Old June 9th 04, 08:16 AM
Patty Winter

Default Air Force One callsign when not AF1?

I keep hearing that "Air Force One" will be carrying Pres. Reagan's
casket between California and Washington, D.C., but it won't really
be using that callsign, will it? Won't it just be "Air Force 28000"
(or 29000)?

If anyone hears it on Wednesday or Friday, please post a followup to
this query. I'm not in its flight path so won't be able to listen for
it myself.

Patty

Old June 9th 04, 10:01 AM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , Patty Winter wrote:
I keep hearing that "Air Force One" will be carrying Pres. Reagan's
casket between California and Washington, D.C., but it won't really
be using that callsign, will it? Won't it just be "Air Force 28000"
(or 29000)?

By definition any airplane with the president of the U.S. on board uses
the callsign "Air Force One".

The "flying office" of the president is called Air Force One, but it does not
use that callsign when the president is not in it. I assume they have real
callsigns, (there are two of them) not just 28000 and 29000.

However N28000 used to be registered to someone else.

I'm sure they have callsigns besides Air Force One that they use when they
don't want to announce their presence, Let's face it, "Bagdad tower, this
is Air Force One, 25 miles out at 10,000 feet on course 180.",
is not something they would want to say over unencrypted VHF radio.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Old June 9th 04, 11:11 AM
dxAce

Patty Winter wrote:

I keep hearing that "Air Force One" will be carrying Pres. Reagan's
casket between California and Washington, D.C., but it won't really
be using that callsign, will it? Won't it just be "Air Force 28000"
(or 29000)?

If anyone hears it on Wednesday or Friday, please post a followup to
this query. I'm not in its flight path so won't be able to listen for
it myself.

It may use the designation SAM 28000 (Special Air Mission).

It may be possible to hear the flight on VHF and/or UHF ATC frequencies.
I'll be listening on 11175 USB myself.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old June 9th 04, 12:05 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

Patty Winter wrote:

I keep hearing that "Air Force One" will be carrying Pres. Reagan's
casket between California and Washington, D.C., but it won't really
be using that callsign, will it? Won't it just be "Air Force 28000"
(or 29000)?

If anyone hears it on Wednesday or Friday, please post a followup to
this query. I'm not in its flight path so won't be able to listen for
it myself.

It may use the designation SAM 28000 (Special Air Mission).

It may be possible to hear the flight on VHF and/or UHF ATC frequencies.
I'll be listening on 11175 USB myself.

ABC News is reporting that President Reagan's body will be flown on Air
Force One (though I doubt that callsign will be used, it is always a
possibility) to Washington today via the Pt. Mugu Naval Air Station which
is near Oxnard, CA.

It was reported ealier that the aircraft will be tail #28000.

Old June 9th 04, 03:21 PM
Radio Amateur KC2HMZ

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 06:11:20 -0400, dxAce
wrote:

Patty Winter wrote:

I keep hearing that "Air Force One" will be carrying Pres. Reagan's
casket between California and Washington, D.C., but it won't really
be using that callsign, will it? Won't it just be "Air Force 28000"
(or 29000)?

The actual aircraft used is reportedly going to be #28000.

It may use the designation SAM 28000 (Special Air Mission).

Bingo. That, or "Executive One" though I would expect the use of the
SAM callsign under the circumstances.

It may be possible to hear the flight on VHF and/or UHF ATC frequencies.
I'll be listening on 11175 USB myself.

Don't forget the HF aero MWARA and LDOC freqs, as well as the Mystic
Star frequencies (the ones with the FOXTROT designators).

73 DE John D. Kasupski
Tonawanda, New York, USA
Amateur Radio (KC2HMZ), HF/VHF/UHF Monitoring (KNY2VS)
Member ARRL, ARATS, ARES, RACES, WUN

Old June 9th 04, 05:08 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
In article , Patty Winter wrote:
I keep hearing that "Air Force One" will be carrying Pres. Reagan's
casket between California and Washington, D.C., but it won't really
be using that callsign, will it? Won't it just be "Air Force 28000"
(or 29000)?

The "flying office" of the president is called Air Force One, but it does not
use that callsign when the president is not in it.

Yes, I know. That's why I don't think the plane will actually be
using the callsign AF1 despite news reports to that effect, and
therefore why I posted my query.

I live near Moffett Field and have heard the planes come in under
the AF1 callsign numerous times. Part of the final approach that
a 747 takes to Moffett is easy for me to see, so I usually run
outside with the binocs when it happens. One of the shuttle carrier
747s was in town for the airshow recently, but I missed its entrance
and exit. Should've left the 2010 on more. :-)

And Steve (in another posting), you're right--it is 28000. I'm
seeing some live shots of it on the ground at Point Mugu.

Patty

Old June 9th 04, 05:42 PM
dxAce

Patty Winter wrote:

In article ,
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
[...]

Yes, and Peter Jennings referred to it as Special Air Mission 28000.

Old June 10th 04, 03:02 AM
Mike T.

Interesting thread! Although I'm slightly OT - what is the current
designation of the Presidential Limo when the Commander and Chief is aboard?

Surely, it's no longer the SFX100, (poor memory) or one of those Kennedy
years callsigns? Also, from the pix I've seen of Presidential Motorcades,
there are tons of big, black Chevy Blazers doing escort and the Prez Limo
itself seems to have few antennas. Again, I'm only going from memory - but
has anyone heard a 'sitting' President or support crew tx'ing from the
actual limo?

During some G-4 conferences here in Canada, I've been told some CSIS and SS
comms have been heard. But, nothing 'heavy', just things like: "Position of
#1 is secure"...or "Escort #2, reply on channel 3". (Of course, channel "3"
was encrypted and unlistenable) A good thing considering our recent history
of terrorism.

Anyway, just wondering...
MT

"David" wrote in message
SAM 28 thousand.

On 09 Jun 2004 12:09:15 GMT, "-=jd=-"
wrote:

On Wed 09 Jun 2004 03:16:57a, (Patty Winter) wrote

in
message :

I keep hearing that "Air Force One" will be carrying Pres. Reagan's
casket between California and Washington, D.C., but it won't really
be using that callsign, will it? Won't it just be "Air Force 28000"
(or 29000)?

If anyone hears it on Wednesday or Friday, please post a followup to
this query. I'm not in its flight path so won't be able to listen for
it myself.

Patty

I think it was yesterday that the major news outlets were mentioning that
Bush was sending one of the planes that serves as "Air Force One" to

provide
transportation. It is only "Air Force One" when the current President is

on
board. Otherwise, it's just a very nice ride with whatever designator the

Air
Force normally bestows upon it.

-=jd=-