RadioBanter

-   -   Trade Modded DX-398 For Scanner (https://www.radiobanter.com/scanner/34433-trade-modded-dx-398-scanner.html)

DeWayne September 27th 03 04:57 PM

Trade Modded DX-398 For Scanner

Here is a RS DX-398 in great condition. This radio has several improvements
that have been implimented over a "stock radio". These are as follows: 1-an
additional broadband rf amplifier has been added internally to boost
reception with the telescopic antenna. This really helps boost weak signals.
2-Tuning mute and smooth knob tuning to eliminate the stepped tuning knob
action and chugging when bandscanning with tuning knob. This makes for much
better feel when tuning than on a stock radio. 3-The audio has been improved
to get rid of the tinny sound normally found in a stock radio. It has good
volume and punch. This one is easy to listen to for extended time. 4-The
stock radio has a very weak green led backlight system for the LCD display.
It makes it hard to read in dim light. The dim green leds have been change
to brighter blue leds. This makes it much easier to see in dim light. Also
note that when using an AC adaptor the light can be selected to stay on all
the time. 5-The stock radio has a very slow AGC, this has been corrected to
a fast AGC time which makes station reception on worldband much better.
These modifications make an already good radio much better. This is the best
portable I have owned. The audio is much better than stock. Sensitivity is
excellent! I can listen to 80 meter hams easily with the whip antenna! I
just don't use it much. I need a scanner. Thanks for reading!

I'm looking to trade for a mint RS Pro-95 or ?

DeWayne K9KZ

Frank September 30th 03 12:22 AM

DeWayne ...

^ ... Morse Code (obsolete) ...

Morse code isn't obsolete -- it can still extend to greater distances than
voice.

Another advantage of Morse code is that several conversations can
simultaneously exist on a single frequency. Each station uses a tone
different enough to be distinguished by ear and an experienced operator can
mentally filter out all but the tone he's copying.

Frank

Budgie September 30th 03 01:11 AM

"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c386e0$9a92e3e0$0125250a@yludnifduhzssbbv.. .
... [SNIP]
Another advantage of Morse code is that several conversations can
simultaneously exist on a single frequency. Each station uses a tone
different enough to be distinguished by ear and an experienced operator

can
mentally filter out all but the tone he's copying.

This is not true.

If the "tone" is different at all, then the carrier is on a different
frequency.

Two (or more) CW transmissions on the same frequency will have the identical
"tone".

You can fit CW transmissions very close together, but not on the same
"single frequency".

Ron Hardin September 30th 03 01:44 AM

Budgie wrote:
This is not true.

If the "tone" is different at all, then the carrier is on a different
frequency.

Two (or more) CW transmissions on the same frequency will have the identical
"tone".

You can fit CW transmissions very close together, but not on the same
"single frequency".

If it's code, it's not on a single frequency in the first place. Not only
theorically! Listen to code through a 10Hz filter and it's nearly uncopyiable.

The audio effect is that the filter rings as loudly as the signal. But it's
actually a mathematical effect. You're cutting out too much of the bandwidth
that the code actually occupies.
--
Ron Hardin

Frank September 30th 03 03:01 AM

^ Budgie wrote:
^ If the "tone" is different at all, then the carrier is on
^ a different frequency.

OK, I was under the impression that a tone was transmitter on the carrier and
that the tone could be adjusted. But that would be modulation.

Ron Hardin ...
^ If it's code, it's not on a single frequency in the first place.

A single freq is not possible. You're only picking on words. "A single
frequency" always implies the frequency that the signal is centered on.

Another advantage is that CW has a narrower bandwidth than any voice
modulated signal.

Frank

Frank September 30th 03 11:21 AM

Spurious Noise yI5eb.34774$Ms2.224@fed1read03...

^ Just FYI:
^ CW Bandwidth = wpm X 4 (e.g., 40 WPM = 160 Hz)
^ From the ARRL License Manual 1976:
^ "With proper shaping, the necessary keying bandwidth is equal to 4
^ times the speed in words per minute for International Morse Code;
^ e.g. at 25 words per minute, the bandwidth is approximately 100
^ cycles."

