Old June 28th 04, 07:55 AM
Brent

Default Scanner? Cell Phone?

How does a person tell if a scanner is capable of listening to cell phones?

Old June 28th 04, 08:08 PM
Keith

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 02:55:43 -0400, Brent wrote:

How does a person tell if a scanner is capable of listening to cell phones?

If it receives in the 800 Mhz section allocated to cell phones.
FYI, these days 90% of cell phones are digital so scanners are
useless that can receive those frequencies.

--
Best Regards, Keith http://kilowatt-radio.org/ NW Oregon Radio Page
Tried of Virus, Spyware, Adware and Popups? Switch To Mozilla Web
Old June 28th 04, 09:19 PM
Fred Burgess

"Brent" wrote in message ...
How does a person tell if a scanner is capable of listening to cell phones?

All the scanners I ever used, had the frequency range they could
recieve, on a plate on the bottom, or back of the unit. Another way
to find out is to program a cell phone frequency and see if you get an
error message.
Fred Burgess
Old June 30th 04, 06:59 AM
WG

FYI most cell-phones switch from analogue to digital depending on signal
strength and how busy the sight is. I still pickup hundreds of cell-phones
with my scanner and even more when I go down to the states. The reason for
that is that the US cell companies believe that they are protected by the US
laws and don't bother to upgrade so plenty of cell-phones to listen to in
the US.

Old June 30th 04, 02:16 PM
Mike Burch

Fred Burgess wrote:
"Brent" wrote in message ...

How does a person tell if a scanner is capable of listening to cell phones?

Yep, Try scanning between 869 to around 880 mhz WFM . I would never
consider doing this myself, but thats just what I have heard that other
really bad people have done. It takes all kinds really.

Good Luck

Mike Burch K8MB
Apache Junction AZ

Old June 30th 04, 04:40 PM
Lou

To each their own, but I'm not so sure I can understand the big deal behind
the cell phone scanning. WHY? Because:

1. you don't know who they are - I'd say 99.999% of the time, nor what the
hell most are referring to. So, it serves no useful purpose.
2. you wouldn't want someone tapping into your calls - would you?
3. it is not legal to act on or report any thing you may hear, even if it
were a murder plot being discussed.
4. if you collect private information which anyone with a cell phone or
cordless for that matter would be dumb to give out over such, then the
question begs to be answered - just what do you plan to do with it? Would
you want someone collecting yours?

Listening to local cordless phones, if that is your thing - would provide
better listening. At least you have a snow ball's chance in hell of knowing
who they are, and the things they speak of will be more localized. Hell, ya
might even hear them talk about YOU.

Lou

"Mike Burch" wrote in message

Old July 2nd 04, 06:35 PM
Evan Platt

wrote:

How does a person tell if a scanner is capable of listening to cell phones?

Why bother? Does anyone use a analog cell phone anymore?

Old July 3rd 04, 06:13 PM
Dave Holford

wrote:

How does a person tell if a scanner is capable of listening to cell phones?

Why bother? Does anyone use a analog cell phone anymore?
--

Of course not.
The whole world uses digital cell phones, digital Television, wideband

Although I understand that Mainland China is going fully digital TV by
2006, wonder how long it will take us to do that?

Dave
Old July 4th 04, 11:00 PM
WG

I don't know what world you live in but in the US the cell companies have
been hiding behind that stupid law and not fully changing over to digital. I
can always find someone to listen to on the US cell bands.

It was the FCC in the US that put that law into effect and all TV signals in
the US will have to be digital by 2006. That means that if you don't have a
digital ready TV now you will have to have a set top box. That is also why
the TV manufactures are dumping the analogue TVs with some giving them away
to clear the stock. The good point to this is that they can stack 4 or 5
channels on one signal taking up less band width also less or no
interference. Also better clarity and sound that is not do-able with
analogue. Satellite TV is already digital with the set top box so they are
years ahead of many of the rest.

Old July 5th 04, 04:40 PM
Andy in NJ

Run it under hot water for about 3 minutes, then try turning it on. If it
works, it can receive cell phones.

--
73! de Andy KC2SSB
http://shorecogs.tripod.com