Old October 7th 03, 02:38 AM
Gray Shockley

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 13:42:01 -0500, Spurious Noise wrote:

But you made a very good point and to add to it -- a regular change of
passwords is a good idea also - which I now do.

Even safer is to just use one password once (keep a text file on your desktop
or hot-keyed).

My e-mail address is an alias from my provider and I change the alias every
2 months or so depending on spamming. I get very little spam these days. My
friends and relatives are very tolerant of frequent address changes.

One of my current web site providers allows two hundred e-mail addresses so
I'm thinking about setting up so I know which passwords (if not all sigh)
have been compromised. (however, that's really just curiosity).

I'm pretty crippled up most of the time so I can sit here a lot and it's
sorta fun to watch my spam program do its thing ("Spamfire" for the Macintosh
is a *great* program).

Also I ask friends never to send me an e-mail with several others in it --
(i.e., mass sending of jokes as everyone seems to like to do), rather I tell
them to send by using blind copy ONLY --- Bcc. This hides the recipient
list.

Sad commentary on today's society -- BUT one must take steps to prevent
spam, etc.

Oh, I hack some pretty weird people off (like "nazi's - not under Godwin) but
wacko's quoting their mental dwarf him/itself).

And then they help beta test my despammer grin.

Also if you put your e-mail address on a web page -- DO NOT PUT IT IN TEXT
FORM -- use a jpeg or gif.
Apparently the spiders can not read the @ sign when it is in picture form.

The spiders can't "read" an image - not any of it.

Think of an optical character reader (ocr) and you'll get the "image" dux.
It can read the pages but a "straight" ocr can't do a thing with graphics.

Anyway, I have been on line since 1985 and have always used my name and
city/state.

--
73 From the Spurious Noise ';';;';x":.,";"'

Gray Shockley
--------------------------
Entropy Maintenance Technician
Tao Chemical Company
--------------------------

http://www.cybercoffee.org/
Vicksburg, Mississippi US

Old October 7th 03, 09:18 AM
N8KDV

Never anonymous Bud wrote:

Having skipped an E.L.F. meeting to be here, N8KDV
scribbled:

Hey Butthead, I guess I'm that 'stupid', cause it is MY callsign.

I HOPE you have better manners when you're using your radios.

But I'll bet you don't.

You've never made much money betting have you?

To reply by email, remove the XYZ.

It's your SIG, say what you want to say....

Old October 7th 03, 01:51 PM

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 16:08:17 GMT, Jeff Renkin in rec.radio.scanner - :

Gee, how did I know not to use my real name because some wacko like you would be
looking me up on QRZ to get my address and whatnot. Why were you trying to look me
up? So you could put me on all sorts of mailing lists or come visit my house and
throw eggs at it? Grow up!

We may be forced to give out our callsigns on the ham frequencies but anyone that does
it here is just asking for trouble. Might just as well post your real email
addresses here too while you are at it so you can get lots of spam.

Now instead of trying to find my address so you can pull your pranks, why not read the
rest and learn....

LOL, Edna Rimby can copy code at 20 WPM, but I have kept my
identity anon fro the same reason.
Old October 7th 03, 09:37 PM
Jeff Renkin

Hey Butthead, I guess I'm that 'stupid', cause it is MY callsign.

I HOPE you have better manners when you're using your radios.

Now keep in mind, this is one of those guys that complains we need morse code to
keep the "CB people" off the ham bands.

Yet listen to the ham bands on HF and you hear people like this with phrases
like this all the time.

On CB, you hear nothing but Spanish now.

Old October 7th 03, 09:55 PM
Jeff Renkin

Since Morse code is used in the HF bands and you need to pass the code test
to get the license to work the HF bands, it seems to make sense to me.

It makes sense to require someone to learn morse code,
when they only want to use the portions of the bands set aside for voice??

Sure! That's why before you can get a license to drive an automobile, you have
to pass a test to show that you can ride a horse first. Or why you can't get
a license to practice law before you can pass a test to show you can bake an
apple pie.

Want to talk into a microphone on HF? Learn morse code first.

Want to use morse code? Learn and pass a test on how to speak and understand
Russian first.

Don't be lazy! All you whiners who want to get on the ham bands and use morse
code without having to learn Russian first stop your complaining and get
studying!

Doesn't matter if you never intend to USE Russian, the purpose of the
requirement is to make it harder for people to get a license. I don't ever
use morse code, but had to learn it before being allowed to talk into a
microphone on HF, so get busy and start learning Russian!

Before you know it, these lazy morse code lovers are going to want to be able to
go to the store and just BUY a gallon of milk without having to take any written
exams first, or be able to walk on the sidewalk for free without having to learn
and pass a test on egyptian hieroglyphics first.

How lazy can you get?

Old October 7th 03, 10:11 PM
N8KDV

Jeff Renkin wrote:

[...]

As lazy as you I guess. You don't want to learn code, so be it. Just stop whining
about it, OK?

Old October 7th 03, 11:41 PM
smithxpj

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 16:08:17 GMT, Jeff Renkin
wrote:

Are you a General or Extra? I don't see a Jeff Renkin or a Jeffrey Renkin listed at
QRZ. What is your call OM?

Gee, how did I know not to use my real name because some wacko like you would be
looking me up on QRZ to get my address and whatnot. Why were you trying to look me
up? So you could put me on all sorts of mailing lists or come visit my house and
throw eggs at it? Grow up!

We may be forced to give out our callsigns on the ham frequencies but anyone that does
it here is just asking for trouble. Might just as well post your real email
addresses here too while you are at it so you can get lots of spam.

