Old September 6th 04, 06:31 PM
RangerScott

Default How do I track/locate/identify the interference of my 802.11b network.

I need help, and I can't find anyone smart enough to help me. I have
a 802.11b network where I live and I feel like I'm under attack. My
WiFi cards and my bridges see no other networks, my router reports no
attack or other anomalies. According to my Linksys WET11 bridge I
have a 65-78% signal strength (intermittent) with no Link Quality. My
instincts say it is some kind of interference, but I have no clue on
tracking/locating/identifying it.

Any ideas??? I'm desperate.

Thanks in advance,
Scott
Old September 6th 04, 06:44 PM
mike

dect phones are the normal culprits.
they have a somewhat greater range and higher power.
as do video senders.

however i think you may be just a little premature here.
try changing channel away from 6 or 11
there might be other networks that are not SSID'ing but i would not expect
every channel to have multiple signals.

what kind of range are we looking at here as to the failure you are getting.

mike

"RangerScott" wrote in message
om...
I need help, and I can't find anyone smart enough to help me. I have
a 802.11b network where I live and I feel like I'm under attack. My
WiFi cards and my bridges see no other networks, my router reports no
attack or other anomalies. According to my Linksys WET11 bridge I
have a 65-78% signal strength (intermittent) with no Link Quality. My
instincts say it is some kind of interference, but I have no clue on
tracking/locating/identifying it.

Any ideas??? I'm desperate.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

---

Old September 6th 04, 06:49 PM
Bill Crocker

Newer cordless phones, cellular phones, wireless video transmitters, and
microwave ovens, can all cause interference in the 2.4GHz spectrum.

You might also post in: alt.internet.wireless, and
microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless

Bill Crocker

Old September 7th 04, 06:24 AM
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

"RangerScott" wrote in message
om...
I need help, and I can't find anyone smart enough to help me. I have
a 802.11b network where I live and I feel like I'm under attack. My
WiFi cards and my bridges see no other networks, my router reports no
attack or other anomalies. According to my Linksys WET11 bridge I
have a 65-78% signal strength (intermittent) with no Link Quality. My
instincts say it is some kind of interference, but I have no clue on
tracking/locating/identifying it.

Any ideas??? I'm desperate.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Leaky microwave ovens will do that a LOT. Doesnt take much of a leak from a
700-1000 Watt cavity power osc to swap the router or bridge. They sit at
2.450Ghz...give or take 100MHZ! They move around with voltage and most of
all temperature variations...good luck in the hunt.