Old September 10th 04, 05:45 PM
BDK

In article ,
says...
BDK wrote:

In article ers.com,
says...
I need some help choosing an antenna for my
base station police scanner.
any suggestion (pros or cons) would be appreciated

This is what you want. Will blow away about any other omni antenna
out
there. Light years ahead of a discone.

http://users.cis.net/kingpop/Scanner/Scantenna.htm

Is there any analysis of this antenna on the web that I might look at?

-Donald

It's just a heavy duty version of a Scantenna, AKA Monitenna, that RS
and I think it was Channel Master sold for years. I have two of them in
the box ready to go. The original is a flimsy antenna that works great.
They just don't hold up in the winter at all. I had a discone on my
tower until recently when the standoff broke in a storm. The
Scantenna/Monitenna in my attic was better on every freq, and it was 30
feet lower. A ground plane made with an SO-239 connector and some coat
hangers will blow a discone away. A total waste of money, unless you
want it as a back up antenna to transmit on....

BDK
Old September 10th 04, 06:07 PM
BDK

In article U060d.158329$Fg5.72937@attbi_s53, "Jeff" oldog@(nospam)
mchsi.com says...

This is what you want. Will blow away about any other omni antenna out
there. Light years ahead of a discone.

http://users.cis.net/kingpop/Scanner/Scantenna.htm

BDK

Not quite light years ahead of a discone. Last year I put up a discone
on one side of my house and a ST 2 on the other side, fed them both with
RG 6U double shielded. Had them feeding a Yaesu VR 5000 alternately.
The discone was the one that had the vertical element on top.
On 30-50 I could tell no difference between the 2. But I could use
the discone on 6 meter fm with a 1.9-1 swr. on 148-170 they appeared
to be the same. On some freqs the ST 2 was a tad, and I mean a tad
better. ON other signals in VHF (i.e.144mhz ssb amateur) the discone
picked up distant ssb chatter while the ST 2 picked up nothing. On the
discone I can use on 2 mtr. fm with almost a flat swr. On 440-470 they
apeared to be the same for all intent. Although I can use the discone on
440 fm with a 1.5-1 or so swr. On the 470-512 area there is nothing to
listen to around here so thats a wash. But on 800-912mhz the discone
worked quite well and is somewhat resonant there, while the ST 2
seemed to be about deaf in this area. If you live in an area that gets
freezing rain and wind, even the new improved ST 2 will not last. Its
too fragile. I have never had a discone come down. After my tests I took
down the ST 2 and sold it, and still have up the discone. There is no
substitute for being resonant at various points on a freq plot. The ST 2
basically fakes the radio as far as impededance with the 300 ohm
transformer. It hardly blows the discone out of the water, like I hear so
often. Advertising hype.

Jeff

I havent seen the heavier duty one in person, so I can't say for sure
how strong it is, but a discone really truly blows as an antenna. A
ringo ranger 2 works pretty well, better than any of the discones I have
had on most freqs. I wonder if the Yaesu was hearing better on the
discone because it was desensitizing. I had one here for a while, and it
was a disaster, intermod and hash all over, and so I sold it to a friend
who lives 20 miles from any really big town. Works good out there..

Right now I have two Scantennas in the attic, along with a discone and a
home brew ground plane cut for 161 Mhz (trains), The discone is in the
"sweet spot" in the attic (it was there first), and until I bought the
first Scantenna, I thought it was ok. I even replaced the original coax
on the discone with 9913 and it was a tiny bit better on 800, but wasn't
anywhere else. I have the discone connected to my BC9000, as it's better
on that antenna, since it seems most prone to losing it's cool due to a
nearby TV station's huge signal. The Pro 2005 and 2006 on the scantennas
will both easily beat the 9000 in every way but scan speed, on any
antenna.

If I had my choice as one single antenna to use, I would probably pick
the home built ground plane (I can build one that will last forever),
with the ringo a close second. The scantenna's next only due to it's
fragility. I may build a HD one myself one of these days..

As far as impedance goes, it's pretty meaingless for receivers, loss is
much more of a problem.

I need to find a climber to change the coax on my ringo, and put up
another discone as a backup to it, for 2M/440. I don't want to get
ripped off for 300 bucks like I did 10 years ago, 25 of it was for
coming over the border into my town. That 150 yards cost 4 times as much
as the ground plane I made the day before cost me!