Thank you. SSB is about twice that right? And isn't SSB the narrowest voice
emission?

Frank

Frank September 30th 03 11:31 AM

Jack ...

^ CW is an unmodulated transmission ...

^ Radioteletype (RTTY and AFSK) also use unmodulated carriers. On HF
^ bands, most use unmodulated Lower Sideband. As with CW, the receiver
^ reinserts the carrier, causing the AF-shifted beat note.

And CW requires only the transceiver and key while the other data types
require another, often more expensive, piece of hardware.

So am I still correct that the advantages of CW a

- Narrower bandwidth. The bandwidth is effectively even narrower because
overlapping adjacent signals can still be distinguished by the human ear.

- Greater effective range.

- Less equipment than other data types, which also have greater bandwidth.

- Can be used without a microphone and without a key. Just open the box and
short a couple of contacts.

Frank

MRe September 30th 03 12:32 PM

"Frank" schreef in bericht
news:01c3873c$96939df0$0125250a@preimuffyaouanyy.. .
Spurious Noise yI5eb.34774$Ms2.224@fed1read03...

^ Just FYI:
^ CW Bandwidth = wpm X 4 (e.g., 40 WPM = 160 Hz)
^ From the ARRL License Manual 1976:
^ "With proper shaping, the necessary keying bandwidth is equal to 4
^ times the speed in words per minute for International Morse Code;
^ e.g. at 25 words per minute, the bandwidth is approximately 100
^ cycles."

Thank you. SSB is about twice that right? And isn't SSB the narrowest

voice
emission?

No, SSB is about 20 times the bandwith of CW

MRe PE1NQR

GeorgeF September 30th 03 12:33 PM

Frank wrote:
DeWayne ...

^ ... Morse Code (obsolete) ...

Morse code isn't obsolete -- it can still extend to greater distances than
voice.

Another advantage of Morse code is that several conversations can
simultaneously exist on a single frequency. Each station uses a tone
different enough to be distinguished by ear and an experienced operator can
mentally filter out all but the tone he's copying.

Frank

With BPL coming Morse Code might be the only way left to communicate on HF.

Sorry I'm not a ham and I don't want to see CW go. It call BASICS!
Once you start forgetting about the basics then you start developing a
backwards nation.

Just look at school, they don't teach the basics any more they just
throw the kids on computers. Do you know a single McDonalds employee
who can make change in their head???

CW isn't hard to learn, not even a ham and I can receive 15 WPM and
actually enjoy it....

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

w4jle September 30th 03 06:43 PM

Normally the bandwidth of an SSB transmission is about 3.5 kHz. It of course
can be much wider if the transmitter passes frequencies above that. Listen
around 3.945 MHz and you will hear a group that has enhanced audio and they
get broadcast quality SSB along with the expected increase in bandwidth
..

Frank October 1st 03 12:21 AM

GeorgeF om...

^ With BPL coming Morse Code might be the only way left to
^ communicate on HF.

So you think CW will come through the interference fairly well? I guess
everything will if the range is close enough, like within a few blocks
perhaps. You're probably already aware of it but ARRL conducted some field
experiments in areas where the power companies are testing BPL. I didn't read
the report but I recall hearing that the interference was about S9 in those
areas.

Frank

CW October 1st 03 02:17 AM

"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c3873d$fff5f5d0$0125250a@preimuffyaouanyy.. .
Jack ...

the other data types
require another, often more expensive, piece of hardware.

Yes, but I can afford it.

So am I still correct that the advantages of CW a

- Narrower bandwidth. The bandwidth is effectively even narrower because
overlapping adjacent signals can still be distinguished by the human ear.

- Greater effective range.

- Less equipment than other data types, which also have greater

bandwidth.

- Can be used without a microphone and without a key. Just open the box

and
short a couple of contacts.

You forgot one:
Imminent extinction.

CW October 1st 03 02:19 AM

Now that was about a lame argument.

news:3F796A01.8010004@licensed4funREMOVEBEFOREFLIG HT.com...

Frank October 1st 03 10:36 AM

CW IWpeb.647553$uu5.104967@sccrnsc04...

^ You forgot one:
^ Imminent extinction.

