Old June 17th 04, 12:16 AM
Jim noname

Default Noaa Same radios with warning only?

hello. I was wondering if any of you radio fans could suggest a good noaa
radio for me. I have a midland same radio but its little more than a toy.

The same feature is all hyped up but it does little to filter out unwanted
warnings. I work nights and have been woke up about 5 times this week from
thunderstorm and flash flood watches and I have yet to see a drop of rain.
And yes I do have it programmed correctly for my area.

Also the 9v battery backup on these radios is pathetic. It doesnt last
anytime at all and if its not replaced the screen constantly flashes telling
me I need to.

I've read the oregon scientific radios with same rarely activate properly.
Im going to pull the plug on my radio and put it on ebay. Is there any
radios that you can set for warnings only that are reliable? I thought I
read this might have been possible with the rs units. If not I might just

thanks!

Old June 18th 04, 03:08 PM
lsmyer

We have a few of the Oregon Scientific weather radios with SAME in our
household. They work too well, as far as we're concerned.

We live on a hill near the intersection of three counties. That means that
we have to program the radio to give us alerts in all three counties. And
since the area has so many rivers and streams, 95% of all weather alerts are
flood related. That means that we get awakened continuously by flood
warnings for people living near a river in the far end of one of those
counties. Because our sleep is more important to us than a flood warning, we
usually end up turning off our weather radios. One night this past month, a
very severe thunderstorm came through with winds of 80 to 100 miles per
hour. We had four hardwood trees blow over and lightning hit a tree just 20
feet from our house. No one around was injured, but there was lots of
property damage to clean up. That night, we didn't have our radio on because
the NWS had issued flood warnings throughout the evening, so we turned them
off before we went to bed.

I wish there was a radio that would let you pick and choose which warnings
you wanted to be alerted to. And I wish the NWS had a way to pinpoint a
smaller geographic area than a county.

Just my two cents worth on the subject.

Old July 15th 04, 12:41 AM
tomcatgbmi

i got a Radio Shack one (catalouge # 12-261) and it works great. u can attach
your rooftop antenna for better reception, it comes with an AC adapter, and can
show up to 3 SAME alerts at a time. its runs for 69.99. check it out at
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...tegory%5Fname=
&product%5Fid=12%2D261&hp=search

Tom
Old July 15th 04, 05:17 AM
Donald K

tomcatgbmi wrote:

i got a Radio Shack one (catalouge # 12-261) and it works great. u can
attach your rooftop antenna for better reception, it comes with an AC
adapter, and can show up to 3 SAME alerts at a time. its runs for
69.99. check it out at

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...tegory%5Fname=
&product%5Fid=12%2D261&hp=search

I believe Midland WR-300 has similar features and is less expensive...

Yup, currently $39.95 (w/ rebate) at Amazon.

I've got two, one at home, one at work. If the one at work goes off (for
either county), I head home...

-Donald
--
"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,
see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable