Old February 15th 05, 08:58 PM
Alex Clayton

Default Uniden BC296D handling caution

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks but hardly unexpected -- the problem is we forget that they're
ALL asian trash.

For instance, I bought a brand new AOR MK3 and treat it with kit
gloves, and still, I had to send the damned thing in for factory repair
less than 3 weeks into ownership, because I changed the batteries.

That's correct ... I didn't drop it or mishandle it in any way ... I
simply took the old batteries out of the compartment and put new
batteries in, and this marvel of technology ceased to function without
external power.

Of course, I had to foot the Fedex bill too, and the radio works fine,
but now I break-out into a cold sweat every time I change the
batteries.

Yup, that's what we get for buying today's best!

LOL, your talking about something that is mass manufactured. They make how
many hundreds of thousands of these? How many get used and abused for years,
and end up at garage sales or Ebay years later still working? With ANY mass
manufactured item there is going to be a few bad ones get out. That's the
way it is in the real world. Of course when you get a bad one that does not
make you feel any better about the 1000's of them who never have problems.
If they hand made stuff like scanners, or PC's or anything else that is so
damn cheap these days, you could of course get reliability up a little, but
if the price was 20 times what they are now how many do you think they would
sell?
This is why I NEVER buy "Factory serviced" anything. I have had a few
friends who did this all the time. There are several catalogs that seem to
specialize in the "stuff" that ends up back at the factory for service and
is then sold. I have never seen anyone who bought a lot of this stuff who
did not regularly get a LOT of problems.
I have a RS Pro 79 that was used and carried so many years you can't even
read the #'s on the pad any more. It was used in the rain, has been dropped
a few times, yet still works fine. The Police here went completely 800
trunked now so it has been relegated to the "junk drawer". The Pro-95 that
replaced it gets the same use, I "try" to take care of it, but it gets used
on 12 hour shifts. If it ever dies, I will toss it and buy another.
I have always found that if something is "defective" it's going to show up
right away. Years ago the first MP3 player I bought stopped working right
after I bought it. I just went back to Wally world, bought another one, it
worked fine, I put the other one back in the package, took it back, told
them "this does not work, I already bought another", they refunded my money.
Now that one, which is "cheap Asian junk" is working fine a couple years
later. Works so well the wife and both kids got the same one and love them.
You get a bad, you just have to get over it. Now if you bought it off Ebay
or such you may have a lot of hassle. That's the chance you take buying from
some place like that.
--
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

BC296D handling caution bear Scanner 0 February 14th 05 09:31 PM
FS: Uniden BC296D Scanner and Antennas Doug Matulis Equipment 0 September 23rd 04 04:24 AM
FS: Uniden BC296D Scanner and Antennas Doug Matulis Swap 0 September 23rd 04 04:22 AM
FA: FA: Brand new Uniden BC296D and BC795D Radioman Swap 0 February 28th 04 10:06 PM
Are there better handheld scanners than the Uniden BC296D hnmm Scanner 1 January 7th 04 03:36 PM