Old March 12th 04, 02:52 AM
BobAR8

Default F.S. Radio Shack Pro-93

Radio Shack Pro-93 300 ch. trunking scanner
its in mint condition, this is version 1.03 without the bug.
with box, manual, antenna and 2- battery cases

$100 plus shipping
THIS EMAIL IS FOR A FRIEND
PLEASE CALL
ALAN LILIEN IF INTERESTED, ITS HIS RADIO
(561)495-5706
Old March 12th 04, 05:42 AM
Er G............

I am interested in the scanner. What 'bug' are you talking about?

Er G.
education CANNOT buy common sense
Old March 12th 04, 08:19 PM
Newsgroup Lurker

"Er G............" wrote in message
I am interested in the scanner. What 'bug' are you talking about?

Er G.
education CANNOT buy common sense

Early versions have firmware bug that causes alpha tags to be duplicated in
several banks. Press 3 while the display says "WELCOME TO DUAL TRUNKING",
and it will reveal the firmware version.

Version 1.0 is the only one affected, the newer ones aren't.

Old March 12th 04, 10:09 PM
BobAR8

PLEASE CALL THE GENTLEMAN LISTED
IN THE ORIGINAL AD IF YOU WANT THIS RADIO.

thanks
Bob
Old July 12th 04, 04:59 PM
BillW50

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:19:16 -0600

Early versions have firmware bug that causes alpha tags to be
duplicated in several banks. Press 3 while the display says
"WELCOME TO DUAL TRUNKING", and it will reveal the firmware
version.

Version 1.0 is the only one affected, the newer ones aren't.

Well I have a version 1.0 and I would really like to know of a list
trouble duplicates. Maybe I could stay away from them. I do know 905
writes over 019 so far. Also is the firmware upgradeable? Thanks in
advance.

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000

Old July 12th 04, 10:10 PM
Frank346

Alpha tags for channels 816 - 929 are mirrored in channels
014 - 113. It appears that only one byte was used for the
address of the channel number and that covers 256 channels
rather than 300. Channel 816 is the 257th channel and its
tag is wrapping back to the first channel, 000. All channels
up to 929 are affected, with 929 wrapping back to 113.
This affects all version 1.00 firmware PRO-93's.
If channel alpha tags are not entered in channels 816-929
the tags in channels 014-113 are not corrupted.

Firmware can only be upgraded by replacing the CPU or replacing the whole
logic board. Check at your local Radio Shack and ask about the firmware
upgrade program for the PRO-93. They should know about it and be able to
send your radio to a regional repair center for upgrade.

Old July 13th 04, 01:36 AM
BillW50

Hi Frank... Hey thanks a lot. That sure helps me out. Say is that
firmware upgrade program costly? And won't you know, the volume just
today started fading in and out. So I had taken it apart and somewhere
there is a cold solder joint or a cracked run I would imagine and I
can't find out where it is. Although the good news is I have it stable
now. But the bad news is it is about at 25% of the volume it had
originally. I can only get full volume when the board is out of the case
and apply a little pressure on it. This would probably cost more to
repair than what it is worth, wouldn't you think?

Old July 13th 04, 06:00 PM
BillW50

Hi Frank... Well I stopped into Radio Shack today and they gave me an
estimate of $62 for repair. But the actual charge is up to the repair
center. I dunno, as for about $38 more I can buy one without the bug and
has more volume than this one. Although I could fix the volume on this
one if I can locate a schematic for the Pro-93.

Speaking about the bug, I have a two digit alpha tag on 902. Although
funny that one doesn't show up in Bank 0 (or even Bank 1 for that
matter). Thus maybe it has to be longer before it actually wraps?

Old July 14th 04, 10:14 PM
Frank346

The alpha tag bug depends only on the address pointer. The content of the
tag itself has no bearing on the problem.

The issue is confusing because there are two places from which the alpha tag
information is drawn. If a channel alpha tag is not programmed, that is,
left at default, the Bank x Ch yyy display is loaded from the default
template stored in the CPU ROM. When you modify the alpha tag the pointer
changes to load it from the EEPROM. If channel 019 has a default alpha tag,
writing an alpha tag at channel 905 will not change it. If channel 019 has
an alpha tag you entered, subsequently writing a tag at channel 905 will
change the one at channel 019 as well.

In my previous message I should have said that alpha tags for channels 816 -
929 are mirrored in channels 000 - 113. When I owned a PRO-93 the upgrade
was done while it was under warranty and it was free. At the price they gave
you it probably is not worth sending in.