Old May 15th 04, 01:40 AM
Bobby

Default Another antenna mount question

I recently purchased an 89 Bronco, and I'm looking for a good antenna
mounting idea for this beast. I know that I can't put it on the roof of the
truck (clearance issues around town). I've thought about a bumper mount,
but options are limited due to the placement of the taillights. After
looking online for a bit I'm thinking of something like a doorjamb mount at
the tailgate... but I'd like to know if anyone else has mounted an antenna
on a similar vehicle to learn from their mistakes\experiences. Right now
I'm using one of the cheapie magnet mounts on the roof of the truck that
forces me to crank the squelch up so high I must be within 50 feet of
whomever I'm talking to. Been reading this group just long enough to know
that antenna mounts is a subject that gets posted frequently enough.
Unfortunately, I'm not the exception.

Old May 15th 04, 01:45 AM
Steveo

"Bobby" wrote:
I recently purchased an 89 Bronco, and I'm looking for a good antenna
mounting idea for this beast. I know that I can't put it on the roof of
the truck (clearance issues around town). I've thought about a bumper
mount, but options are limited due to the placement of the taillights.
After looking online for a bit I'm thinking of something like a doorjamb
mount at the tailgate... but I'd like to know if anyone else has mounted
an antenna on a similar vehicle to learn from their mistakes\experiences.
Right now I'm using one of the cheapie magnet mounts on the roof of the
truck that forces me to crank the squelch up so high I must be within 50
feet of whomever I'm talking to. Been reading this group just long
enough to know that antenna mounts is a subject that gets posted
frequently enough. Unfortunately, I'm not the exception.

Is a mirror mount an option? You can always un-screw it for
the clearance problems. (forget the twin talkers) g

--
I won't retire, but I might retread.
Old May 15th 04, 09:40 PM
Bobby

Mag mount is the on Wal-Mart sells for about 10 bucks. I wanted to be sure
that my old radio still worked. Every time I drive into an area with low
clearance, I must get out crawl across the roof of the vehicle and remove
the antenna. Before spending a bit more money on a more permanent mount, I
would like to lose that particular inconvenience

Old May 15th 04, 09:45 PM
Bobby

"Steveo" wrote in message
| "Bobby" wrote:
| I recently purchased an 89 Bronco, and I'm looking for a good antenna
| mounting idea for this beast. I know that I can't put it on the roof of
| the truck (clearance issues around town). I've thought about a bumper
| mount, but options are limited due to the placement of the taillights.
| After looking online for a bit I'm thinking of something like a doorjamb
| mount at the tailgate... but I'd like to know if anyone else has
mounted
| an antenna on a similar vehicle to learn from their
mistakes\experiences.
| Right now I'm using one of the cheapie magnet mounts on the roof of the
| truck that forces me to crank the squelch up so high I must be within 50
| feet of whomever I'm talking to. Been reading this group just long
| enough to know that antenna mounts is a subject that gets posted
| frequently enough. Unfortunately, I'm not the exception.
|
| Is a mirror mount an option? You can always un-screw it for
| the clearance problems. (forget the twin talkers) g
|
| --
| I won't retire, but I might retread.

That is, although I'm at a loss for cable routing. The only way I see to
route the cable would be through a window or the door and doorframe (current
method used) which pinches. I see that mirror mounts seem to be the most
popular, but would a 3' antenna higher up on the vehicle be more effective
then say a 5' mounted a bit lower?

Old May 15th 04, 11:25 PM
Frank Gilliland

In , "Bobby" wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message
| "Bobby" wrote:
| I recently purchased an 89 Bronco, and I'm looking for a good antenna
| mounting idea for this beast. I know that I can't put it on the roof of
| the truck (clearance issues around town). I've thought about a bumper
| mount, but options are limited due to the placement of the taillights.
| After looking online for a bit I'm thinking of something like a doorjamb
| mount at the tailgate... but I'd like to know if anyone else has
mounted
| an antenna on a similar vehicle to learn from their
mistakes\experiences.
| Right now I'm using one of the cheapie magnet mounts on the roof of the
| truck that forces me to crank the squelch up so high I must be within 50
| feet of whomever I'm talking to. Been reading this group just long
| enough to know that antenna mounts is a subject that gets posted
| frequently enough. Unfortunately, I'm not the exception.
|
| Is a mirror mount an option? You can always un-screw it for
| the clearance problems. (forget the twin talkers) g
|
| --
| I won't retire, but I might retread.

