Old August 21st 04, 04:09 PM
Rob

Default EAS frequency

I'm writing in regards to the FCC's Emergency Alert System. I am a
hobbyist trying to set up a system to listen for EAS broadcasts in my
area, but although I've read over the documentation on the matter
(11.31, 47CFR)*, I can't figure out what the frequency to listen on
should be. Can anyone offer any guidance on the subject?

Thanks,
Rob

*http://www.fcc.gov/eb/eas/47part11.pdf

Old August 22nd 04, 05:55 PM
Jack Painter

"Rob" wrote

I'm writing in regards to the FCC's Emergency Alert System. I am a
hobbyist trying to set up a system to listen for EAS broadcasts in my
area, but although I've read over the documentation on the matter
(11.31, 47CFR)*, I can't figure out what the frequency to listen on
should be. Can anyone offer any guidance on the subject?

Thanks,
Rob

*http://www.fcc.gov/eb/eas/47part11.pdf

Rob, in a cooperative effort with FEMA and NOAA, the EAS are bcst in
supported areas via the NWS weather radio system on 162.xxx nationwide.

Jack

Old August 22nd 04, 05:55 PM
clifto

Rob wrote:
I'm writing in regards to the FCC's Emergency Alert System. I am a
hobbyist trying to set up a system to listen for EAS broadcasts in my
area, but although I've read over the documentation on the matter
(11.31, 47CFR)*, I can't figure out what the frequency to listen on
should be. Can anyone offer any guidance on the subject?

Section 11.11 The Emergency Alert System (EAS).

(a) The EAS is composed of broadcast networks; cable networks and
program suppliers; AM, FM and TV broadcast stations; Low Power TV
(LPTV) stations; cable systems; wireless cable systems which may
consist of Multipoint Distribution Service (MDS), Multichannel
Multipoint Distribution Service (MMDS), or Instructional Television
Fixed Service (ITFS) stations; and other entities and industries
operating on an organized basis during emergencies at the National,
State and local levels.

--
"Kerry arrived [in Viet Nam] with a strong anti-Vietnam War bias and a self-
serving determination to build a foundation for his political future."
-- Rear Admiral Roy Hoffmann, USN (Ret.), May 4, 2004

Old August 22nd 04, 05:55 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Rob wrote:
I'm writing in regards to the FCC's Emergency Alert System. I am a
hobbyist trying to set up a system to listen for EAS broadcasts in my
area, but although I've read over the documentation on the matter
(11.31, 47CFR)*, I can't figure out what the frequency to listen on
should be. Can anyone offer any guidance on the subject?

All broadcast stations are required to originate a Required Weekly Test
(RWT). They are also required to relay a Required Monthly Test (RMT)
that originates elsewhere. Many stations voluntarily air other alerts
(usually weather-related) but are not required to do so.

Your local NOAA weather radio (162.4-162.55MHz) also carries these, as
well as EAS broadcasts of severe weather watches and warnings.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old August 22nd 04, 05:55 PM
David L. Wilson

"Rob" wrote in message ...
I'm writing in regards to the FCC's Emergency Alert System. I am a
hobbyist trying to set up a system to listen for EAS broadcasts in my
area, but although I've read over the documentation on the matter
(11.31, 47CFR)*, I can't figure out what the frequency to listen on
should be. Can anyone offer any guidance on the subject?

Thanks,
Rob

*http://www.fcc.gov/eb/eas/47part11.pdf

It uses regular AM, FM, and TV broadcasts stations as well as NOAA weather.
There are no separate frequencies used for these--it is a "system" for
alerting the public rather than a "net" of dedicated frequencies. Two way
links or subcarriers associated with the bropadcast stations are used for
linking and there are some HF stations on the FEMA HF frequencies that have
been very rarely heard that help provide link in case wire and other links
fail. In other words, it uses already existing radio systems rather than
having its own and the local frequencies depend on the local area.

See instead
http://www.fcc.gov/eb/eas/plans.html
for your state for additional information.