Old January 26th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Adam Butler

Default AOR AR8200 MK3 software?

What is the best software for the AOR 8200 MK3?

I'm familiar with Gommerts AR8200 app but have not tried it yet as I don't
have a Win98 machine handy.

Any others that are good mainly for backing up the radios contents as well
as loading new?

I'm not looking for a control app.

So far, the ones I have seen including the one from AOR do not allow any
entries above 2.0 GHz.
I do not understand why the makers can't make an adjustment that will allow
the entries above 2.0 GHz?
Even Gommert of Butel says he has no plans to support the 3.0 GHZ coverage
of the MK3 version.

So, I'm looking for any other suggestions.

Thanks Everyone!

Old January 26th 06, 10:39 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Adam Butler

Yes, at work we have a lightning detection system that uses freqs in the
2.7 range.
The system has a remote sensor and transmits data back to the receiver for
analysis.
By default, the system hops frequencies which is normal but during a storm
event that contains local lightning, I have seen this system stop on a fixed
channel and transmit it's data plus wait for a reply from the receiver
before it hops again.
This is between 2.69 and 2.70 GHz.
When the receiver is locked, I can actually get a rs232 output and read
supposed lightning strike values.
I'm not good at interpreting the readings yet but to answer your question,
yes I do monitor frequencies above 2.0 GHz.

Old January 26th 06, 10:58 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Adam Butler

Forgot to add that my current receiver is a modified C band satellite LNB
with the output centered on 650 MHz.
This is fed into an Icom R7000.
Works well as long as you do the math.
I bought the AR8200 MK3 in order to eliminate the math!

Old January 27th 06, 10:56 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
R1rob

Good to hear.
Interesting stuff. Got a URL.

Rob

Old February 11th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Adam Butler

The lightning detection system itself is made by a company called Thor
Guard.
The theory of that part I'm familiar with.
The system as supplied by Thor used a 920 MHz data link which linked the
"detector" too a remote alarm or display unit.
This remote unit displays in a crude way, different values which determine
if lightning is possible.
That part still works and only the radio link between the remote sensor and
the display has been changed.
In our case, we already used many frequencies in the 928 MHz band which
interfered with the Thor Guard's remote operation.
So a local Avionics engineer designed the system on 2.7 GHz.
I think it actually required a license from the FCC as it no longer operated
in the free 928 MHz. band.
I may be able to get some fcc numbers from one of the receivers but I don't
think it was ever commercially available. may have even been an experimental
license.

The person who set it all up passed away a few months ago and I'm trying to
understand how it works!

"R1rob" wrote in message
Good to hear.
Interesting stuff. Got a URL.