That is, although I'm at a loss for cable routing. The only way I see to
route the cable would be through a window or the door and doorframe (current
method used) which pinches.

There should be a flexible wiring duct between the door and the frame, and you
can route it through there without any pinching.

I see that mirror mounts seem to be the most
popular, but would a 3' antenna higher up on the vehicle be more effective
then say a 5' mounted a bit lower?

Considering that both antennas are chopped and loaded versions of a 9' whip,
there probably isn't much difference in performance between them. I would go
with the antenna and mount that gets it as high as possible.

Old May 16th 04, 11:51 PM
Steveo

Frank Gilliland wrote:
In , "Bobby"
wrote:

"Steveo" wrote in message
| "Bobby" wrote:
| I recently purchased an 89 Bronco, and I'm looking for a good
| antenna mounting idea for this beast. I know that I can't put it on
| the roof of the truck (clearance issues around town). I've thought
| about a bumper mount, but options are limited due to the placement
| of the taillights. After looking online for a bit I'm thinking of
| something like a doorjamb mount at the tailgate... but I'd like to
| know if anyone else has
mounted
| an antenna on a similar vehicle to learn from their
mistakes\experiences.
| Right now I'm using one of the cheapie magnet mounts on the roof of
| the truck that forces me to crank the squelch up so high I must be
| within 50 feet of whomever I'm talking to. Been reading this group
| just long enough to know that antenna mounts is a subject that gets
| posted frequently enough. Unfortunately, I'm not the exception.
|
| Is a mirror mount an option? You can always un-screw it for
| the clearance problems. (forget the twin talkers) g
|
| --
| I won't retire, but I might retread.

That is, although I'm at a loss for cable routing. The only way I see
to route the cable would be through a window or the door and doorframe
(current method used) which pinches.

There should be a flexible wiring duct between the door and the frame,
and you can route it through there without any pinching.

I see that mirror mounts seem to be the most
popular, but would a 3' antenna higher up on the vehicle be more
effective then say a 5' mounted a bit lower?

Considering that both antennas are chopped and loaded versions of a 9'
whip, there probably isn't much difference in performance between them. I
would go with the antenna and mount that gets it as high as possible.

The coax run is never easy, even with a magnet mount. Like Frank
said you can go down thru the door and out the door boot. It
sounds like a reasonable alternative for you.

The longer the antenna, the better.

--
http://www.allpar.com/mopar.html
Old May 17th 04, 04:17 AM
W ä l r ü s

I used to own both a Jeep & a full-size Chevy Blazer. In both, I used the
magnet on the "inside". I peeled just a few inches of carpet back in the
tailgate area & just stuck it there in the back corner. Although enclosed
in the trucks, it did just fine. I used a power mic for a little added
enhancement. Worked like a charm.

Give it a try for a week & see. It's not permanent & it may work for you.

Thanks!
Wälrüs

Old May 20th 04, 07:40 AM
Bobby

After re-reading the "antenna whine?" thread, I think I have been able to
deduce the cause of my noisy cheapo antenna to something entirely
different... the radio unit itself not being properly grounded. Thanks to
WALRUS for suggesting I mount it inside the truck (caused me to run the
radio without the truck running) and to Frank for that kick-hiney analogy
that stuck in my mind. Fairly sure that it's one of my fuel pumps inducing
some noise. I'm still going with a better antenna. I'm leaning more
towards a longer one on the bumper as opposed to a shorter one on the side
view mirror. I had planned on keeping the height above the vehicle about
the same so I figure the longer antenna, the better.

Thanks to everyone that replied