Not true. You're being childish.

Frank

Jibbs October 1st 03 07:17 PM

What is the USA waiting for?? Will we be the only country in the world
with a morse code requirement??

Ireland and Singapore have become the latest countries to
remove the requirement for Amateur Radio applicants to pass a Morse code
examination for HF access.

In addition, Switzerland, Belgium, the UK, Germany, Norway, the
Netherlands, Austria, New Zealand and Australia have moved to drop their
Morse requirements.

Yet the USA will surely be the last to join the rest of the world in doing what
is obvious to everyone else.

GeorgeF October 1st 03 08:20 PM

Jibbs wrote:

In addition, Switzerland, Belgium, the UK, Germany, Norway, the
Netherlands, Austria, New Zealand and Australia have moved to drop their
Morse requirements.

So what? If all these countires jumped off bridges would that mean we
would be nuts for not jump too? What these counties do are their own
business and who wants to be put in the same class as Germany anyway!

Yet the USA will surely be the last to join the rest of the world in doing what
is obvious to everyone else.

Oh I hope not, I hope the USA never joins the rest of the world. We
don't need a 80, 40, 20, and 15 meter CB bands. God forbid that we have
something happen here far worse than 9/11 which renders Voice
communications useless and we need to go back to basices. After all its
a lot easier to build a CW rig than a voice rig in the event of a
national emergency. Once you stop teaching/learning the basics then
you'll gradully become a less educated national. Just look at workers
in McDonalds, when the computer quits working they can't make sales.....

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

[email protected] October 1st 03 09:56 PM

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 15:20:10 -0400, GeorgeF in rec.radio.scanner -
om :

Yet the USA will surely be the last to join the rest of the world in doing what
is obvious to everyone else.

Oh I hope not, I hope the USA never joins the rest of the world. We
don't need a 80, 40, 20, and 15 meter CB bands. God forbid that we have
something happen here far worse than 9/11 which renders Voice
communications useless and we need to go back to basices.

Like terrorists stab everyone who has a radio transmitter in the throat with a pen,
or even worse? Perhaps a laryngitis epidemic?

After all its a lot easier to build a CW rig than a voice rig in the event of a
national emergency.

That is why I have a 50,000 volt spark gap rig in storage. LOL

Once you stop teaching/learning the basics then
you'll gradully become a less educated national. Just look at workers
in McDonalds, when the computer quits working they can't make sales.....

Well, considering McDonalds isn't set up for paper & pen transactions I would
say that is understandable. How does your ebay business do when your computer
takes a ****?

GeorgeF October 1st 03 10:05 PM

wrote:

Well, considering McDonalds isn't set up for paper & pen transactions I would
say that is understandable. How does your ebay business do when your computer
takes a ****?

I do very well because I still (and always will) do a consider amount of
business and sales via more traditional marketing means such as mail and
newspaper/magzine advertising.

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com
http://www.AuctionWholesaler.com (since edna so badly wants to bring it up)

Dee D. Flint October 2nd 03 12:21 AM

"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c3873c$96939df0$0125250a@preimuffyaouanyy.. .
Spurious Noise yI5eb.34774$Ms2.224@fed1read03...

^ Just FYI:
^ CW Bandwidth = wpm X 4 (e.g., 40 WPM = 160 Hz)
^ From the ARRL License Manual 1976:
^ "With proper shaping, the necessary keying bandwidth is equal to 4
^ times the speed in words per minute for International Morse Code;
^ e.g. at 25 words per minute, the bandwidth is approximately 100
^ cycles."

Thank you. SSB is about twice that right? And isn't SSB the narrowest

voice
emission?

Frank

An SSB signal is about 3000 cycles/sec (i.e. Hertz) or 30 times as wide. AM
and FM are even wider.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee D. Flint October 2nd 03 12:23 AM

"Frank" wrote in message
[...]

Pretty close. Some of the other digital modes are narrower but as you
state, you need more hardware such as a computer. In addition each of the
other digital modes has its own unique set of advantages and disadvantages
in on air operation.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

[email protected] October 2nd 03 01:37 AM

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 17:05:38 -0400, GeorgeF in rec.radio.scanner -
om :

wrote:

Well, considering McDonalds isn't set up for paper & pen transactions I would
say that is understandable. How does your ebay business do when your computer
takes a ****?

