Old April 20th 05, 03:25 AM
Tony Kobylski

Default Weather Satellites

I would like to try to pick up the NOAA sattelites. I have an Icom
PCR1000 and a variety of software. I need to know things like bandwidth
required, LPM, Mode, and all the other stuff. I know I can get it
easier on the net but where is the challange in that. Thanks for the help.
Tony

Old April 20th 05, 12:24 PM

50KHz BW works great.
I use Christian Bock's WXSatillite with a simple
horizontal dipole. A QDH with a premp
would work much better.

Terry

Old April 22nd 05, 02:12 AM
Sanchez

I'm using a Diamond discone antenna (with max 10meter quality cable, such as
aircell) but an antenna more specific for APT reception would be much
better.
You could make one yourself to save some money, there's a lot of good info
on the net.
If you want to use both antennas, don't use an antenna splitter, this will
reduce the signal strenght.

With the program Orbitron (to predict satellite passes, with DDE option) and
WXsat to decode the signals. I'm experimenting with WXtoIMG but I find this
more difficult to setup. You can also fine-tune the pcr with factory
software (EX-2099), but it can wreck your receiver......make sure that
you've got a backup copy of your EEPROM before experimenting (unique
settings for each receiver). It takes a signal generator, millivoltmeter and
oscilloscope to fine-tune the pcr.

An amplifier indeed increases your weak signals, but it also increases the
noise in strong signals. Noaa signals are strong enough to recieve them
without one.
The optional DSP unit only has advantage in the lower frequencies.

After a lot of patience, testing and adjusting my results are very good,
sometimes I've got a very good signal, starting at a 10 degree angle.

Sanchez.

Old April 22nd 05, 02:16 AM
Russell & Angie Hall

I use WXtoImg, works very well, a terriffic assortment of enhancements
available. I also built a crossed dipole antenna. Like already said, 50khz
bandwidth, and FM mode. I also have decent results with my discone antenna.

Russell