
shop. It's amazing what you can do in limited space if you hang everything
up and build good workbenches...
I even got Acetylene torches and Welders in it.
Next year, we put in the big air compressor in the back.

"Scorpion" SnakesLoveToCrawlUnderWeeziesSkin@TrollsCantBehav e.Com wrote in
message .. .