I do very well because I still (and always will) do a consider amount of
business and sales via more traditional marketing means such as mail and
newspaper/magzine advertising.

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com
http://www.AuctionWholesaler.com (since edna so badly wants to bring it up)

Blah blah blah, that is all we ever hear from you.

LMAO@U HAhaHAAHAH

"At Your Request We Can Drop-Ship Your Orders!

Only a Limited Number of Dealerships Available, SignUp Today!
Normally we charge $34.99 however for a short time we're offering our Dealer Startup Package for only $19.99!
You Must Act NOW To Get This Special Price.

Start-Up Fee On Sale for $19.99
ITEM #: DEALERPACK-AW"

Haw haw haw, sell alot of them there grandfather clocks on ebay?
Only $20 to join your program. I'd be surprised if you have even sold
the first 'dealership".
You are a joke little man. Thanks for the laugh!

CW October 2nd 03 01:43 AM

So you're a snail mail spammer. An honorable profession. Right up there with
lawyers.

news:3F7B41A2.3010502@licensed4funREMOVEBEFOREFLIG HT.com...

Frank October 2nd 03 01:56 AM

Dee D. Flint ...

^ "Frank" news:01c3873d$fff5f5d0$0125250a@preimuffyaouanyy.. .
^ So am I still correct that the advantages of CW a
^ - Narrower bandwidth....
^ - Greater effective range.
^ - Less equipment than other data types, which also
^ have greater bandwidth.
^ - Can be used without a microphone and without a key....

^ Some of the other digital modes are narrower but as you
^ state, you need more hardware such as a computer.

That surprises me.

Frank

Clint October 2nd 03 03:27 AM

So what? If all these countires jumped off bridges would that mean we
would be nuts for not jump too?

Spurious analogy.
There is no correlation between the subject of morse code testing
and suicide.

Oh I hope not, I hope the USA never joins the rest of the world. We
don't need a 80, 40, 20, and 15 meter CB bands.

(1) what will you say after 6 months or a year, and the nations you
listed have seen no such degredation in band quality after dropping
the code requirement?

(2) the majority of hams making ham radio code violations on the
HF bands are hams that have had the morse code testing, high
speed testing at that as they are older hams that were tested many
many years ago.

(3) with the rest of the world dropping it, do you really think that
the ham community, with it's growing number of members itching
to ditch the code, WON'T start increasing pressure to the breaking
point to finally ditch the irrelavent and outdated code test
requirement?

The tide's pretty much against you.

God forbid that we have
something happen here far worse than 9/11 which renders Voice
communications useless and we need to go back to basices.

Ah, but the liberals are saying that no such thing will ever happen, that
the REAL threat is the republicans decreasing civil liberty and
crushing freedom here and that terrorism isn't a real threat.

Are you saying they are *wrong*?

Clint

Clint October 2nd 03 03:29 AM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
.com...

Pretty close. Some of the other digital modes are narrower but as you
state, you need more hardware such as a computer. In addition each of the
other digital modes has its own unique set of advantages and disadvantages
in on air operation.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

All good reasons to preform morse code voluntarily.

It's just that it no longer needs to be forced down people's throats
*involuntarily*

Clint
KB5ZHT

Get in touch with your soul: www.glennbeck.com
OR, if you're a liberal, maybe you can FIND one

Frank October 2nd 03 10:56 AM

Clint ...

^ (1) what will you say after 6 months or a year, and the
^ nations you listed have seen no such degredation in band
^ quality after dropping the code requirement?

What is their population compared to the U.S.? Do those other countries have
the trouble on the 11 meter band that the U.S. has?

If the code requirement is unnecessary then what about the electronics
knowledge requirement? Is it necessary to know how a transistor functions in
order to operate a two-meter radio? Should we also drop that from testing?
Should the exam be nothing more than a test of the FCC rules? Can you come up
with reasons to drop that also? Someone will, eventually, if we continue to
drop knowledge and ability requirements.

