Old July 21st 04, 09:01 PM
TimmY N

Default DIY fix 4 buttons on remote controls

from Hi Fi World:

"If a button on your TV or Stereo remote
control stops working due to over use
it is possible to fix it. There is a product that
you can get from most auto part stores made
by *Loctite* called "Quick Grid Rear Window
Defogger Repair Kit". It is a conductive fluid
usually used to fix rear window defroster elements in
car rear windows. To fix your remote, open up the casing
and paint the fluid on the base of the buttons
that are not working effectively (...after cleaning them
with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip first!), let it dry, and
re-assy the unit. It should now work again
good as new! "

(Note: this fix will also work for the rubber
control buttons on portable radio scanners
and shortwave radios also!) : ) : ) : )

Old July 22nd 04, 03:02 PM
William Sommerwerck

Simply cleaning the button and the contacts on the board can be enough.
Old July 22nd 04, 04:27 PM
Phil

For what it's worth, I tried this (on a Dish satellite
remote) and it work very well for about 3 hours and then
the conductive material began falling off. After a few
uses of each button, I was right back where I started,
with the addition of much conductive junk floating
around inside the remote control.

I tried conductive silver paint (from a spray can, but
applied with a "Q tip") and had the same results.

There is a product sold for this specific purpose, but I
haven't tried it yet. It is apparently rather volatile
(you are warned to use it within a specified period of
time after opening, or it dries up. It was available
through a few distributors, but don't remember which.
I should follow up and find it and try it as well.

But, save your money and time with the windshield repair
stuff. That hint was apparently written by a professional
hint writer or by someone with incredibly good luck.

Lastly, I know the difference between anecdotal and
empirical data, so take my experiences with the appropriate
quantity of salt.

phil

"TimmY N" wrote in

Old July 22nd 04, 05:35 PM
Ron Banks

I have three RF remotes for my big dish with the same problem. The original
rubber contacts were coated with what looks like graphite or carbon or some
sort. Pretty much nothing sticks to the rubber or the carbon but I found
that if I rough up the contact surface with an emery board, I can make small
bits of aluminum foil stick with regular wood glue for several months. I
put a drop of the glue on scrap paper, dip the tip of a toothpick into the
glue and use it to pick up the precut foil. Hold the foil against the
contact and pull out the toothpick. If your lucky the foil is not stuck on
your finger but on the contact :-). Seriously, it's not that much trouble
and beats the $80 cost of a new remote.

Ron

Old July 22nd 04, 05:41 PM
Panzer240

"TimmY N" wrote in news:ca751$40ff9993
:

from Hi Fi World:

"If a button on your TV or Stereo remote
control stops working due to over use
it is possible to fix it. There is a product that
you can get from most auto part stores made
by *Loctite* called "Quick Grid Rear Window
Defogger Repair Kit". It is a conductive fluid
usually used to fix rear window defroster elements in
car rear windows. To fix your remote, open up the casing
and paint the fluid on the base of the buttons
that are not working effectively (...after cleaning them
with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip first!), let it dry, and
re-assy the unit. It should now work again
good as new! "

(Note: this fix will also work for the rubber
control buttons on portable radio scanners
and shortwave radios also!) : ) : ) : )

Been doing it for years
Also works for cordless phones and just about anything that has those
cheapie membrane keypads in them.

--
Panzer

Old July 22nd 04, 05:56 PM
Syl's Old Radioz

"Ron Banks" a écrit dans le message

I can make small bits of aluminum foil stick with regular wood glue for

several months. I

Early computer keyboards were made like that. A foam pad under the key,
then a small aluminum like conductive foil glued on the pad.

The keyboard PCB had the traces etched and "silver (?)" coated.

Syl

Old July 22nd 04, 06:14 PM
phapp phapp

There is another way also which works a bit better.

Mix some graphite powder with a drop or two of varnish
on a piece of metal or plastic. Mix well, paint a
thin coat on the button, let dry overnight. Did a
remote with this technique and it's worked OK now
for 6 months. Also you can break open an old
redundant 100 ohm 1/4 or 1/2 watt carbon comp resistor
with needle-nose and extract and use the carbon from it
to mix with the varnish.