Old December 13th 03, 10:11 PM
JQ

Default Cable and software for Pro-95

I just got a pro-95 on sale today, but some things I've seen on the web
mention problems with getting software to interface with the scanner.

The guy at the store referred me to the site www.pro-92.com, and he said
there's a link on it to the pro-95 software.

On the radio shack website they show cable #20-289 out of stock, and my
local store couldn't order it either.

So, is there an easy method to get a cable and software to interface with
the pro-95 or should I just return the darn thing?

Thanks!

Old December 13th 03, 10:23 PM
Frank

JQ ...

Is JQ short for Scott the fish man?

^ ... is there an easy method to get a cable and software to
^ interface with the pro-95 ...

I've been using the freeware program WIN.EXE with a cable I bought from Black
Bag Software. If you search for "DON STARR" and "WIN.EXE" you'll find the web
site, and I think he has a link to Black Bag Software.

Frank

Old December 13th 03, 10:56 PM
Jim Douglas

The cable from radioshack does not work, repeat now matter what they said it
will not work. Search google for the cable. I am also using the WIN95
software with a cable from a company in california and it works great!

Old December 14th 03, 01:48 AM
Mark

If you go to the Pro-92 site, on the left you'll see a link for software and
one for the programming cable, However, I've saved you that effort, got to
this link http://www.starrsoft.com/freeware/win95/default.asp and you can
download the Win95 software. There is also a link on this page to various
sources for the cable. But have you tried 1-800-THE-SHACK or done a store
search for the cable? Both show availability. Go to this link:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...%5Fid=20%2D289
and try the product locator by entering your zip code. Just checking using
my zip code, I found four stores within 50 miles of my home that have the
cable. One is a company store and company stores will transfer stock at no
extra cost. So check either resource and you should get a cable.

BTW, another posting says the cable won't work, he's wrong. The cable you
mention, P/N 20-289 (gray color), will work to program the 95. The cable
he's thinking about is the 20-048 (black), and it won't do the job.

Mark

PS Your local store isn't trying very hard. Do the search, print it out
and take it in, embarrasses the clerks no end!

Old December 14th 03, 04:09 AM
Phil Irey

The #20-289 cable from Radio Shack does work. I just bought one on
Thursday and it works fine with my Pro-95. I had to look in 4
different stores before I found the cable.

Check out the following link for more information on cables that can
be used with the Pro-95:
http://www.starrsoft.com/freeware/Wi...es/cables.html

phil

Old December 14th 03, 01:15 PM
Jim Douglas

That's wierd, I wonder if they are new different cables, I also bought one
from RS and found later that none of their cables support the scanner. The
one I had purchased did not work at all, nothing, now I am wondering was it
busted.

m...

Old December 14th 03, 05:18 PM
Mark

Jim, check the part number and color of the cable you bought. You want the
gray cable, P/N 20-289. If you got the black cable, P/N 20-048 (usually
comes bundled with a CD), then you got or were sold the wrong cable. If you
got the 20-289 and it doesn't work, and you are sure that the problem
doesn't come from the computer, then you got a bum cable. Many times, the
people experiencing problems with cables that should work (and I'm not
talking about just the R/S cable) are actually having com port problems. In
my case, the HotSync program for my Palm PDA was grabbing and not releasing
the com port. Once I disabled that, the cable worked fine. I'd try the
cable on different computers before declaring it bad, but if it is, take it
back and exchange it.

Mark

That's wierd, I wonder if they are new different cables, I also bought one
from RS and found later that none of their cables support the scanner. The
one I had purchased did not work at all, nothing, now I am wondering was

it
busted.

m...

Old December 14th 03, 06:23 PM
Jim Douglas

I returned to cable months ago cause I could not get it to work, I don't
remember the color, I finally ordered a cable online and it worked first
time.

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

m...

Old December 14th 03, 09:05 PM
Mark

Well, then I'm going to guess that you were sold the wrong cable. The gray
cable, P/N 20-289, has only been available for about two months and the
availability has been spotty. Previously, the only cable stocked in the
stores has been the 20-048 cable and CD, which is a one-way only cable.
When it was available previously from Radio Shack, the two-way cable was a
RSU cable, available by special order only and not stocked in stores.

Mark

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

m...

Old December 17th 03, 08:43 PM
w4jle

Wrong information Sir! The cable designated for the Pro-95 and others works
just fine. I lost my blackbag cable somewhere and last week purchased the RS
one at $19.95 and it has one feature I really like over the blackbag. You
can leave it plugged in! The other cables go to clone mode the instant they
are plugged in, not so with the RS.