Old October 16th 04, 10:32 PM
Brent

Default Antenna?

What is a good outdoor antenna to use for a Uniden BC796D?

Old October 16th 04, 11:32 PM
Volker Tonn

Brent wrote:
What is a good outdoor antenna to use for a Uniden BC796D?

LPDA mounted on a 200ft mast with a rotator feeding into AirCommplus
cable or better with a lownoise preamp sitting at the feeding point.

Old October 17th 04, 05:12 PM
BrightStar

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 00:32:22 +0200, Volker Tonn
wrote:

Brent wrote:
What is a good outdoor antenna to use for a Uniden BC796D?

LPDA mounted on a 200ft mast with a rotator feeding into AirCommplus
cable or better with a lownoise preamp sitting at the feeding point.

Can I have YOUR budget. Open for adoption ????

Old October 17th 04, 06:41 PM
Lou

news
wrote:

Brent wrote:
What is a good outdoor antenna to use for a Uniden BC796D?

LPDA mounted on a 200ft mast with a rotator feeding into AirCommplus
cable or better with a lownoise preamp sitting at the feeding point.

Can I have YOUR budget. Open for adoption ????

A 200' "mast"?.... Be it a mast or tower, in most cases - you would have to
have to now apply for a permit to install it - from your city/borough
government, as most codes now days don't allow for those things. I doubt
they would allow a mast. As for a "tower", assuming you get the permit from
the local government, then you have to see if it will need registered with
the FCC. There again, paperwork. Then there is the cost of the 200' tower.
Not a cheap investment. And all this for a "SCANNER"? I don't think so. Out
of most people's reach and over kill.

Lou

Old October 17th 04, 07:37 PM
DougSlug

I think the LPDA response was to illustrate the point that in the absence of
any real-world contraints or requirements, one might provide an idealized
solution. It correctly answers the question, but might not apply to the
OP's situation. Perhaps Brent can provide a few additional requirements,
such as cost, mounting limitations, bands of interest, etc.?

erio.net...

Old October 17th 04, 08:27 PM
Lou

Even with the LPDA, a 200' mast? OR Tower as the case may be? How many
scanner owners do you know who go to that extreme? Hell, many commercial and
public safety agencies don't even go that far. That was WAY out of touch for
this group. We're talking scanner enthusiasts, not professional or
commercial interests. Hell, most people want just a scanner and that makes
them happy. Some need an outdoor antenna to pick up as maybe the indoor
doesn't do so hot. But to suggest this sort of thing..... I don't know.
There are preamps out there, which can do the trick, for sure. That would
help, with a good coax - and antenna IF someone can budget it without
getting carried away. As I said, then you have permits and registration to
be considered. FAR too much for a scanner enthusiast to want to get involved
with. At that stage, I'd have to think they would need psychiatric help.
That is pure ludicrous. You tell some people this stuff, in need to go with
their scanner, they're liable to say SCREW IT, I don't need to know that
bad.

Lou

"DougSlug" wrote in message
. net...
I think the LPDA response was to illustrate the point that in the absence
of any real-world contraints or requirements, one might provide an
idealized solution. It correctly answers the question, but might not apply
to the OP's situation. Perhaps Brent can provide a few additional
requirements, such as cost, mounting limitations, bands of interest, etc.?

erio.net...

Old October 18th 04, 04:43 PM
Jason G.

Lou, were you issued a sense of humor at any poimt in your life?
Last I knew none of us are getting paid to be productive here unless someone
has a BIG budget for big towers, big antennas, etc. =]

Jason

"Lou" wrote in message
rio.net...
[...]

"DougSlug" wrote in message
. net...
I think the LPDA response was to illustrate the point that in the absence
of any real-world contraints or requirements, one might provide an
idealized solution. It correctly answers the question, but might not

apply
to the OP's situation. Perhaps Brent can provide a few additional
requirements, such as cost, mounting limitations, bands of interest,

etc.?

"Lou" wrote in message
erio.net...
"BrightStar" wrote in message
news On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 00:32:22 +0200, Volker Tonn

Old October 19th 04, 03:19 AM
Lou

Yes, I have a sense of humor, however I don't think that issue applies here.
Maybe I am wrong, but it appeared to me, that the OP was asking for
legitimate advice. I think they deserved a more sincere answer. IF they
didn't need the advice, they wouldn't have been asking.

Lou

"Jason G." wrote in message
Lou, were you issued a sense of humor at any poimt in your life?
Last I knew none of us are getting paid to be productive here unless
someone
has a BIG budget for big towers, big antennas, etc. =]

Jason

"Lou" wrote in message
rio.net...
[...]

"DougSlug" wrote in message
. net...
I think the LPDA response was to illustrate the point that in the
absence
of any real-world contraints or requirements, one might provide an
idealized solution. It correctly answers the question, but might not

apply
to the OP's situation. Perhaps Brent can provide a few additional
requirements, such as cost, mounting limitations, bands of interest,

etc.?

erio.net...

Old October 19th 04, 09:30 PM
Lou

"kryppy" wrote in message

wrote:

Brent wrote:
What is a good outdoor antenna to use for a Uniden BC796D?

LPDA mounted on a 200ft mast with a rotator feeding into AirCommplus
cable or better with a lownoise preamp sitting at the feeding point.

Can I have YOUR budget. Open for adoption ????

A 200' "mast"?.... Be it a mast or tower, in most cases - you would have
have to now apply for a permit to install it - from your city/borough
government, as most codes now days don't allow for those things. I doubt
they would allow a mast. As for a "tower", assuming you get the permit
from
the local government, then you have to see if it will need registered with
the FCC. There again, paperwork. Then there is the cost of the 200' tower.
Not a cheap investment. And all this for a "SCANNER"? I don't think so.
Out
of most people's reach and over kill.

He asked for the best. I would go with 300' to be safe for future
expansion.

All I can say is, I hope you don't live in Florida. No guarantee how long it
will stand! Not this year, anyway.

Lou

Old October 24th 04, 11:46 PM
Al Klein

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:50:57 -0400, kryppy said in
rec.radio.scanner:

He asked for the best. I would go with 300' to be safe for future
expansion.

I'd mount the antenna on a satellite just to be sure. Sort of like a
23,000 foot tower without the tower.