Old April 23rd 05, 10:18 PM
PonderosaSports.com

Default Dog Collars - FM or CW or CW narrow

This idiot needs help!

I am scanning to attempt to locate a lost dog on our ranch with a
tracking collar on it. I do not know the frequency or the dog owner.
I do know the band is 217-218 Mhz. The collars are supposed to beep
about once a second.

I am scanning from 217.000-217.999 Mhz
I am using a 4 element Yagi antenna.
I have programmed an ICOM R8500.
I am sweeping at 10 Hz.
The scan takes about a half an hour.

QUESTION

Should the mode be set for FM, CW or CW Narrow

Thanks!

http://www.PonderosaSports.com

Old April 23rd 05, 10:27 PM
mikeFNB

widest possible (wfm) would be good.

cw at a pinch.
do it in 1kHz or 5kHz steps.
you should find it.

i use hawk bugs and get a range of about 2-3miles even if it's grounded.

WFM is good for general quick 'band spot' local, if i am tracking another
owbers bird
i don't the freq of.

then i go down to CW then CWN when i get closer.

mike

oups.com...

Old April 24th 05, 02:40 AM
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Well it would help to know the exact frequency of the collar beacause
they pulse on and off and you will likely miss it during the sweep. Put
the receiver in SSB mode with wide IF filter and sweep in 1 KHz steps
and sweep manually. Also break the band up into 4 overlapping sweeps so
that you can do an exhaustive sweep until you find the frequency. Start
with an omni antenna until you find the frequency. A spectrum analyser
might be more effective though. This reminds me of a lost dog incident
here in Florida. The dogs owner tracked his dog to a large gator, whose
stomach contained the dog collar transmitter and collars from other dogs
as well.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts By: Jack Handey
Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad. And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.