Old November 29th 04, 07:25 PM
Chris Cummins

Default AOR SA7000 Antenna

I've been looking for a good wideband antenna for my Icom R75 and Uniden
BC796D. I live in an appartment on the 3rd floor, the antenna would be
mounted on the patio railing. The AOR SA7000 seems to be the best bet for my
situation. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with this
antenna before i lay down $200 for it.

Thanks
Chris Cummins

Old November 29th 04, 07:48 PM
dxAce

Chris Cummins wrote:

I've been looking for a good wideband antenna for my Icom R75 and Uniden
BC796D. I live in an appartment on the 3rd floor, the antenna would be
mounted on the patio railing. The AOR SA7000 seems to be the best bet for my
situation. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with this
antenna before i lay down $200 for it.

I suppose it will 'work' for HF, however it is only 6' long. Therefore, it will
not 'work' very well for HF.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old November 30th 04, 12:58 AM
DougSlug

I compared a Yaesu FT-840 with a 70' outdoor random wire against my AOR
AR8600MkII with the SA7000 mounted 25' above ground outside. In a side-by
side comparison, the 8600/SA7000 system picked up just as much on HF as the
FT-840/wire system, and did very well in the AM broadcast band, too. The
FT-840 had better selectivity, but the signal strength between the two was
comparable. Since I, too, was looking for a single antenna solution, I took
down the wire and rely solely on the SA7000 for all MF/HF/VHF/UHF work with
my AR8600. I would expect your R75 to work even better on HF, since the
AR8600 isn't the best HF receiver around.

For HF work, you might also consider a tabletop active loop like the LA350
in an apartment situation. Probably more effective than the SA7000 on HF,
and you don't even have to mount it outside. OTOH, if you need to cover
VHF/UHF with the same antenna, obviously the loop wouldn't be a good choice.
I think the SA7000 is a good compromise if you have a very sensitive
receiver, but realize it will not give you outstanding HF performance. Your
results may vary.

- Doug

P.S. If you get the SA7000, don't try to use a standard UHF connector on
it...although it looks the same, the threads are slightly different. You
have to use the supplied cable assembly (unless you can find a connector
with the correct thread).

Old November 30th 04, 12:05 PM
DougSlug

Probably no better than any other wideband antenna, and probably not quite
as well as an optimized VHF/UHF scanner antenna like the Scantenna or a
discone. Remember, we're talking about a passive antenna that's supposed to
cover 30 kHz to 2 GHz with only two vertical elements and no radials.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do any side-by-side comparisons with my
discone due to the mounting/cabling limitations of my setup.

"Troy R." wrote in message
news
How does the SA7000 perform on VHF/UHF?