Old October 8th 04, 11:55 PM
Troy R.

Default Most sensitive base scanner/receiver

Hi all,
Was wondering if anybody had any ideas regarding what is the most
sensitive base receiver/scanner around. I am talking about VHF and UHF
sensitivity (airband in particular) and am not interested in HF.

Thanks

--
Regards
Troy Rowland

Old October 9th 04, 02:44 AM
Mike Alpha

"Troy R." wrote in message
u...
Hi all,
Was wondering if anybody had any ideas regarding what is the most
sensitive base receiver/scanner around. I am talking about VHF and UHF
sensitivity (airband in particular) and am not interested in HF.

The AR8600 MKII is the most sensitive base scanner I have ever owned,
especially on the airband.
http://www.aoruk.com/ar8600.htm

Mike

Old October 9th 04, 10:01 AM
big boy now

this all depends on how much your willing to spend.
i use an AOR AR5000A+3 i have owned many scanners and this is by far in my
opinion the best there is..this model is currently in use by many government
and military establishments around the world..
if its good for government and military it got to be good...

"Mike Alpha" wrote in message
. ..

Old October 9th 04, 10:41 AM
Martin

"big boy now" wrote in message
. uk...
this all depends on how much your willing to spend.
i use an AOR AR5000A+3 i have owned many scanners and this is by far in my
opinion the best there is..this model is currently in use by many
government and military establishments around the world..
if its good for government and military it got to be good...

There's a very easy way to answer the OP's question - find the scanners of
interest and compare the sensitivity ratings of each - these are usually
clearly indicated in the technical specifications of the scanners and are
not subject to personal interpretations...

Then all you need to do is make sure you have a decent antenna setup
otherwise all the sensitivity in the world isn't going to do you any good!
Oh, you may also like to compare the selectivity figures as well - the
ability to reject other nearby signals. Not much use having an extremely
sensitive scanner if it hears every signal within 500kHz of the desired
frequency!!!

Just my twenty two cents (incl. GST) worth....

"Mike Alpha" wrote in message
. ..

Old October 10th 04, 02:23 AM
Bruce Markowitz

If you are not looking for digital, most people would say to find a Bearcat
780XLT. It rocks, and you can use a pre-amp to get even better

Old October 10th 04, 11:16 AM
Melv

rubbish? How can you say that? I review many scanners for my site and the
780 is my all time favourite.
M.Rattenbury
www.ukmidlandscanner.co.uk

Old October 10th 04, 08:35 PM
Jason Reilly

Hi Troy,
As for the most sensitive scanner across VHF & UHF, my answer is a Yupiteru
MVT 7100, though it is a handheld.
Let me qualify.
I don't trust sensitivity measurements - some scanners are better than spec,
others are worse. As an example, the Alinco handheld I have only lists
typical sensitivity - in many cases it is worse when tested. The 780XLT I
have is good, but not great as far as sensitivity is concerned.
I've owned quite a few scanners, and tested most of them:
Pro 2003
Pro 34
Yupiteru 5000
Icom R1
Yupiteru 7000
Yupiteru 7100
AOR 8000
Uniden 200XLT
Uniden 760XLT
Uniden 780 XLT
AOR 3000
AOR 5000
Alinco X2000
Icom 7000
and I've also made comparisons to others that fall outside the definition of
scanner, like amateur radios & commercial two way radios as well.
The Yupiteru blew them all away, offering just over 0.11uV for 12dB SINAD
under test from about 30 to 600 MHz.
But, depending on your situation, the most sensitive is not necessarily
going to be the best. You need a balance of sensitivity, interference
rejection, audio quality and maybe features and ease of use if you are
worried about those points.
By far, the best base station I have in this group is the AOR 5000. It is
quite sensitive, and suffers NO interference unless you are really close to
another transmitting station.
All other base stations in my list above suffered moderate to debilitatingly
severe blocking / intermod / etc. without the use of a FM trap (filter to
reduce the 88-108 FM broadcast band) - AOR 3000 included. The test
conditons a
outdoor antenna, Tandy Discone, elevated to 10 metres above ground with very
high quality cable, and within 10km, I have 2 x 5kW FM transmitters, and
within 40km I have 5 x 200kW FM transmitters, both line of sight. Other
radio activity is quite low, with the exception of a few 148 MHz pagers.
On a budget, though, a PRO 2006 has a good reputation.
Something a bit more upmarket, I suggest AOR 3000.
And if you want to go all out, AOR 5000.
Me, fanatic? Never....
Ta - Jason

--
To reply directly from this news group message,
please remove the STOP and JUNK and change

Old October 10th 04, 09:12 PM
Mike GW8IJT

"Bruce Markowitz" wrote in message
If you are not looking for digital, most people would say to find a

Bearcat
780XLT. It rocks, and you can use a pre-amp to get even better

Really, I've got a UBC780XLT and I'm not over impressed by it's
sensitivity and it's poor on AM.
It's certainly a bit deaf compared with my Yupi MVT-7100 handheld.
Regards Mike.

--
They're coming to take me away ha-haaa
All those nice young men in their clean white coats

---

Old October 12th 04, 12:08 AM
Cliff Hanger

Yet to beat my Icom R8500, and i have had many, still have a couple ,AOR8000
for mobile use and PCR1000 as second base staion, as in most things you get
what you pay for, but in saying that it's no good having the best scanner if
you have a crap antenna hooked up to it.

Lightning Strike & Concrete Base Explosion Jason Dugas Antenna 10 March 4th 04 08:54 PM
FA: TRC-458 Base CB Andy Cogswell CB 16 March 3rd 04 04:38 AM
Comprehensive list of tube base types? Simon Boatanchors 5 January 28th 04 01:01 PM
"Remote Base" operation with the Kenwood TH-F6A (was: "Remote Base" operation with Icom IC-2720H) [email protected] Equipment 10 September 10th 03 03:56 AM
"Remote Base" operation with the Kenwood TH-F6A (was: "Remote Base" operation with Icom IC-2720H) [email protected] Equipment 0 September 9th 03 02:56 PM