Old May 31st 05, 10:17 PM
russ

Default "Whip" vs. "Rubber Duckie"

Will replacing my scanner's included "rubber-duckie" antenna with a
"whip" antenna or a longer "rubber-duckie" improve reception?

Thank you,
Russ

Old May 31st 05, 10:50 PM
Bill Crocker

Typically the longer whip antenna will do more for VHF-Low, ie; 25~50MHz.
You can also optimize it for various bands by changing it's length, (if its
a telescoping whip), shorter for higher frequencies, longer for lower
frequencies. The rubber-ducky is typically more of a wide-band antenna,
that provides mediocre performance across the spectrum, but is shorter, and
flexible. I've always been afraid of damaging a hand-held scanner when
using a telescoping whip, because it's more rigid, and could break the BNC
mount in the radio. You can also buy rubber-ducky antennas that are
optimized for one band. Radio Shack carries a good one for the 800MHz band,
that seems to work very well down into the 450MHz band as well.

Bill Crocker

"russ" wrote in message
oups.com...
Will replacing my scanner's included "rubber-duckie" antenna with a
"whip" antenna or a longer "rubber-duckie" improve reception?

Thank you,
Russ

Impedance of pull-up whip on SW Receiver? John Smith Shortwave 42 June 6th 05 05:08 AM
Why do you use a whip antenna? Dale Shortwave 11 October 5th 04 08:25 AM
S: Rubber Whip Antenna Tim Abs Antenna 3 April 5th 04 02:31 AM
Blast from the past...........102 SS whip [email protected] CB 83 November 1st 03 02:31 AM
Sony Portable versus Tabletops mike Shortwave 10 August 30th 03 11:46 PM