Old January 8th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Egon

Default Help a newbie.

Hello all,

I am interested in getting a simple analog rig for home. I have used a
friends ICOM IC-R71A quite a bit and really enjoy just dinking around,
searching frequencies for something interesting. I'd love to pick up a
used R71A, but there don't seem to be to many around. I am also
concerned about longevity, parts, etc. Is there a new unit that would
be good for a starter kit (read not too expensive) that is as simple to
operate as the R71A? Should I just not be concerned and pick up a used
R71A? Also, can someone recommend a good (easy to understand)
beginners book that deals with antennae (long-wire, directional, etc.)
and tech. behind pulling in traffic?

Thank you very much for any information that you can provide, and I
appreciate your patience.

V/r
Egon

Old January 9th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Jim Hackett

The R-75 is the replacement for the R-71. It is quite a nice rig. I have
one and enjoy it very much...

"Egon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello all,

I am interested in getting a simple analog rig for home. I have used a
friends ICOM IC-R71A quite a bit and really enjoy just dinking around,
searching frequencies for something interesting. I'd love to pick up a
used R71A, but there don't seem to be to many around. I am also
concerned about longevity, parts, etc. Is there a new unit that would
be good for a starter kit (read not too expensive) that is as simple to
operate as the R71A? Should I just not be concerned and pick up a used
R71A? Also, can someone recommend a good (easy to understand)
beginners book that deals with antennae (long-wire, directional, etc.)
and tech. behind pulling in traffic?

Thank you very much for any information that you can provide, and I
appreciate your patience.

V/r
Egon

A04, B04, etc. SW Schedule Designations - Newbie Questions Robert11 Shortwave 3 April 21st 04 08:15 PM
Newbie questions from southern Utah Funky Trilobyte Shortwave 6 March 13th 04 05:25 AM
Newbie abr Homebrew 20 September 29th 03 04:07 PM
Newbie abr Homebrew 0 September 28th 03 06:46 PM
newbie Robert Digital 4 September 11th 03 03:11 PM