Old May 4th 04, 08:44 PM
John Neiberger

Default Scanner for EMI/RF Detection

I have a business site that is suffering from rather dramatic EMI/RF
noise that is causing problems with both the voice and data networks.
I see a lot of errors due to noise on the data network, and the
handset cords on our user's phones pick up a rather painful
intermittent static burst.

I have a handheld EMI detector but it's not a scanner and doesn't tell
me what frequency is actually causing the problem. I think I know the
source of the problem but I need some help nailing it down.

I'm considering the Opto Digital Scout since it appears to do what I
want. My hope is that I could send this to the site and have them let
it run for a few hours, and then look through the logs to see what
frequencies are being hit. My best guess is that the offending source
is in the HF to VHF range, but that's just a guess.

Would the Digital Scout be a good choice for this sort of application?
I could hire someone to do an on-site analysis but that would probably
cost more than buying the Scout on my own.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,
John
Old May 5th 04, 03:28 PM
John Neiberger

I thought that might be a better solution since it would provide so
much more information. Now the tough part is going to be finding a
place to rent one. I was doing some cursory searching yesterday and
couldn't find a place near here (Lakewood, CO). I'm sure there are a
few places around that have them, though, I just need to find them.

Thanks!
John

Get a spectrum analyzer.

Old May 5th 04, 03:48 PM

Try electro rent or test equity. I am pretty sure they have a website.
Keep in mind Spec Ani's are not cheap. I have rented them at work and they
range from $500 - $1000 per month.

--
Mike Flyin'8
Old May 5th 04, 04:03 PM
John Neiberger

Can you recommend any particular analyzer for this application? I
think a lower-end handheld unit is probably the way to go. Since I'm a
newbie I don't think I need the more advanced functions that the
really big units provide.

I was just doing a quick search and ran across the Anritsu 2711D. That
seems to be a pretty nice unit and I doubt it would cost very much to
rent for a couple of weeks. The documentation seems to be clear and it
seems to be easy to use.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again,
John

Get a spectrum analyzer.

Old May 5th 04, 05:01 PM
Volker Tonn

John Neiberger schrieb:

I have a business site that is suffering from rather dramatic EMI/RF
noise that is causing problems...

Any thoughts?

The AOR AR3000A can do that with additional software and designated
antennas. I read about it some years ago. Maybe the 'expansion kit' is
still available. The 3000A's are showing up for sale quite often.
Not very cheap though...

odo

Old May 5th 04, 06:49 PM

Any spectrum analyzer should do the job. Just take a look at the
sensitivity of the unit to ensure it will pick up small signals. I am
partial to the HP (Agilant) (spelling may be wrong here) spec ani's, but
you gotta pay out the nose for those.

The Advantest units are cheaper, and also work very well.

I do not think a scanner will do what it is you want and an analyzer is the
answer to finding your problem.

Old May 6th 04, 05:01 AM
John Neiberger

Any idea how to find someone local to Denver or Colorado Springs who
might be able to do this for us? We'd be willing to pay for it, of
course, but one person we found who could do it does not have his own
equipment so we'd have to pay rental fees on top of his $165/hour fee!

Ouch!!

So, that's why I'm considering renting a unit and learning to do it
myself for this particular job. However, if I could find someone to do
it for a reasonable fee I'd definitely consider it.

I've been doing Internet searches for people who do EMI/RF site surveys,
and I've even looked at people who do countersurveillance, but so far no
luck.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John

Old May 7th 04, 06:45 PM
Dennis

Contact the ARRL Technical Coordinator in your state. he might be able to
direct you to a ham radio operator in your area who has access to the
required equipment and would be willing to do it a lot cheaper than $165 an
hour.

I'm in NH and I do this type of work on the side. For hams with RF problems,
it's free. For everyone else it's a lot less than $165!!!

Dennis

FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 October 8th 05 12:47 AM
Pro-95 Scanner John Jenkins Scanner 2 January 16th 04 01:21 AM
Coax signal deteriotion to Scanner Paul Keenleyside Scanner 3 December 10th 03 03:39 AM
Scanner FAQ... Jon Greenstein Scanner 2 October 2nd 03 03:55 PM
FS: scanner stuff Bart V Scanner 1 September 22nd 03 05:43 AM