BDK
Old September 11th 04, 12:36 AM
Jeff

"BDK" wrote in
message -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I had my choice as one single antenna to use, I would probably pick
the home built ground plane (I can build one that will last forever),
with the ringo a close second. The scantenna's next only due to it's
fragility. I may build a HD one myself one of these days..

As far as impedance goes, it's pretty meaingless for receivers, loss is
much more of a problem.

I need to find a climber to change the coax on my ringo, and put up
another discone as a backup to it, for 2M/440. I don't want to get
ripped off for 300 bucks like I did 10 years ago, 25 of it was for
coming over the border into my town. That 150 yards cost 4 times as much
as the ground plane I made the day before cost me!

I suggest you go back and study some rf transmission basics.
Impedance is important on recieve if you want to get maximum signal
transfer. In an impedance matched circuit you will get maximum
flow of rf, than in a non resonant circuit. This applies to recieve as
well as transmit. Why do you think they use that little 1.95$ 300ohm
to 50ohm transformer on the scantenna? It isnt there for looks. And no
my VR 5k wasnt suffering from intermod or overload, had an AM
filter, an FM filter, and a paging freq. filter on it and it works quite
well. If you build your own ground plane, I bet you will make the
elements to come out to 1/4 wave on the freq. you want it to work
best on wont you? Why? because a 1/4 wave is a 52 ohm load at
the resonant frequency. Thats what a discone does, it happens to be
a 1/4 wave on a lot of different frequencies, thats why you can xmit
on it. Scantennas work, just not well enough for me to have one up
and with the 1st freezing rain and wind that comes along it ends up
bent up like a pretzel. The only band where it outperformed the discone
was in the 152-155 band where the LEO's use in different counties.

Jeff

Old September 11th 04, 01:37 AM
BDK

In article kUq0d.22548$D%.9053@attbi_s51, "Jeff" oldog@(nospam)
mchsi.com says...

"BDK" wrote in
message -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[...]

LOL, whatever you say...calm down.

If I had to throw all those filters on the Yaesu, I would have just
bought an ICOM R8500 in the first place and it would have made life
easier, or kept my 7100, since I didn't need another SW receiver.

You do realize that a scanner doesn't want 50/52 ohms at most of it's
freq coverage, dont you? It's kind of hit and miss at best. I know what
the transformer is for. I'm just posting that in my almost 40 years of
VHF and up monitoring, the scantenna, fragile as it was/is (I don't have
a HD version to check out)is vastly, not just a little bit superior to a
discone.

Let them buy discones if they want!! I don't own Channel Master, or
whoever makes it these days...

BDK
Old September 11th 04, 04:04 AM
Donald K

BDK wrote:

A ground plane made with an SO-239 connector and some coat
hangers will blow a discone away. A total waste of money, unless you
want it as a back up antenna to transmit on....

I guess I've have different experiences than you.

Is it possible that there is a strong signal source close to you that
was desensing your receiver when using the discone and you've created a
"high pass" filter with your tuned 1/4 wave?

-D
--
"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,
see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable

Old September 11th 04, 03:46 PM
DougSlug

"BDK" wrote in message
A ground plane made with an SO-239 connector and some coat
hangers will blow a discone away. A total waste of money, unless you
want it as a back up antenna to transmit on....

BDK

A ground plane antenna, though, will limit the useful range of frequencies,
won't it? I agree that it could outperform a discone at (and around) its
resonant frequency, but for wideband scanning purposes, how could it
outperform an antenna better optimized for wideband use like a discone?
Like Donald K, I have had very good experiences with a discone. It even
worked well for HF listening with compact wideband receivers that overload
easily with wire antennas.

On the other hand, if one needs a band-specific antenna, a ground plane
would be easier and certainly cheaper.

Old September 15th 04, 10:19 AM
Matt

"Donald K" wrote in message
Mac Tabak wrote:

I know a few have suggested discones....but they are really for
horizontalradiation, you need vertical polarisation for police.
Try a 1/2 wave dipole, easy to make.

Um, discone *is* vertical.

Page 7-29 ARRL Antenna Book, 20th Ed.
--
"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem,
see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable
words." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Yep, I sense a little bit of confusion entering the eqation here. The
Discone is vertically polarised, whereas typically a dipole is horizontally
polarised - particularly on the lower frequencies. For example on 80m (3.5
MHz), a dipole would typically be around 20 metres in length, which is not
the easiest antenna to string upright, so most poeple will put them up
horizontally. On the VHF and UHF bands, a dipole can be setup for either
vertical or horizontal polarisation and as stated a couple of postings
above, they are pretty easy to construct.

Matt