Old December 1st 03, 07:09 AM
Jim Mac Donald

Default "FREE SCANNER PROGRAMMING"

Has any one taken advantage of the offer made by Radio Shack
to program your new police scanne in teh storer " With in store
purchase"!
I' m wondering how accurate and all encompassing are their frequency
files, is the trunk settings to the correct mode? Are "fleet Maps" and
talk groups
included?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CT LG%5F008%5F009%5F010%5F003&product%5Fid=20%2D525

This is a great way to get a new trunking radio scanner up and running.
Then
take it home listen for a while. Step through the memory channels and
trunking systems
to find out how correct the information is. Then customize the scanner
to your area!
Even if there is not a trunking system with in your reception zone,
just having the conventional
frequencies entered shouldl be a great help!
Jim

Old December 1st 03, 11:59 AM
Woolridge

neat!
thats a great idea for new people getting into the scanner scene.
i'd really appreciate it if i was to buy one.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...egory%5Fname=C

Old December 1st 03, 01:05 PM
HarryC

I've used this service recently. It worked no problem when I bought the
scanner. I lost the stored Freqs in a 'user mishap' associated with 'Win95'
recently. I went back to RS to ask them to re-program it. They flat refused.
In fact, the guy behind the counter stated "I work on commision and don't
have time for this". Mind you, it took all of one minute to upload the Freqs
to the scanner on the first go-around, and I actually was buying another
antenna at the time. I finally convinced the store manager to give me a
printout of a local EDACS trunk I was after. In his defense, he stated that
"we get too many requests for re-programs..I'd rather show you how to
program the scanner than to have you come back time and time again for
re-programs". I told him 'I know how to program the thing, I just wanted
the Freqs'. So, for whatever it is worth, don't be surprised if you get this
same treatment. I can tell you that I am less apt to return to this
particular store in the future.
Harryc

Old December 1st 03, 06:03 PM
Woolridge

that sucks
damn pushy radioshack people. they'd rather deal some cellphones than be
interested in helping you out.
so much for "you've got questions we've got answers"

Old December 2nd 03, 03:42 AM
bunny_boy

you know what. Here in Canada. I have not heard that slogan for awhile. lol.
They are way too rude here to make a good sale.

Old December 2nd 03, 04:16 AM
Jim Mac Donald

Now that you have Win95n is there a way to save the frequencies
loaded by the store? And that's a good idea the ask for a print out
of the frequencies! Dose Win95 support a print out if the files you load
in the scanner?

Another way to do a pint out is by HAND :
open a blank text editor on the computer and make your own list,
by stepping through all the memory channels and typing out
the channel number, frequencies and user information!Or just do this
by long hand on blank sheets of paper!
Jim

Old December 3rd 03, 12:07 PM
Jim Mac Donald

I've had similar problems with the ICOM IC R-2
When trying to load a file with free ware into the R-2, it gives a
message,
"ERROR" thatr comes up on the R-2's display. Then after turing the
power off and
ofback on "CLEAR" shows up on the display and every thing in memory is
dumped.

I try to use the application that came with the computer cable,
it will set the "CLONE" mode for the file transfer automatically in the
R-2 and if the file transfer crashes
the memory contents in the R-2 are not lost.

Thanks for letting us know how the in store programming is working out.
I have down loaded a copy of Win92 and looked at Win95, they look like
easy to us applications.
Jim

Old December 3rd 03, 01:20 PM
Bob Parnass

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 06:07:20 -0500, Jim Mac Donald wrote:

I've had similar problems with the ICOM IC R-2
When trying to load a file with free ware into the R-2, it gives a
message,
"ERROR" thatr comes up on the R-2's display. Then after turing the
power off and
ofback on "CLEAR" shows up on the display and every thing in memory is
dumped.

I try to use the application that came with the computer cable,
it will set the "CLONE" mode for the file transfer automatically in the
R-2 and if the file transfer crashes
the memory contents in the R-2 are not lost....

Jim,

I don't know which software you are using for the ICOM IC-R2.
My experience is that a cloning operation will fail if
the radio's batteries are weak. This is especially true for the ICOM
and Yaesu portables which are powered by 2 AA cells.

Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com

Old December 4th 03, 03:29 AM
TerMarL

Not all Radio Shacks have the means to provide the free programming. For
instance, there are five+ in SE Connecticut. None could do it.