Clint ...
^ It's just that it no longer needs to be forced down
^ people's throats *involuntarily*

But it isn't forced and it isn't involuntary. An Amateur license is something
that is voluntarily sought.

Frank

Dee D. Flint October 2nd 03 01:26 PM

"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c3887f$f653d860$0125250a@kqncdrpzwptsjceo.. .
Dee D. Flint ...

^ "Frank" news:01c3873d$fff5f5d0$0125250a@preimuffyaouanyy.. .
^ So am I still correct that the advantages of CW a
^ - Narrower bandwidth....
^ - Greater effective range.
^ - Less equipment than other data types, which also
^ have greater bandwidth.
^ - Can be used without a microphone and without a key....

^ Some of the other digital modes are narrower but as you
^ state, you need more hardware such as a computer.

That surprises me.

Frank

Well PSK31 is narrower than morse code but the problem with it (according to
our local PSK31 guru) is that because it is narrower, it is hard to find the
PSK31 signals unless you know exactly where to look. I.e. just dialing
around, you easily zoom right past them without ever knowing they are there.
For that reason, I believe they have established calling frequencies in each
band so they can find each other. Plus they use some type of software to
scan and show peaks. I'm not into myself but we have several in the local
club who are.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

w4jle October 2nd 03 05:38 PM

Edna, you seem to delight in attacking George, a person who has done more
for the scanner hobby than 99% of the folks on here.

What have you done except drop in your vitriolic comments in a "drive by" of
words.

Get a life, and come back when you have contributed something positive to
the hobby!

[email protected] October 3rd 03 01:47 AM

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:38:24 -0400, "w4jle" W4JLE(remove this to in rec.radio.scanner - :

Edna, you seem to delight in attacking George, a person who has done more
for the scanner hobby than 99% of the folks on here.

LOL, I see how he helps here. You a big milair fan are ya?

What have you done except drop in your vitriolic comments in a "drive by" of
words.

Made you mad?

Get a life, and come back when you have contributed something positive to
the hobby!

Will do!

wrote in message
.. .

Blah blah blah, that is all we ever hear from you.

Frank October 3rd 03 02:14 AM

Dee D. Flint ...

^ Well PSK31 is narrower than morse code but the problem with
^ it ... is that because it is narrower, it is hard to find the
^ PSK31 signals unless you know exactly where to look.

I didn't know that the bandwidth was narrower but I have discovered that the
signals are hard to find. So is RTTY for me; but then I'm new at this.

This thread is in too many groups and I only read one of them so I'm backing
out of the discussion.

Thanks to you and the others who have provided informative replies.

Frank

Mark Keith October 3rd 03 08:31 AM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message n
Well PSK31 is narrower than morse code but the problem with it (according to
our local PSK31 guru) is that because it is narrower, it is hard to find the
PSK31 signals unless you know exactly where to look. I.e. just dialing
around, you easily zoom right past them without ever knowing they are there.
For that reason, I believe they have established calling frequencies in each
band so they can find each other. Plus they use some type of software to
scan and show peaks. I'm not into myself but we have several in the local
club who are.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

PSK31 is simple. Almost all the programs have spectrum graphs, or
waterfall displays to show signals within the passband used. Yes, most
PSK is on an established freq, +- . You don't "dial around" for PSK31.
You tune the radio to the set frequency, and the software is used to
"tune". Say 20m, you would tune in 14.070.15 and all the rest is done
in the software. You see a spectrum graph that shows all the signals
in the passband. To receive one, you just click on it. Bingo, it locks
up and starts to receive. The program I use "hamscope" can receive two
at a time in separate windows. Also works rtty, bpsk, etc..Most all
the common PSK freq's are at .070.15 per each ham band. IE:
3.570.15
7.070.15
14.070.15
21.070.15
28.070.15
Maybe be others such as novice PSK, etc .. MK

Jeff Renkin October 6th 03 01:52 AM

Oh I hope not, I hope the USA never joins the rest of the world. We
don't need a 80, 40, 20, and 15 meter CB bands. God forbid that we have
something happen here far worse than 9/11 which renders Voice
communications useless and we need to go back to basices.

