Old August 19th 04, 03:43 AM
Craig Davidson

Default Receive NDB beacons ?

Dave Holford wrote in message

Steven Swift wrote:

Hello everybody,
I wonder if anyone has already tried to receive the signal of NDB

beacons ?
These are long-range radio beacons, used by aircrafts for navigation,
operating in the frequencies from stg like 200 to 500 KHz I think.

Their
signal is AM-modulated with a sound signal of their code (three

letters) in
morse.

Just got back from a cruise to Alaska. Took my Sony 7600GR with my.

Sitting on
the top deck at night I could get 6-10 beacons, US and Canada, using just
the internal antenna. I guess bush pilots still use the beacons.

HF was also really good. At the WWV and WWVH signals came in easily.

Steve.

--

I managed to collect quite a number on a caribbean cruise, several more
in Florida, and on a good night the band is full of them. Pretty hard to

I have friends who collect them by the hundreds, it is a very active sub
hobby and there are literally thousands of NDBs scattered all over the
globe. I'm not really into it but I have seen lists of several hundred
North American beacons and any pilot will have charts and documents
listing them.

Dave

You can look them up at http://www.airnav.com/navaids/

or get a list of their locations from: