Old January 1st 05, 01:51 AM
Al Arduengo

Max Burke wrote:

Al Arduengo wrote:

Max Burke wrote:

Fair enough. I should keep my comments to myself.

Unverifiable, unprovable comments sure....

Except that I dare you to find more than one linux user for every 100
windows users who have had a virus or other malware infect their computer.

But since we are
on the subject, I have used Linux for nine years and never ONCE been
affected by a virus or suffered an attack from an uninvited user.

Twelve plus years for me with Windows (various versions) for with the same
result. Your point is?

You are an exception to the rule and you know this.

I do not have adware on my computer,

Neither do I. Your point is?

Again...

nor do I have to reboot every time
I install a piece of software.

Neither do I. Not that rebooting is problem for me when installing
software. Why is rebooting a problem for you running Linux?

You should not have to reboot the computer to install software. That is
just silly.

I literally can do anything on my
Linux laptop that I could do running Windows

I can literally do ANYTHING on my Windows systems using 5 FREE versions of
Linux on bootable CD's that I do in Windows. Your point is?

- I know, I tried going
back to Windows a couple of times recently on my laptop just to
maintain compatibility with work.

IOW the work you need to do cant be done in Linux because Linux is
incompatiable with the work you need to do.....

No, TI uses Windows almost exclusively and I merely wanted to try and keep
it simple with respect to MS Office related stuff as well as Exchange use.
I tried Windows and although I was like everyone else, I was unhappy. I
still do all the work I need or want to do on my linux laptop.

A week later I went back to Linux.
It costs less because I don't have to pay for nagware that is useful
and it runs faster and cleaner by far.

Yet again another unverifiable, unprovable comment....

Not at all. Windows runs slower as adware builds up. This is not fiction.
Windows in my experience must be rebooted regularly about every few days.
I routinely go 90-120 days in Linux without rebooting. And then only to
give my machine some off time.

Linux is inherently safer than Windows. Much safer.

FYI...
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/index.html

From the daily Secunia security e-letter I get:

UNIX/Linux:
[SA13692] Mandrake update for koffice
[SA13691] Mandrake update for kdegraphics
[SA13689] Mandrake update for gpdf
[SA13686] Mandrake update for tetex
[SA13685] Mandrake update for xpdf
[SA13667] Debian update for imlib
[SA13666] Debian update for tiff
[SA13663] Debian update for netkit-telnet-ssl
[SA13656] SSLtelnet Unspecified Format String Vulnerability
[SA13646] Fedora update for xpdf
[SA13690] Mandrake update for cups
[SA13683] Gentoo update for ViewCVS
[SA13669] Fedora update for cups
[SA13668] CUPS xpdf "doImage()" Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
[SA13664] Snort TCP/IP Options Denial of Service Vulnerability
[SA13658] Red Hat update for SquirrelMail
[SA13672] Gentoo update for cups
[SA13662] Mandrake update for samba
[SA13653] Netscape Directory Server for HP-UX Buffer Overflow
[Vulnerability SA13696] KDE kio_ftp FTP Command Injection Vulnerability
[SA13688] Mandrake update for kdelibs
[SA13651] HP Secure Web Server Denial of Service Vulnerability
[SA13648] HP Tru64 TCP Connection Reset Denial of Service
[SA13659] Red Hat update for kernel
[SA13684] Mandrake update for glibc
[SA13682] Conectiva update for netpbm
[SA13679] aStats Insecure Temporary File Creation
[SA13670] Atari800 Unspecified Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
[SA13655] HP-UX SAM Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
[SA13654] Linux Kernel SACF Instruction Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
[SA13650] Linux Security Modules Running Processes Capability Security
[Issue

What I see here is a list of distributions made for Windows users. They
have little if anything to do with the kernel. Get a good distribution and
it does not appear on this list.

It's like this *EVERYDAY* for unix/linux in this e-letter...

Not totally
immune but effectively so in my opinion and experience.

Yet another unverfiable, unprovable comment.

And I said it was my "opinion". I don't have to prove it or verify it. But
if you need proof, just talk to some linux system admins and those in
companies which use Linux.

To repeat:
The only thing worse than the millions of Windows user that are unaware of
the need to protect their computers from attack on the internet, are the
millions of Linux users that believe they're imune from attack on the
internet because they're running Linux.....

Real World OS choice for everyone:
Five free versions of Linux on bootable CD Roms that work [nearly]
perfectly on my computers and I still choose Windows as my 'production'
OS....

--
~/.signature
Old January 1st 05, 03:23 PM
Lord Floyd

"Cyber-Hun" wrote in news:S6zBd.664690$%k.358861
@pd7tw2no:

Um, why do you think that is absurd?

Because this is a group for discussion of radio scanners. Computer
O/S and other religious discussions belong elsewhere

--
You are a fluke of the Universe
You have no right to be here
Old January 1st 05, 03:32 PM
Al Arduengo

Lord Floyd wrote:

"Cyber-Hun" wrote in news:S6zBd.664690$%k.358861
@pd7tw2no:

Um, why do you think that is absurd?

Because this is a group for discussion of radio scanners. Computer
O/S and other religious discussions belong elsewhere

You are correct. I digress.

-Al
--
~/.signature
Old January 3rd 05, 07:50 PM
Evan Platt

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:15:39 GMT, Al Arduengo
wrote:

Not if you use linux.:-)

Or a PC browser other than IE. grin