Old January 11th 05, 02:21 AM
Bill

Default Number one Scanner on the market?

who makes the most popular handheld scanning radio today?

Thanks,
Bill

Old January 11th 05, 04:52 AM
Bill Crocker

Popular, may not necessarily be the best...or what's right for you. Which
do you want to know?

Bill Crocker

Old January 11th 05, 04:54 AM
Bill

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:52:00 -0500, "Bill Crocker"
wrote:

Popular, may not necessarily be the best...or what's right for you. Which
do you want to know?

Bill Crocker

I want to listen in on the Cops around town...I know they use that
"Dual Trunking" type system in my city...

which one should I use?

Thanks,
Bill

.. .

Old January 11th 05, 04:58 AM
Bill Crocker

If it's not digital, then I'd say the Radio Shack (GRE Mfg), PRO-95, which
is on sale right now, for $149.99.

Bill Crocker

wrote:

Popular, may not necessarily be the best...or what's right for you. Which
do you want to know?

Bill Crocker

I want to listen in on the Cops around town...I know they use that
"Dual Trunking" type system in my city...

which one should I use?

Thanks,
Bill

. ..

Old January 11th 05, 06:34 AM
Paul Keenleyside

"Bill Crocker" wrote in message
If it's not digital, then I'd say the Radio Shack (GRE Mfg), PRO-95, which
is on sale right now, for $149.99.

Bill Crocker

I'd agree. It's what the Uniden BC245XLT should have been in the first
place.

Bought one and the sensitivity on this is amazing (wish my BC780XLT had this
sensitivity). Sound is clear and crisp, and
I've picked up activity from 30 miles away even having this inside. A bit
bulky (about the size of a handi-talkie), but otherwise
an excellent radio.

Will handle analog trunked systems. A bit getting used to in the
programming.

But well worth the money.

Old January 13th 05, 03:03 AM
SkyPilot

Bill pounded on the keyboard and wrote:

who makes the most popular handheld scanning radio today?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

I have a RS Pro-96, which I just picked up last Dec. This is my 4th scanner
over a 17 year period. I sold my Uniden BC-245XLT to help defray the cost
to get the Pro-96. The BC-245 was a great scanner, but a local county that
borders my city is going digital later this year. I wanted to be able to
monitor them, but did not want to fork out the nearly $650 for the Uniden
BC250D.

After reading lots of reviews on the Pro-96, I got one last Dec. The Pro-96
is by far the best scanner I have every used. It has great sensitivity and
the audio is awesome.

I also picked up the Radio Shack 800mhz antenna - cat # 20-283. I am able
to pick up Virginia Beach's trunking system from over 35 miles away. Was
never able to do that with the BC-245.

The Pro-96 also used AA batteries, so you can use rechargeables. You can
also program the scanner with Win96 software.

Good Luck

Brian
Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares wins"
Lt./Paramedic | Fire Communications Officer | Hampton, VA.
B.S. Comm/I/SEL Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
Check out my home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
Some of my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/34185.html
"Life's too short to drink LITE beer!"