Old May 21st 04, 02:25 PM
Clay

"David Clark" wrote in message
news:40ade539.2586268@news-server...
On Tue, 18 May 2004 00:05:16 GMT, "Clay"
wrote:

"George Blomfield" wrote in message
Yes, the 1550 is (IMHO) much better than the PCR, but please don't
take my word for it - try them both (as I did). As to the price
difference, well yes, I would not expect them to be the same price -
it's enough just to look closely at the quality of the mechanical
construction and the reason is already obvious there. Plus there is
more of course. I would not expect to buy a Ferrari for the price of a
Ford, even though a Ford would get me from A to B too - but who would
not prefer to drive a Ferrari... :-)

Yes, I've seen them both, both inside and outside. And I can't imagine what

you
mean by 'quality of the mechanical construction' as being such a
differentiation.

Well I can, actually, because I have both. The PCR case is made of
cheap folded sheet metal. When I bought it, it was already slightly
rusty inside. The WR1550e is housed in a beautiful, solidly made,
powder-coated aluminium extrusion. It does show that this manufacturer
has attention to detail.

In any case, I believe George does not make this his sole
differentiation - read his post carefully.

David

All it shows is that the manufacturer has access to the same boxes used by the
$20 12v-110v inverter makers that are also packaged in a 'beautiful solidly made
power coated aluminum extrusions'.

I do have to admit that those 'looks' helped a lot when I sold mine [while
keeping my pcr1000 that is 'beautifully compact' in its' custom designed case
and fits much better in my briefcase too...]

For me, the case wasn't worth 2x the price for indistinguishable differences in
performance.

Old May 21st 04, 04:33 PM
Volker Tonn

David Clark schrieb:

Well I can, actually, because I have both. The PCR case is made of
cheap folded sheet metal. When I bought it, it was already slightly
rusty inside. The WR1550e is housed in a beautiful, solidly made,
powder-coated aluminium extrusion. It does show that this manufacturer
has attention to detail.

Do you have any comparision how these things compete in pure receiving
skills on shortwave and on VHF-AIR, weather-sat receiving?
I do not(!) want to speak on the software capabilities :-)
I have the PCR1000 and I use 3rd party soft for decoding and the ICOM
soft for tuning and swwitching the PCR so far as some decoding progs do
not support remote control of the PCR1000.

Old January 27th 05, 08:15 AM
JohnNDenver

Wanted to buy used WR 1550E