Like terrorists stab everyone who has a radio transmitter in the throat with a pen,
or even worse? Perhaps a laryngitis epidemic?

Or don't forget the time you will be stranded at the north pole with nothing in sight for miles but a phone booth
with a telephone where the microphone is missing and you have to use the touch tone pad to send a message in morse
code with! I love that one. Always some sort of ridiculous situation that would never happen to try and come
up with an instance where morse code could somehow be used. But then don't forget when you use that phone, the
operator, police, or whoever you call will not understand morse code, and that is the most important point everyone
on that demented side keeps forgetting.

The Emergency Broadcast System never sent messages or tests in morse code, but English voice. The public would
never understand it otherwise.

Commercials and spam are always in plain English so the message can reach as many people as possible, not be
limited to the two people who know morse code. Note how only idiots post binaries on newsgroups in yenc, but
spammers don't, because they want EVERYONE to be able to decode and view the spam, not just two people.

After all its a lot easier to build a CW rig than a voice rig in the event of a
national emergency.

That is why I have a 50,000 volt spark gap rig in storage. LOL\

In a national emergency, people are not suddenly going to understand morse code, so that would be worthless unless
you want to try and communicate with some 80 year old ham radio operator that is a hundred miles away. I would
rather reach some emergency agency personnel that are not going to know morse code, but spent time learning
important stuff instead that will now be useful in an emergency.

Once you stop teaching/learning the basics then
you'll gradully become a less educated national. Just look at workers
in McDonalds, when the computer quits working they can't make sales.....

Well, considering McDonalds isn't set up for paper & pen transactions I would
say that is understandable. How does your ebay business do when your computer
takes a ****?

In an emergency, McDonalds, Ebay and Morse Code will be the last things anyone is going to worry about.

N8KDV October 6th 03 01:58 AM

Jeff Renkin wrote:

[...]

Mommy, Mommy, make that mean 'ol FCC man give me a license.... Mommy, I cain't learn the code, I have ADD... Mommy,
Mommy please give me more Ritalin....

On and on it goes, there are those who can, and those who can't. Next you'll be bitching about the requirements to get
into medical school... to stringent for ya? Too bad.

Jeff Renkin October 6th 03 02:06 AM

^ (1) what will you say after 6 months or a year, and the
^ nations you listed have seen no such degredation in band
^ quality after dropping the code requirement?

What is their population compared to the U.S.?

What does that have to do with anything? Is this the "big bully approach"
again? The US will eventually drop the requirement like EVERY country on this
planet, the point is why the US always has to be so behind the times and the LAST
one to figure out how to do it. We should have been the great example to the
world and been the FIRST one to drop it, not the last.

Do those other countries have
the trouble on the 11 meter band that the U.S. has?

What trouble? That it is all nothing but Mexicans with illegal amplifiers
anymore? What does morse code or having to get a license or use call signs
have to do with that?

If the code requirement is unnecessary then what about the electronics
knowledge requirement?

If you are going to build and set up high power transmitters, you had better know
the requirements needed to operate the equipment. If you are going to use a
microphone, then you have better know how to speak too. But needing to know
morse code before you are allowed to use a microphone on HF is like adding a
Russian speaking requirement before you are allowed to drive a car on a US road.

You still need to know the rules of the road, but you don't need to take a test
to show morse code before you drive a car either.

Is it necessary to know how a transistor functions in
order to operate a two-meter radio?

No, that is not needed. What is needed is to know about antenna systems,
interference issues, band plans, laws, and anything else needed to know before
setting up and operating a ham radio transmitter setup. No we don't get
tested on how a car engine works before getting a driver's license, so we don't
need to be tested on how a transistor works before being allowed to use a
radio. That is as ridiculous as having to know morse code before being allowed
to use a microphone.

If you want to use morse code on ham radio, then you should be required to learn
how to use morse code first. Those not wishing to ever use morse code do not
need to learn it, just as we don't all learn Chinese before we can post on
newsgroups in English.

Should the exam be nothing more than a test of the FCC rules?

Think WHY one has to be tested on the things we are tested before being allowed
to get behind a car and be on the road with other drivers. Now apply that to
getting a license before being allowed to use a radio that could cause harm to
others if it is not operated properly.

