Old October 29th 04, 01:45 PM
Troy R.

Default Nevada Scanmaster Airmaster antenna

I am after a good V/UHF airband antenna and found this on a Google search.
Anybody actually own one and can tell me how they perform?

http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/acatalo...airmaster.html

--
Regards
Troy Rowland

Old October 29th 04, 02:39 PM
Rob

Troy R. wrote:
|| I am after a good V/UHF airband antenna and found this on a Google
|| search. Anybody actually own one and can tell me how they perform?
|| http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/acatalo...airmaster.html
|| --
|| Regards
|| Troy Rowland

I dont personally, but know someone who does, and loves it, uses it to
listen to the shipping etc clear pickup, mind you, he does live V close to
the port lol

--

http://www.stb-clan.com

Simply the best

Old October 29th 04, 11:43 PM
Marco

Troy
Try a decent ham dual band antenna, cheaper and a lot better.
Marco

"Troy R." wrote in message
u...
I am after a good V/UHF airband antenna and found this on a Google search. Anybody actually own one
and can tell me how they perform?

http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/acatalo...airmaster.html

--
Regards
Troy Rowland

---

Old October 30th 04, 01:49 AM
Al Klein

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:45:21 +1000, "Troy R."
said in alt.radio.scanner:

I am after a good V/UHF airband antenna and found this on a Google search.
Anybody actually own one and can tell me how they perform?

http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/acatalo...airmaster.html

They don't seem to know much about it. Discones aren't resonant
antennas, but they do pick up signals from the design frequency to
daylight..

Old October 30th 04, 06:35 AM
Troy R.

I've gone down the dual band amateur path before and been disappointed,
hence the interest in something like this.

"Marco" wrote in message
Troy
Try a decent ham dual band antenna, cheaper and a lot better.
Marco

u...

Old October 30th 04, 10:55 AM
Volker Tonn

said in alt.radio.scanner:

I am after a good V/UHF airband antenna and found this on a Google search.
Anybody actually own one and can tell me how they perform?

http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/acatalo...airmaster.html

They don't seem to know much about it. Discones aren't resonant
antennas, but they do pick up signals from the design frequency to
daylight..

Not having read the linked page....
Discones ARE resonant on an extremly wide range.
Therefore they have nearly no gain above the (theortical) isotropic
antenna. This means they have a loss of around 1/2 S-unit against a
dipole or a half-wave vertikal antenna on a specified frequency. Not too
bad for a compromise.
The resonant range of a well designed and built discone is spread 1:10
on wich you can transmit. This is 50 to 500 Mhz or 100 to 1000Mhz for
example, covering the most wanted frequencies for scannists and is also
usable on ham-bands or FRS to transmit.
The receiving range -allowing an impedance mismatch- is much wider when
(usually) allowing a loss of 1 S-unit (-6dB). The difference you only
will notice on faint signals.
There are some other antennas too -directional and omnidirectional-,
providing a relatively wide resonant range but not nearly as wide as a
discone.

Old October 30th 04, 06:05 PM
Al Klein

said in alt.radio.scanner:

They don't seem to know much about it. Discones aren't resonant
antennas, but they do pick up signals from the design frequency to
daylight..

Not having read the linked page....
Discones ARE resonant on an extremly wide range.
Therefore they have nearly no gain above the (theortical) isotropic
antenna. This means they have a loss of around 1/2 S-unit against a
dipole or a half-wave vertikal antenna on a specified frequency. Not too
bad for a compromise.
The resonant range of a well designed and built discone is spread 1:10
on wich you can transmit. This is 50 to 500 Mhz or 100 to 1000Mhz for
example, covering the most wanted frequencies for scannists and is also
usable on ham-bands or FRS to transmit.

We're using different definitions of "resonant". The definition I use
says that an antenna can only resonate on a frequency. (Pretty much,
the frequency a dip meter will indicate when coupled to the antenna.)
It can have a bandwidth over which it can be used, but the resonant
point is (usually) one single frequency. Discones look like dipoles
with the 2 legs being different lengths, so the best one could say -
using my definition - is that they "resonate" on the frequency at
which the disc is 1/2 wavelength in diameter and the frequency at
which the cone element length is 1/4 wavelength.

But they probably are the best tradeoff for multi-band scanning.
Old October 30th 04, 07:14 PM
Dale Parfitt

Snip...
We're using different definitions of "resonant". The definition I use
says that an antenna can only resonate on a frequency. (Pretty much,
the frequency a dip meter will indicate when coupled to the antenna.)
It can have a bandwidth over which it can be used, but the resonant
point is (usually) one single frequency. Discones look like dipoles
with the 2 legs being different lengths, so the best one could say -
using my definition - is that they "resonate" on the frequency at
which the disc is 1/2 wavelength in diameter and the frequency at
which the cone element length is 1/4 wavelength.

But they probably are the best tradeoff for multi-band scanning.

Let's use an accepted engineering definition- resonance is defined when the
input Z has zero reactance- a properly designed discone (disc and cone- not
a skeletal version) is virtually reactance free over a very wide band.
Discones may look like dipoles- although you really have to be imaginitive,
is a derivative of the bicone antenna (replace the disk with another cone).
With proper included cone angle and proper machining of the junction (this
limits hi end performance) it is a wonderfully broadbanded antenna.

Dale W4OP

Old October 30th 04, 09:33 PM
Volker Tonn

said in alt.radio.scanner:

[...]

To say so, a discone has it's "middle frequency". But impedance curve
stays constantly over a very wide range around. So in theoretics you can
get a frequency modulated signal with center frequency of let's say
500Mhz and a bandwidth of 800Mhz through a discone with a straight power
curve wich has no loss by mismatching of the antennea.
I don't know of any TRX providing such a signal :-)

As I understand the principle of a discone the disc is a load plate wich
spreads the bandwidth in conjunction wich the conical "antenna wire". So
the "resonant" wavelength is more related to the length of the cone
measured from the the top plate in 90 degree angle to the bottom.
You may correct me if I'm wrong :-)
Have a nice weekend.