Old March 20th 04, 03:34 PM
Andy in NJ

Default Portable cell towers on Garden State Parkway?

Has anyone else noticed what appears to be portable cell towers up and down
the GSP? They are towers on trailors with a small box at the end, maybe a
generator and most are placed in the center median, at the SP turnarounds.
Are these part of some State Police communications network? Are they part of
a commercial cellular network? Anyone have any idea?

--
73! de Andy KC2SSB
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw

Old March 20th 04, 05:53 PM
KD2PM

Most likely if its in the median of the road, those are temporary cell
towers.

While waiting to get easements and permits to build a new tower or to go on
an existing tower, this is the temp solution to get customers the coverage
they need.

Nextel finally got theirs up at the 131 mile marker not too long ago having
to go the same route.

Old March 21st 04, 03:39 AM
Jim Mac Donald

In Massachusetts, the folks doing traffic reports on local TV refer to s=
ensors
that they say monitor the traffic flow. The sensors appear to be alu=
minum
poles and wooden telephone poles forty feet high, and have gone up a=
long
side I 93 and Rt. 3 in the past month. They have two (2) solar panels =
and a
small white box, with no TV camera lense, half way up the poles looking d=
own at
a 45=BA angle, facing the roadway! Below this is a junction box at chest =
level.
It's too bad they couldn't just us the existing highway over head sight =
posts.
That are just feet away form them!

It's possable the sensor post my have to be a certain distance apart to =
measure
the traffic flow. Even so, one post could have been a traffic sign and t=
he next
a stand alone post! Also weather towers, in fenced in compounds are set=
up at
interchanges along the highway.
Jim

Old March 21st 04, 01:26 PM
Andy in NJ

"KD2PM" wrote in message
Most likely if its in the median of the road, those are temporary cell
towers.

While waiting to get easements and permits to build a new tower or to go

on
an existing tower, this is the temp solution to get customers the coverage
they need.

Nextel finally got theirs up at the 131 mile marker not too long ago

having
to go the same route.

But these are at regular intervals, every few miles, so I don't think it's a
cell phone company waiting get build a new tower. I frequently travel
between exit 80 and 128, and these are deployed the entire distance, every
few miles.

Old March 22nd 04, 04:29 AM
KD2PM

Been a while since I traveled the GSP, I am normally on the NJTP.

Sometimes they throw up the EZ-pass monitors to check on traffic conditions
by monitoring the EZ Pass vehicles to determine speed and thus traffic
conditions. But that would mean you should see the antennas pointing down at
the roadway. If these have more of an OMNI positioning, beats me. I would
have to drive up there. I sometimes frequent 131 to 145 so I may not see it
if it does not head up that far.

Old March 22nd 04, 03:51 PM
Andy in NJ

"KD2PM" wrote in message
Been a while since I traveled the GSP, I am normally on the NJTP.

Sometimes they throw up the EZ-pass monitors to check on traffic

conditions
by monitoring the EZ Pass vehicles to determine speed and thus traffic
conditions. But that would mean you should see the antennas pointing down

at
the roadway. If these have more of an OMNI positioning, beats me. I would
have to drive up there. I sometimes frequent 131 to 145 so I may not see

it
if it does not head up that far.

These towers have antennas that appear to operate in the same frequency
range as cell towers. They are placed in omni position, like cell towers, so
I don't think they're watching ez-pass. I figured it was probably part of
some state police communications network, but I'm not sure. I rarely travel
above exit 128, so I am unsure if they continue up that way.

Old April 10th 04, 07:08 AM
LoBall

Above all else...WHY would anyone live in New Jersey?

Old April 10th 04, 11:44 PM

I love NJ. It is a great little state.