But it isn't forced and it isn't involuntary. An Amateur license is something
that is voluntarily sought.

Same with a driver's license. So let's make a morse code requirement for that
too then?

Jeff Renkin October 6th 03 02:10 AM

Pretty close. Some of the other digital modes are narrower but as you
state, you need more hardware such as a computer. In addition each of the
other digital modes has its own unique set of advantages and disadvantages
in on air operation.

The biggest disadvantage would be narrowing down the percentage of people on
the other end that would be able to decipher your emergency message.

If you are calling for help, you want as many people on the receiving end of
your transmission to be able to UNDERSTAND your message as possible.

The emergency broadcast system (now the EAS) works on English Voice, NOT with
morse code. And it is designed to be used in an emergency. Same with
police, fire and ambulance radios.

Imagine the president addressing the public with a morse code key. Might as
well talk to a wall.

Jeff Renkin October 6th 03 02:26 AM

Mommy, Mommy, make that mean 'ol FCC man give me a license.... Mommy, I cain't learn the code, I have ADD... Mommy,

I would love to see you cry to your mommy when you can't get your driver's license when you turn 16 because they may add a
requirement that you have to learn Russian first as a requirement to drive a car.

On and on it goes, there are those who can, and those who can't. Next you'll be bitching about the requirements to get
into medical school... to stringent for ya? Too bad.

If morse code was a requirement to get into medical school, then yes, so would everyone. (except for insane ham radio
operators without common sense reasoning abilities)

Jeff Renkin October 6th 03 02:29 AM

It's been my experience that those who whine the most about the code requirement are
those who just won't take the time to learn it. Excuses, excuses....

Funny, but most people I hear complaining about the requirement already learned and passed
the morse code test and are General and Extra license holders.

I wish that the next time you wanted to fill your car up with gas, you had to waste time
learning Chinese first or no gas for your car. If you whined about it, we would all laugh
at you, call you lazy for not taking the time to learn Chinese.

Please don't be stupid. Stop, read COMPREHEND what you are reading and THINK about things
before you start making statements that make no sense.

N8KDV October 6th 03 02:31 AM

Jeff Renkin wrote:

Mommy, Mommy, make that mean 'ol FCC man give me a license.... Mommy, I cain't learn the code, I have ADD... Mommy,

I would love to see you cry to your mommy when you can't get your driver's license when you turn 16 because they may add a
requirement that you have to learn Russian first as a requirement to drive a car.

On and on it goes, there are those who can, and those who can't. Next you'll be bitching about the requirements to get
into medical school... to stringent for ya? Too bad.

If morse code was a requirement to get into medical school, then yes, so would everyone. (except for insane ham radio
operators without common sense reasoning abilities)

Yep, that's me, no common sense. However I was bright enough to be able to learn the code. :-)

I turned 16 a long time ago, and already have my drivers license.

N8KDV October 6th 03 02:33 AM

Jeff Renkin wrote:

It's been my experience that those who whine the most about the code requirement are
those who just won't take the time to learn it. Excuses, excuses....

Funny, but most people I hear complaining about the requirement already learned and passed
the morse code test and are General and Extra license holders.

I wish that the next time you wanted to fill your car up with gas, you had to waste time
learning Chinese first or no gas for your car. If you whined about it, we would all laugh
at you, call you lazy for not taking the time to learn Chinese.

Please don't be stupid. Stop, read COMPREHEND what you are reading and THINK about things
before you start making statements that make no sense.

You should certainly follow your own advice! I already did stop, I did read, and I did
comprehend. I passed the 13 word per minute code requirement!

N8KDV October 6th 03 02:36 AM

Jeff Renkin wrote:

It's been my experience that those who whine the most about the code requirement are
those who just won't take the time to learn it. Excuses, excuses....

Funny, but most people I hear complaining about the requirement already learned and passed
the morse code test and are General and Extra license holders.

I wish that the next time you wanted to fill your car up with gas, you had to waste time
learning Chinese first or no gas for your car. If you whined about it, we would all laugh
at you, call you lazy for not taking the time to learn Chinese.

Please don't be stupid.

Why, don't you want company?