Old February 2nd 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Paul Hirose

Default orbiting space suit on 145.99

The Space Station crew has to dispose of an old space suit, so they
are going to use it for an experiment. It's been equipped with a radio
transmitter to broadcast greetings, data, and a slow scan TV image on
145.99 MHz. The batteries should last for a few days. Plan is to
jettison the suit Feb 3.

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=18900

According to one of the links, the transmitter output will be half a
watt.

--
Paul Hirose
To reply by email remove INVALID

Old February 3rd 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
nn8b

The crew is scheduled to EVA at about 4:30 this afternoon and deploy
the "suit-sat" at that time.

If you want to track the ISS try this link:
http://science.nasa.gov/realtime/jtr.../JTrack3D.html

If the ISS / suit sat is in range there will be doppler effect to the
transmitted signal on 145.990 mHz. To compensate set the receive
frequency a little higher on the incoming pass to say 145.995. Then
when the sig gets noisy try to decrease freq to 145.990 and then when
it gets weak again decrease the freq again to about 145.985 as it is on
its outgoing pass. This will alow you to hear the suit-sat longer.

Looks like it will only be on north america in the early morning
though.

Have fun, and good luck listening.

Don

Old February 3rd 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
tg

"nn8b" wrote in message ups.com...
The crew is scheduled to EVA at about 4:30 this afternoon and deploy
the "suit-sat" at that time.

If you want to track the ISS try this link:
http://science.nasa.gov/realtime/jtr.../JTrack3D.html

thanks for this link but I couldn't see how it shows where the ISS is. I saw a picture of the earth with little dots around it but
I couldn't ascertain any info from it all.

Old February 4th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Al Klein

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 22:40:02 -0000, "tg"
wrote:

"nn8b" wrote in message ups.com...
The crew is scheduled to EVA at about 4:30 this afternoon and deploy
the "suit-sat" at that time.

If you want to track the ISS try this link:
http://science.nasa.gov/realtime/jtr.../JTrack3D.html

thanks for this link but I couldn't see how it shows where the ISS is. I saw a picture of the earth with little dots around it but
I couldn't ascertain any info from it all.

The red line is the orbit of the ISS - the ISS itself is where it says
"STATION". At the time I'm writing this - about 7:53 PM EST Friday
evening - it's over the southern tip of South America.
Old February 4th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
tg

wrote:

"nn8b" wrote in message ups.com...
The crew is scheduled to EVA at about 4:30 this afternoon and deploy
the "suit-sat" at that time.

If you want to track the ISS try this link:
http://science.nasa.gov/realtime/jtr.../JTrack3D.html

thanks for this link but I couldn't see how it shows where the ISS is. I saw a picture of the earth with little dots around it
but
I couldn't ascertain any info from it all.

The red line is the orbit of the ISS - the ISS itself is where it says
"STATION". At the time I'm writing this - about 7:53 PM EST Friday
evening - it's over the southern tip of South America.

ah yes thankyou I'm getting it now.
when I first looked the station was in grey and no-where near the red line which I found confusing. Later I realise it was out of
sight - on the other side of the globe and it's now showing in white passing over NSW in Oz.. Its orbit doesn't show it going near
the UK though (sob).

Old February 4th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Buzzygirl

Unfortunately, SuitSat was a bust. It stopped transmitting after only two
orbits, ostensibly because the batteries got too cold.

Jackie

Old February 4th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
tg

"Buzzygirl" wrote in message ...
Unfortunately, SuitSat was a bust. It stopped transmitting after only two
orbits, ostensibly because the batteries got too cold.

Jackie

thanks for the info. So I can read more, have you got a cite for that?

Old February 4th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Buzzygirl

"tg" wrote in message

thanks for the info. So I can read more, have you got a cite for that?

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=1579240
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches...xp12_eva2.html

.... and a bunch of "not-heard" reports before the announcement:
http://suitsat.org/

Apparently, its signal was picked up briefly and faintly in Japan before it
stopped altogether.

Jackie

Old February 5th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Buzzygirl

and its now back up with several reports

I imagine it will be very hard to hear without a high-gain antenna.

Jackie