Old March 20th 05, 05:38 AM
§ Dr. Artaud §

Default Radio Software Induced Madness

They say that you can't lose somthing that you don't have, but I am
living proof to the contrary.

I am losing my mind. It shouldn't take long, there isn't much of it.

I have a Yaesu FRG-100 and I downloaded free software for it, but it only
works on the CAT interface. I don't have the cable.

I have the Icom R-75 and I downloaded shareware software for it that
works with the serial interface on the radio (RX Plus), but it has
expired. Nice stuff, I want to purchase, but the ability of the software
to function is based on the "Register to" name for my computer, which is
a long series of numbers, as I bought this laptop from Gateway. Not
really a problem, unless I need to reload Windows and the "Registered
to" name changes. Then the software won't work. I would be out $80.

I downloaded a freeware program for the Icom R-75, looks impressive, Ham
Radio Deluxe, but it only works with the CAT interface. I don't have the
cable.

I am looking for scanner software for my Uniden 785D, I found a nice
site, looks like good software, I think that I tried the trialware
version of it in the past. (When I had a different computer). The site
says that it won't work with USB to Serial converters, that the computer
must have a serial port, and I don't have one.

Why is there such difficulty in supporting USB to Serial converters? Why
the fetish with the CAT interface on the Icom R-75 when it has a serial
port?

Is there any reasonably priced software for the Icom R-75 and the Uniden
785D that would work with the Computer's USB to Serial interface and the
Radio's serial ports?

Thanks.

Dr. Artaud

Old March 20th 05, 05:39 PM
m II

§ Dr. Artaud § wrote:
[...]

This may be of help. It's not that complicated and could be put together in a
short time. If you build two, the time taken for each will be greatly reduced. A
small preprinted project board could replace the printed circuit board.

http://www.min.at/OE1RIB/CAT/Default.htm

The printed circuit board resembles the solderless one pictured here, at least
for shape and size.

http://members.axion.net/~rduff/rcxprototype.jpg

You would stick the components through the holes and solder. this plastic board
allows you to transfer the components directly from the prototyping board shown
above. It has the same connections/routes as the spring loaded solderless
version shown above.

mike

Old March 20th 05, 05:43 PM
m II

m II wrote:
§ Dr. Artaud § wrote:

[...]

Sorry for the dxAce style double posting. This looks like what the board should
be: Available at fine electronics outlets everywhere.

Part number

22-508___________________$8.95

http://demarelectronics.com/prototyping_boards.htm

mike
Old March 20th 05, 05:50 PM
dxAce

m II wrote:

m II wrote:
§ Dr. Artaud § wrote:

[...]

You know where to put it 'tard boy.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 20th 05, 06:37 PM

For cables,cards,monitors,I reccomend checking with www.si87.com and
www.monitorworld.com Last year I bought a $60.00 fifteen feet long
VGA cable from si87.com in Bozeman,Montana.
cuhulin

Old March 22nd 05, 02:40 AM
m II

dxAce wrote:

Sorry for the dxAce style double posting.

You know where to put it 'tard boy.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

I've told you before. I'm not interested in your homosexual advances. Stop
sending those damn flowers.

mike
Old March 22nd 05, 11:13 AM
dxAce

m II wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Sorry for the dxAce style double posting.

You know where to put it 'tard boy.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

I've told you before. I'm not interested in your homosexual advances.

Whose homosexual advances are you interested in then, 'tard boy?

LMAO

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old March 23rd 05, 02:31 AM
§ Dr. Artaud §

"§ Dr. Artaud §" wrote in
:

Having forestalled my purchase of RX Plus (I used the Demo period, very
nice program), due to my concerns about not being able to use the program
on a future computer, I happened to download HAM Radio Deluxe.

Superb. Has anyone here tried it? I use the Icom R-75, (among others, but
for the sake of discussion), with the serial port connection to my
laptop. Well, to be more specific, the R-75 Serial connection to the USB
on my laptop.

Anyway, it was my understanding that I needed a CAT connection to use HAM
Radio Deluxe, but apparently not. I had a friend (his DSL vs. my Dial UP)
download the CD Image (image being a compilation of files, not a
picture), initially a zip file 69 MB in size, that is unzipped onto the
CD, producing a CD suitable for distribution (at HAM clubs, to friends,
etc, but it must be distributed free). Loaded it onto my computer, and
ran the program, figuring that I could learn something about it before
purchasing the CAT adapter. I was astonished to see that the display in
HAM Radio Deluxe had the same frequency as my radio, which was on at the
time. Moved the volume control in the program, and the radio grew silent.
Moved it the other way, louder. It was actually working.

http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/index.html

This program is great. I downloaded the version 3.0, but I think that in
order to have the bandscope, the Beta version 3.1 Build 579 or later is
needed.
http://www.ham-radio.ch/kits/CD%20Im...CDv031b579.zip

The official released version, 3.0 Build 531
http://www.ham-radio.ch/kits/CD%20Im...CDv030b531.zip

Though I had a CD made of the Official Release version, downloading and
installing the Beta Kits, available here, brought the software up to the
level I needed for the bandscope.
http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/downloads.html#Beta_Kits
They are 7 MB in size, and simply install over the existing software.

Anyway, all the controls seem to be available and functioning. This
through the USB port, to a USB to Serial converter that I bought through
RT systems (they sell Amateur Radio Software).

It has to be seen to be believed. There is literally too much to write
about. Bandscope (in versions 3.1 Build 579 and up) volume, squelch, Dual
Passband Tuning Controls, RF Gain, NR Level, and much more. And it's
free. Kudos to the writers of this great program.

Dr. Artaud

Old March 23rd 05, 02:33 AM

Don't look at me! I am not a freak.
cuhulin

Old March 23rd 05, 02:54 AM
Honus

wrote in message
Don't look at me! I am not a freak.

Take some advice, cuhulin...don't seek a second opinion.