Old October 31st 03, 07:19 PM
Dan

Default glass mount antenna question

Im going to be installing a Larson KG450UDPL 450-470mhz glass mount
antenna on my 2004 Dodge Ram pick up and i was wondering if anyone
knew the best spot to place this antenna. I have read about glass with
tint causing problems.The rear window (where i want to put it) has a
light tint,how will know if this will make my antenna performance
suffer? Are some tints worse than others? I hate to stick it there and
have not work then have to scrape it off. The windshield is clear but
who wants an antenna on the windshield?

Thanks alot
Old October 31st 03, 08:58 PM
Alex Devlin

On 31 Oct 2003, Dan wrote:

Im going to be installing a Larson KG450UDPL 450-470mhz glass mount
antenna on my 2004 Dodge Ram pick up and i was wondering if anyone
knew the best spot to place this antenna. I have read about glass with
tint causing problems.The rear window (where i want to put it) has a
light tint,how will know if this will make my antenna performance
suffer? Are some tints worse than others? I hate to stick it there and
have not work then have to scrape it off. The windshield is clear but
who wants an antenna on the windshield?

Thanks alot

Put it in a corner or in the middle behind the rear view so you won't see
it. Although a slight tint shouldn't make much difference.

--
Alex Devlin
The Ham & Scanner Enthusiast Forum -
Old October 31st 03, 09:03 PM
RN

--- My reply to what Alex Devlin wrote 10/31/2003 2:58:46 PM

I found that you can not always tell by the darkness of the tint what the
metal content is. I ran into problems when I installed a GPS in my SUV and was
killing it every time I transmitted on the rig. After a lot of searching I
found out that the metal in the window was causing a problem. Not only that
but also about 3db loss in the system.

You might be able to check the SEA number on the glass and do a search on the
web to find out what the tint is.

I ended up pulling both glass mount antennas off, finding a way to use a
standard mount and would never go back. The improvement was very noticeable and
the GPS reset problem went away.

Im going to be installing a Larson KG450UDPL 450-470mhz glass mount
antenna on my 2004 Dodge Ram pick up and i was wondering if anyone
knew the best spot to place this antenna. I have read about glass with
tint causing problems.The rear window (where i want to put it) has a
light tint,how will know if this will make my antenna performance
suffer? Are some tints worse than others? I hate to stick it there and
have not work then have to scrape it off. The windshield is clear but
who wants an antenna on the windshield?

Thanks alot

Put it in a corner or in the middle behind the rear view so you won't see
it. Although a slight tint shouldn't make much difference.

--
Alex Devlin
The Ham & Scanner Enthusiast Forum -
http://tinyurl.com/qvl7

[Some portions of this message may have been removed]

--------------------- Original Message Ends ------------------------

Old November 1st 03, 04:40 PM
DSL

I have used the Larsen dual band glass mount on several vehicles I have
owned over the years. The latest is my Toyota Tacoma king cab, I mounted it
on the rear driver side window which has tint. The SWR on both bands is flat
and the thing performs fantastic. Check to see if you may have problems with
whatever the tint is made from or contains before you slap the thing on. As
far as placement goes that is really a preference thing, I mounted it on the
small side window because if I mounted it on the back window I would not be
able to open the sliding window all the way on one side. I have had this
antenna on this vehicle for at least 5 years and it still is a great
performer.

Good luck

"Dan" wrote in message
om...
Im going to be installing a Larson KG450UDPL 450-470mhz glass mount
antenna on my 2004 Dodge Ram pick up and i was wondering if anyone
knew the best spot to place this antenna. I have read about glass with
tint causing problems.The rear window (where i want to put it) has a
light tint,how will know if this will make my antenna performance
suffer? Are some tints worse than others? I hate to stick it there and
have not work then have to scrape it off. The windshield is clear but
who wants an antenna on the windshield?

Thanks alot

The "TRICK" to TV 'type' Coax Cable [Shielded] SWL Loop Antennas {RHF} RHF Antenna 27 November 3rd 04 01:38 PM
Question about Sirius Satellite Radio Antenna [email protected] Broadcasting 0 August 27th 04 07:13 PM
Another antenna mount question Bobby CB 9 May 20th 04 07:40 AM
Antenna Safety Question mBird Antenna 5 November 5th 03 06:13 PM
Antenna: Glass mount or ? Stix Equipment 10 September 21st 03 11:14 AM