Old July 16th 05, 10:33 PM
Xray

Xray wrote in
9.130:

"Jim Hackett" wrote in
news:h%8Ce.11819$aY6.1801 @newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Not to mention that in the "questions" section, Someone named
damselfly75 writes to say:

I am extremely interested in this item. I have done business with you
in
the past, and have been treated with utmost respect as a buyer. All
items I have dealt with have exceeded my expectations. Thank you,
fishman495, for such positive buying experiences. respectfully,
damselfly75 Yet there is no feedback from them...
Something DOES sound fishyman"

Fishy indeed.
Even the names damselfly75 & fishman495 ring the same ding on a bell.
Hopefully this bozo will end up with the high bid on his own radio.

Item took down by ebay.
Apparently they smelled something fishy as well.

Old July 17th 05, 12:31 AM
Dave Holford

My ICOM IC-T7 does a great job on the ISS even with the stock rubber duck while it
is hanging on my belt. I can count on a good signal as soon as the ISS comes over
the horizon.

I have also managed to copy some military satellite traffic on my PRO-43, but the
signals were pretty marginal on the rubber duck. Mind you, at 45N, I'm probably on
the edge of the footprint.

Dave

DougSlug wrote:

I don't know how the military satellites in question compare, but it is
possible to pick up the amateur LEO satellites and the ISS with a handheld
and decent ducky. Of course a whip or beam works better, but if the pass is
high enough and your antenna is pointed the right direction, it can be done.
The time window is narrow, so you really have to actively chase the signal
and adjust for doppler shift as well.

- Doug

"Jeff" wrote in message

"Frank Bals" wrote in message
I've been able to pick up Military Satellites in the 260 Mhz FM range
with
mine, just using a 220 Mhz Ham Rubber Duck antenna! Most milsat listening
you need a beam antenna with a preamp, but not with the PRO-43!

Pardon my skepticism but by the time any satellite signal reaches
earth you're talking signals in the nanowatt range. Thats the reason why
you need a beam and preamp, or a dish with a LNA. And you want
us to believe a consumer grade RS handheld can do this feat with
just a rubber duck??????? Come on.

Old July 17th 05, 02:55 AM
krackula

Item took down by ebay.
Apparently they smelled something fishy as well.

take another look ..... it was back faster than ebay could pull it
Old July 17th 05, 03:39 AM
Mike

I have also picked up UHF mil satellites on my PRO-43 and stock rubber
duck. It was comms between McMurdo, Antarctica and the mainland at
around 261.?MHz This was from one of the new UHF follow on sats, which
is a little hotter than previous series but was loud and clear on the
rubber ant. The signal was first picked up using a military satcom
antenna and then I switched to the rubber ant. I have owned a lot of
scanners, commercial and mil radios and the PRO-43 is the best analog
hand held scanner I have found.
m.

Old July 17th 05, 05:27 AM
Xray

krackula wrote in
:

Item took down by ebay.
Apparently they smelled something fishy as well.

take another look ..... it was back faster than ebay could pull it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9&item=5790108
516

What a world class idiot this everly1125 must be.
I wonder if he knows that he could have got a brand new, top of the line
Icom, Alinco, AOR or Yaesu for just a bit more.

Old July 17th 05, 07:41 AM
Xray

Xray wrote in news:Xns96964A6E8EC5ewrfdgrstnetaakeanfk@
140.99.99.130:

krackula wrote in
:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ry=40979&item=

5790108
516

What a world class idiot this everly1125 must be.
I wonder if he knows that he could have got a brand new, top of the line
Icom, Alinco, AOR or Yaesu for just a bit more.

