Old June 18th 04, 08:18 AM
Axl

Default New Weather Radios...?

I read in this article
(http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ert-usat_x.htm) that
NOAA will be broadcasting more than weather alerts now. I'm only
assuming that these new alerts will require a new radio?
Old June 18th 04, 03:22 PM
Scott Garvison

"Axl" wrote in message
I read in this article
(http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ert-usat_x.htm) that
NOAA will be broadcasting more than weather alerts now. I'm only
assuming that these new alerts will require a new radio?

I don't see why you would need a new radio. They are just changing what
they broadcast, not the mode of transmission.

Scott

Old June 18th 04, 04:27 PM
Donald K

Axl wrote:

I read in this article
(http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ert-usat_x.htm) that
NOAA will be broadcasting more than weather alerts now. I'm only
assuming that these new alerts will require a new radio?

My Midland has the capability of adding new "tags" for new
messages/message types. I think this is what they're probably talking
about.

There are already "civil emergency warning" "radiation hazard warning"
"nuclear power plant warning" "law enforcement warning" "child
abduction warning" etc in the SANE standard.

-Donald
--
"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,
see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable
Old June 19th 04, 04:37 AM
Axl

Yeah, that's why I was wondering...because of the pre-programed tags.

I dont think mine has the ability to add new ones...this is why I
thought maybe a new one would be necessary.

Old June 19th 04, 06:46 AM
Donald K

If your current radio meets the standard, it already has those tags.

The list of existing codes, as well as their NWS status, can be found
here...
http://weather.gov/os/eas_codes.htm

Cheers,

-Donald