Old October 31st 04, 07:37 PM

Default Need suggestions for a small indash police scanner.....

i used to be in the scanning hobby a few years ago. Not REALLY into
the hobby seriously, but I did own a Uniden sc150 sportcat (handheld)
and a bearcat bct7 beartracker mobile scanner ( I still own the
sportcat but it needs a new battery).... I didnt like the bct7 as it
had some quirks (like a limited amount of frequencies you could block
out). The only thing I liked about the bct7 was its size & lighted
display. I didnt like listening to police freqs much, but the rest I
did enjoy (my favorite activity was listening to radio Djs oh location
in their mobile vans talking when they were off the air).
Anyway.... I was wondering if anyone could recommend a small
(preferrably the size of a CB or a car stereo deck) 100-300 channel
scanner that I could mount in my jeep that has a lighted display.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old October 31st 04, 08:17 PM
DougSlug

You might consider a dual-band ham transceiver. They often have extended
receive ranges, either out of the box or with a simple mod. Just disconnect
the microphone and don't keep it in the car if you don't have a ham license.
There are a lot of models available, both new and used. I would NOT
recommend a Kenwood TM-G707A, however, because it scans very slowly. You
didn't mention a price range, but I'm sure you could find something suitable
in the $200 to $400 range.

om...

Old November 1st 04, 04:53 AM
Jim Hackett

Look at the new BCT-8. I just picked one up and put it in the dash of my Z
..
250 channels, All state highway patrol pre-programmed, Trunktracking III.

om...

Old November 1st 04, 05:13 PM
Beloved Leader

"Bruce Markowitz" wrote in message ...

You can pick up a Radio Shack PRO-67 on Ebay. It supposedly can be dash
mounted

ITYM PRO-2067, the replacment for the PRO-2066. The PRO-67 is without
a doubt a handheld, as I've got one sitting right next to me. The
PRO-2066 is a mobile scanner.

Shrug. It happens. Don't worry about it.

Scanner Suggestions? Radio Man Scanner 4 November 12th 04 01:32 AM
On Line Scanner Police Amsterdam MXStreamPlanet Scanner 2 March 15th 04 12:28 AM
a page of motorola 2way 2 way portable and mobile radio history john private smith Policy 0 December 22nd 03 02:42 AM
FA: Vintage Regency Crystal Controlled Police Scanner Model # ACT-R-106 snooper Scanner 0 October 24th 03 03:40 AM