Have had a few words with this fishman.
I asked him why a decade old scanner thats worth maybe $100 tops is going
for $300 .. Anything special about it ?
He said:

"For your information, I have just recieved payment for the scanner that
you said wasn't worth much. The reason this scanner sold so quick, is
because as most Pilots are aware of, this scanner is the Pilots choice, the
pre ban pro 43, not the new ones. The person that paid over $300.00 for it,
said they are going from 275-450. at the air shows......hmmmmm. So maybe
your not the smarter than the average bear.....I know my stuff. I had this
unit since new and I know what it's worth......so see ya....."

Pilots choice ? And $450 at air shows ?
Maybe I'm missing out, but I go to 4/5 airshows a year average, and I've
never seen any bought and sold there.
Don't really think offhand that theres that many folks with that kind of
money to blow at air airshow to buy a scanner on a whim.
And what good would a 1 way radio do a pilot ? Pre ban ? That affected only
the cellular range, not a range of primary interest to pilots.
This guy is as flaky as a fresh cooked biscuit.

Old July 17th 05, 09:47 AM
Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS

"Jeff" wrote:

Pardon my skepticism but by the time any satellite signal reaches
earth you're talking signals in the nanowatt range. Thats the reason why
you need a beam and preamp, or a dish with a LNA. And you want
us to believe a consumer grade RS handheld can do this feat with
just a rubber duck??????? Come on.

It is definetely possible, BTDT. Why should there any difference to my
satellite handheld phone, which also works just with some flimsy
antenna?!

regards - Ralph

--

Want to get in touch? http://www.radio-link.net/whereisralph.txt
Old July 17th 05, 01:58 PM
Jeff

"Ralph A. Schmid, DK5RAS" wrote in message
"Jeff" wrote:

Pardon my skepticism but by the time any satellite signal reaches
earth you're talking signals in the nanowatt range. Thats the reason why
you need a beam and preamp, or a dish with a LNA. And you want
us to believe a consumer grade RS handheld can do this feat with
just a rubber duck??????? Come on.

It is definetely possible, BTDT. Why should there any difference to my
satellite handheld phone, which also works just with some flimsy
antenna?!

Years ago I bought a Drake TR 270 to do amateur sat. work.
(2mtr. uplink and 440 downlink) when I figured out that I was going
to have to get for an antenna and possibly a dual rotor setup to track
the sat. I dropped the idea. I think at that time you needed a beam
with about 12db of gain for it to work reliably. That translates into
about a 14-15 element dual polarized beam. That is one big antenna.
Plus any mil-sat equipment Ive ever seen invariably use the little
mini dish's to use in conjunction with it. Thats where I got the idea.
I guess things have changed. I know the signals that come down
from space are extremely low power,, with the possible exception
to ISS, I think they may be beaming their signals to earth and running
at a higher power so people can pick them up easily. A geo-synchronous
sat. at 25,000 miles out running on 40-50 watts isnt much power.
The OP gave me some freqs. to try on my VR 5K and Im going to
give it a shot and see what I come up with.. I guess I had a case of
"open mouth and insert foot"

Old July 17th 05, 02:01 PM
Jeff

"Xray" wrote in message .130...
krackula wrote in
:

Item took down by ebay.
Apparently they smelled something fishy as well.

take another look ..... it was back faster than ebay could pull it
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9&item=5790108
516

What a world class idiot this everly1125 must be.
I wonder if he knows that he could have got a brand new, top of the line
Icom, Alinco, AOR or Yaesu for just a bit more.

The whole thing looks fishy,, it gets taken down by ebay and
within a few hours its back up with a buy it now price and this
dweeb buys it instantly.............

Old July 18th 05, 04:11 PM
Mike

Can be easily done with a PRO-43, its nearly as sensitive as the radios
used for satcom. One of the early satcom radios (PSC-3) used a simple
short whip to receive selective calling signals via the satellite while
the radio was on a G.I.s back. He would then attach the larger CP
antenna to transmit back to the satellite. You can uplink to some the
UHF military satellites with as little as 5w into a CP 5dBi gain
antenna. Normal power is about 20w. A dish for UHF sats?? Maybe you
should read up on typical equipment used for this....