Now instead of trying to find my address so you can pull your pranks, why not read the
rest and learn....

Gee...a straight shootin' lateral thinker (like me) for a change!

Yair... we have the same problem in Oz where some idiots think that
putting a ham callsign at the end of a usenet post is going to provide
some golden aura of revelation about the individual placing the post
and that anyone who doesn't put their ham callsign (if they have one)
on usenet is anonomously 'hiding'.

I mean...you're dead right (and my line of thinking is) that *all*
anyone is going to be able to do with a ham callsign is to run off
like a snivvelling little sneak to a database and (possibly) get a
name and an address. Then what? Are they going to send a posse around
and blow up your household mailbox? Or sit scouring the airwaves
hoping to come across you on-air so that they can give you an earful?

And the argument that putting a ham callsign into a post provides
'credibility' is a load of hooey. Let's face it, if anyone can pirate
a ham callsign on-air...they can sure as hell do it on usenet as well.
And the average newsgroup player would be absolutely *none* the wiser
about the person or the personality on the other end of the post.

Is a mere ham callsign going to tell them anything more about an
already anonomous situation? It is going to tell them whether you're a
beer-swilling yobbo or a connoisseur of fine red wines, or whether you
drive a beat up jalopy or drive a Rolls-Royce.

As I profess, a ham callsign is nothing more than a mere *radio*
transmission identifier and usenet is all about computers, landlines
and stuff. But, no doubt, you have your fair share of poor misguided
souls who seem to think that a ham callsign is some sort of extension
of their personality.
Old October 7th 03, 11:50 PM
N8KDV

wrote:

[...]

What he's really saying is that if he did have a callsign, (he doesn't), then he wouldn't
even give it out on the air for fear that someone actually might look it up in a database.
LMAO

The key thing here though is that poor Jeff doesn't have a call, and won't have one till
the Morse requirement is dropped.

Old October 8th 03, 11:28 AM
N8KDV

Never anonymous Bud wrote:

Having skipped an E.L.F. meeting to be here, N8KDV
scribbled:

The key thing here though is that poor Jeff doesn't have a call, and won't have one till
the Morse requirement is dropped.

You have NO proof of that, and you're still a jackass.

Ha! You can't disprove that, and you're a jackass too!

Old October 8th 03, 07:15 PM
Jeff Renkin

[...]

And keep in mind that many just look up and steal a callsign and identity like this other
guy did. How many 50 year old men do you know going around on newsgroups calling people
"Butthead"?

He made the mistake of not picking a callsign that belonged to someone closer to his real
age.

I mean...you're dead right (and my line of thinking is) that *all*
anyone is going to be able to do with a ham callsign is to run off
like a snivvelling little sneak to a database and (possibly) get a
name and an address. Then what? Are they going to send a posse around
and blow up your household mailbox?

The type of person that goes around calling people names like "Butthead" when there are
statements in a discussion he does not like MIGHT do something like that, yes.

Thus the reason you never post your callsign or personal info. Keep in mind if the
callsign this guy was posting was really his, he would not be calling names and starting
fights for the same reason that everyone can find his name and address too! But since it
is not his callsign, he doesn't care if you would do anything to the house of the poor
person who the callsign really belongs to.

Anyone who would be posting with their REAL callsign would not be stirring up fights with
anyone on a newsgroup, would they? Or course not. His actions and age have shown us
what is going on here.

Or sit scouring the airwaves
hoping to come across you on-air so that they can give you an earful?

He doesn't have a license, or he would not have made the statements he did, like that you
need to learn morse code to get a ham call sign. Any REAL ham knows you don't have to
pass a code test for well over a decade now and can still get a ham license and call
sign. The fact he didn't know this shows he is not a ham.

And the argument that putting a ham callsign into a post provides
'credibility' is a load of hooey.

What it provides, is proof that the person is either an idiot, or that he stole someone
else's callsign.

Let's face it, if anyone can pirate
a ham callsign on-air...they can sure as hell do it on usenet as well.
And the average newsgroup player would be absolutely *none* the wiser
about the person or the personality on the other end of the post.

Except when, as in this case, he steals the callsign of someone who is much older than he
is not knowing the age of the real callsign holder, and makes statements about ham radio
that are not only wrong, but would be something all real hams would know and not make a
mistake about.

Is a mere ham callsign going to tell them anything more about an
already anonomous situation? It is going to tell them whether you're a
beer-swilling yobbo or a connoisseur of fine red wines, or whether you
drive a beat up jalopy or drive a Rolls-Royce.

No, it just provides the guarantee that your house will be egged or rocks will fly through
your windows by some angry teenager that can't stand to lose debates on newsgroups.

As I profess, a ham callsign is nothing more than a mere *radio*
transmission identifier and usenet is all about computers, landlines
and stuff. But, no doubt, you have your fair share of poor misguided
souls who seem to think that a ham callsign is some sort of extension
of their personality.

Or in some cases, belongs to the personality it was stolen from.

TRADE SX73!!! Mark Oppat Boatanchors 0 November 17th 04 01:54 AM
TRADE SX73!!! Mark Oppat Boatanchors 0 November 17th 04 01:54 AM
WWII radios for trade Ian Riden Boatanchors 0 June 7th 04 08:48 PM
Sell Or Trade BC3000XLT DeWayne Scanner 1 September 18th 03 11:05 PM
4-1000A amps for TRADE, pickup near Denver, CO M Dittmar Boatanchors 0 July 12th 03 11:42 PM