Old April 8th 04, 11:20 PM
Geoff Green

Default IC-R2 won't power up after long idle period

Hi.

My 3 year old R2 got stuck in a drawer for 8 months or so (with
batteries removed). Now it won't power up. Holding the power button
in does nothing (no display, no sound). Voltage looks good across the
batteries while in place in the battery holder (and the terminals
don't look obviously deteriorated). I've also tried the partial and full
reset key combinations from the manual with no luck.

Any clues where to start?

Thanks,
Geoff...

Old April 9th 04, 12:16 AM
mike

i would think it must have some kind of internal 'memory retention' system
could be a rechargeable, lithium, or capacitor discharge system.

might be worthwhile to leave a set of batteries in overnight to see if it
'comes alive'

if not, try the full reset again, maybe a night with power will sort it.

mike

"Geoff Green" wrote in message
Hi.

My 3 year old R2 got stuck in a drawer for 8 months or so (with
batteries removed). Now it won't power up. Holding the power button
in does nothing (no display, no sound). Voltage looks good across the
batteries while in place in the battery holder (and the terminals
don't look obviously deteriorated). I've also tried the partial and full
reset key combinations from the manual with no luck.

Any clues where to start?

Thanks,
Geoff...

---

Old April 9th 04, 06:44 AM
FREESPIRIT

Capacitors have a tendency to dry out and stop operating after several
months of non operation,its possible thats whatrs happenned to yours.
Looking at the capacitors you cant tell a good one from a dead one [worse
luck],i suggest you put it into you local tech shop and after you get it
back fire it up atleast once a month.

Old April 12th 04, 04:10 PM
SIG-INT

"FREESPIRIT" wrote in
:

"mike" wrote in message
[...]

In my experience, it takes more than a few months for capacitors to dry-
up. Even 8 months doesnt sound long enough for it to be a dry cap
problem (Although it is a possibility). It sounds more like a memory
retention problem, or a screwed up micro-processor. An Icom dealer might
have a suggestion for you. Try putting in fresh batteries, or external
power, then remove them, then full reset, then power again, and see what
happens. If this doesn't solve your problem, then it is time for an
authorized Icom dealer to have a look...SIG-INT